Are we all just sheep

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Are we all just sheep

Post by ericpabear » Feb Sat 23, 2008 9:38 pm

My family and I have noticed most people do not look around, they just follow the person in front of them. When entering the parks, we always go to the furthest security check point, and gate, etc.. There are no lines. Most people just get in line right behind the other families that are right in front of them. No matter how long the line is. While at Animal Kingdom, I was in an unusualy long line for a fast pass. I decided to walk along side of the line to see what the problem was. Only one cast member was working at this location. She was trying to help one family with a jamed-up fast pass machine. Every one was waiting behind this one machine. There were several machines available, all working. I walked up, got my fast pass, then started to direct traffic. Then one night, again at the Animal Kingdom, we stopped under a light to look at a map. When we had finished, there was a line that started forming behind us. Why? What for??? Who knows. Just sheep?

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Feb Sat 23, 2008 9:43 pm

:mrgreen: Awesome post. I laughed.

And I completely agree. What's really fun is to ask someone what the line they are standing in is for just to find out they don't know.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Re: Are we all just sheep

Post by acp » Feb Sun 24, 2008 5:16 am

ericpabear wrote:My family and I have noticed most people do not look around, they just follow the person in front of them. When entering the parks, we always go to the furthest security check point, and gate, etc.. There are no lines. Most people just get in line right behind the other families that are right in front of them. No matter how long the line is. While at Animal Kingdom, I was in an unusualy long line for a fast pass. I decided to walk along side of the line to see what the problem was. Only one cast member was working at this location. She was trying to help one family with a jamed-up fast pass machine. Every one was waiting behind this one machine. There were several machines available, all working. I walked up, got my fast pass, then started to direct traffic.
I've done this before, too.
Then one night, again at the Animal Kingdom, we stopped under a light to look at a map. When we had finished, there was a line that started forming behind us. Why? What for??? Who knows. Just sheep?
Heh. Perhaps they were queueing to look at your map ;)

You should have slowly started walking around the park to see if they all followed you ;)

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Feb Sun 24, 2008 5:38 pm

Well, there is the whole group mentality thing. People are just unfamiliar with things, and sadly, they can't help it. Brains are also on vacation, and we just have to forgive them for it.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Feb Sun 24, 2008 5:40 pm

This is kind of funny and I have seen it, too. We should all take the time, especially at WDW, to look around and enjoy the place. I used to work for a meat packing company and we used goats to lead the sheep up the ramp and into the plant! So, following like a sheep can be dangerous. We do tend to queue up automatically these days.

WishUponaStar
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by WishUponaStar » Feb Sun 24, 2008 6:03 pm

I've definately seen this behavior over and over again. I think we're just more aware of our surroundings because we're very familiar with them. Many families just "follow the crowd" because they probably don't know the Disney ins & outs & are too focused to really look around them for shortcuts.

It is funny to see sometimes. I'm just thankful I know how to make my day faster & easier.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10701;442/st/20081008/e/WDW/k/39e1/event.png[/img]

stinoi
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by stinoi » Feb Sun 24, 2008 6:46 pm

I can't believe that people lined up behind you under the light! I would have paid to see that.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Feb Sun 24, 2008 7:20 pm

when it comes to lines with a right and left side, human nature is to always go to the right, at least thats what I was told by whoever it was that taught my traditions class. I always go to the left line cause I know it will be shorter. The worst is when someone is standing at something that is closed to relax, and people begin to wait. I have seen that before.
Last edited by yodiwan1 on Feb Sun 24, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Feb Sun 24, 2008 7:57 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:when it comes to lines with a right and left side, human nature is to always go to the right, at least thats what I was told by whoever it was that taught my traditions class. I always go to the left line cause I know it will be shorter. I worst is when someone is standing at soemthing that is closed to relax, and people begin to wait. I have seen that before.
It does make sense, because in the USA, we drive on the right hand side, and entrances tend to be on that side as well.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Feb Sun 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:when it comes to lines with a right and left side, human nature is to always go to the right, at least thats what I was told by whoever it was that taught my traditions class. I always go to the left line cause I know it will be shorter. I worst is when someone is standing at soemthing that is closed to relax, and people begin to wait. I have seen that before.
It does make sense, because in the USA, we drive on the right hand side, and entrances tend to be on that side as well.
also helps that the vast majority of people are right handed. that, and in the case of PotC in WDW has more to see in the right side of the queue as opposed to the left...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Feb Sun 24, 2008 10:25 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:when it comes to lines with a right and left side, human nature is to always go to the right, at least thats what I was told by whoever it was that taught my traditions class. I always go to the left line cause I know it will be shorter. The worst is when someone is standing at something that is closed to relax, and people begin to wait. I have seen that before.
We always notice the same thing and go to the left, as well. And it is usually noticeably shorter when you get to the end.

The really funny thing is to watch a line like PotC when EVERYONE is going to the right. Then, as soon as you go to the left, everyone follows you on that side.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Feb Mon 25, 2008 12:12 am

yodiwan1 wrote:when it comes to lines with a right and left side, human nature is to always go to the right, at least thats what I was told by whoever it was that taught my traditions class. I always go to the left line cause I know it will be shorter. The worst is when someone is standing at something that is closed to relax, and people begin to wait. I have seen that before.
I've seen that so many times. Me being a lefty usually go for the left, making me quite different from the average human :D

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Feb Mon 25, 2008 9:10 am

ahah...funny

It is funny how its human nature to just follow the pack. I see this all the time in WDW. The best is going to a counter service restaurant in MK, like Peco's Bills or Cosmic Rays. There will be a long line on one side of the register, usually the right. I walk right past the line and go to the other side. I have done it so many times its really sad...

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Feb Mon 25, 2008 9:41 am

The best moment was waiting in line for a Spaceship Earth preview during Early December. Now there was a lot of people there who knew what they were waiting for but there was also alot of people who didnt know what they were waiting for. All they know is that there was a line and they figured theyd wait in line for it. We asked some people behind us and they all look confused (reading their maps and stuff). We had to tell them that this ride may not open today, it is just in a preview mode so I wouldnt waste my time. Mind you, this line wrapped all the way to Project Tomorrow. Once the manager came by and told everyone the same thing I told the people behind me..half the line disappeared!
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Feb Mon 25, 2008 2:47 pm

I also love it when there are multiple doors into an area or attraction, and every person will wait forever to go through the door that everyone is using rather than taking some initiative and opening another door.