Are we all just sheep

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Mar Wed 05, 2008 8:11 pm

SWHorn wrote:
horizons1 wrote:I once walked all the way up to the Haunted Mansion porch (at DL) by taking the right line while the left line was about a 20 minute wait. We just kept zig zagging through the queue while everyone stared at us. It was awesome.
Like at HM in WDW, I hate doing this because people think you are cutting in line. But, when there isn't a single file line and you are supposed to fill in all available space, then that is what I am going to do.
There was almost a fight at the Kilimanjaro Safaris because of the "fill in all the available space". One guy was trying to get to his wife and kids, who moved forward to fill in the available space. Another guy felt he got cut in front of, and would not let the guy join his wife. Insisting he remain where he was. As the man and wife tried to explain to this "mad" man, the "mad" man was startd to get realy aggresive, tell'n the woman to shut up and more. The cast member did nothing. The cast member said that it happens all the time. So with no one coming to the rescue, I start to move in for the kill. My wife saw what I was up to, and stood between me and him. It took awhile, but I finaly cooled off. (And it wasn't even my wife he told to shut up)

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Thu 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Another Disneyland cut through is the walkway by King Triton's statue. Really small short cut but it cuts out about a couple of minutes, it takes you from the Astro-Orbitier to the walkway to the right of the castle. Then, also along that walkway on the right of the castle, much further up the road there is a walkway the starts by the Storybookland Canal boats and ends by the Fantasy Faire Gift Shop. If you are dealing with parade crowds this will get you to or from ToonTown much faster.

You know what I'm moving this to the General Resorts section since we are all talking about the different parks.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

ambiguity123
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by ambiguity123 » Mar Tue 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Sometimes the going to the left side of the line works and sometimes it doesn't. On our last trip there, I was wanting to try it out, but I don't think we saved much time if any. I like the "secret" walkways, they do shave off a good amount of time.

To get on attractions, I love doing the single rider thing, even if I'm with a group of people. Sure, we probably won't ride together, but once in awhile, that's okay, especially if it means you can get to a bunch more attractions.
DisneyBakers

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Mar Tue 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:when it comes to lines with a right and left side, human nature is to always go to the right, at least thats what I was told by whoever it was that taught my traditions class. I always go to the left line cause I know it will be shorter. I worst is when someone is standing at soemthing that is closed to relax, and people begin to wait. I have seen that before.
It does make sense, because in the USA, we drive on the right hand side, and entrances tend to be on that side as well.
Going to the left was one of the recommendations in a guide book I read awhile back for Disneyland. We tried it once and it worked well. My son is lefthanded and he tends to go to the left. I call him my left of center son! ha ha ha
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

ahuerta
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

crowd control

Post by ahuerta » Apr Wed 02, 2008 4:31 pm

My teenage daughter once climbed up on a lamppost in the garden circle in front of the castle at Disneyland and told everyone to please move to the left...which everyone did. My family proceeded to just walk past the "line". Goes to show you...we are so conditioned to following the crowd!

A.

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » Apr Mon 07, 2008 8:22 am

Great post! Yes, I've noticed the "sheep" mentality. Our family likes to really soak-in the atmosphere of each park, and we've had so many people follow us onto a sidestreet at the MK, or down a path at the AK, and it is hilarious when they realize that they've followed us to a dead end.
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

MintJulepRoo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

How true that is

Post by MintJulepRoo » Apr Thu 24, 2008 12:41 am

I agree with this notion of people being sheep. Most of the time, people just follow what others do. It is important not to get caught up in this odd phenomenon. Don't miss the important experiences because you were in a hurry and just followed the crowd.
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

rodders
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by rodders » Apr Thu 24, 2008 4:31 am

On my last trip to WDW we adopted a much slower pace and followed other people less. I actually felt like we saw a whole lot more than my previous Griswold family style trip. As for people following, I see it in everyday life regardless of where I am. Human nature I suppose.
1980, 2000, 2005 and 2008 all had plenty of magic. Hoping for a bit more in 2010.

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Apr Thu 24, 2008 10:31 am

Next time your there have your whole family stop on the bridge heading into adventureland and look away from the castle down the river and point saying "wow...that is so cool" see how many people you can get to stop on the bridge and join you wanting to see they think you see... To add to the fun tell them you saw an Aligator and it ate one of the birds... laugh
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Thu 24, 2008 11:16 am

rodders wrote:As for people following, I see it in everyday life regardless of where I am. Human nature I suppose.
It's like when entering / leaving a building. I've see multiple doors can be used to pass through, but it seems people will wait to use the door that is already opened and people are passing through as opposed to opening another door.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Tue 29, 2008 10:44 pm

LOL. I do find it is just a game of follow the leader in the parks. I like to stay off of that and find I benefit it since I can avoid the crowds.

The best has to be everyone entering World of Disney through one door. I just go to the next door where nobody is entering or exiting.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

keneka

Post by keneka » Jun Mon 09, 2008 1:20 am

I think alot of people don't plan ahead at all when visiting the parks and just look upon others for guidence. Its like when you point at something and people stop to see what your looking at.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Mon 09, 2008 1:38 am

i always find it pretty funny when i see this happen whenever i go. i get a good laugh out of it.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jun Mon 09, 2008 2:24 pm

I think alot of people don't plan ahead at all when visiting the parks and just look upon others for guidence. Its like when you point at something and people stop to see what your looking at.
haha :lol: When me and my dad were in Pagani Forest at the part just across the bridge, everyone was looking for the gorillas on one side. My dad went over to the other side and called me over after a few moments. Me and everyone else began walking over to the other side of the path. It turns out my dad just wanted to point out to me "the biggest leaf he had ever seen". Everyone else was like, "Where's the gorilla? I don't see it" :lol:

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jun Mon 09, 2008 5:53 pm

i have seen this but our family does something like red rover where we always hold each others hands.
Red rover, red rover, bring mickey right over!
:mickey: