No votes

Total votes: 21

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Thu 31, 2008 9:35 am

acp wrote:
js3901 wrote:
disneylandmom wrote:For those that have been to both what are the major differences between the two? I have only been to DLR.
I've never been to DLR personally. But, from every show/video I've ever seen and every person I've talked to, here are the differences I've found:

-biggest difference is size. Orlando is twice the size of Anaheim, and I believe it's also bigger than any other MK in the world.
Disneyland Paris has the biggest MK style park at 140 acres, not WDW's MK at 107 acres.

Andy.
ok, that's why I said "I believe". I've never been to any parks other than those in WDW. I just know that MK WDW is twice the size of DLR.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

HSolo29
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HSolo29 » Jan Thu 31, 2008 10:16 am

Although I appreciate the "extra" rides at DLR, I still have a soft spot for Florida's MK. There's just something about the atmosphere and overall theming that draws me in everytime. So, of course my vote went to Florida. :wink:
"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation."

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jan Thu 31, 2008 5:53 pm

I don't think I could possibly vote until I've seen them all. Now there's incentive... I wouldn't want to leave a poll unanswered. :wink: :D

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Feb Fri 01, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm going to hold off on voting on this until I can get to see all the parks for myself. I have voted in the past and have changed my mind afterward, and you can't change the vote once it is cast, so I won't vote yet. As it stands right now I lean heavily on the side of Disneyland. It just feels better, when I'm in WDW I feel like I am in a tourist zone, but in DL I don't.....it's hard to explain.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

mageloff
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by mageloff » Feb Fri 01, 2008 2:26 pm

I have only been to WDW and DL - I grew up going to DL and now live in Florida near WDW. Though I love them both DL will always be my first favorite.
Nick

Jambo Wilson! Simba One is entering the reserve at Little Ituri Forest.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Feb Tue 12, 2008 1:18 pm

I believe that most people who picked Florida's MK haven't been to Anaheim's.
~Steve

mageloff

Post by mageloff » Feb Tue 12, 2008 1:44 pm

spaulo, I agree - Walt began the magic there and for that they will never compare.
Nick

indysoarin19
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by indysoarin19 » Feb Tue 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Having been to WDW twice and growing up in SoCal, I gotta say Disneyland. Though there is a slight bias in that I have many more memories at DL than WDW, I also like DL more because it feels more intimate. It also has my favorite land in a Disney park: New Orleans Square. And to top it off, it has Indiana Jones, Nemo, Matterhorn, and the better versions of Pirates, Space, and Thunder.
Fixing cars as an Autopian mechanic!

mageloff

Post by mageloff » Feb Tue 12, 2008 6:07 pm

indysoarin19, I grew up in NoCal and have spent 16 years here in Orlando and I agree DL is best - the memories are there but you know DL does feel more intimate. I like that about it. :mickey:
Nick

indysoarin19
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by indysoarin19 » Feb Thu 14, 2008 12:26 pm

YZFDonor wrote:you guys make me wonder.... If WDW MK is so much bigger than DLR MK, why is WDW MK missing rides? Where in the heck is DLR MK putting them????

:?:
CA has a very low water table, which allows for stuff to be built underground. Rides like Indiana Jones, Pirates, Soarin' Over CA, Tower of Terror, and Haunted Mansion have some underground portion in CA. In Florida, the water table is very high, so everything is built from the ground up (the main reason FL's Tower is 60 ft. taller and FL's Soarin' hanger is bigger). So some rides can be shoehorned into DL (like Indy was) that cannot be done the same way at WDW.
Fixing cars as an Autopian mechanic!

mageloff

Post by mageloff » Feb Sat 16, 2008 9:47 am

Marketing also plays a big part. If both parts were identical many people would never need or want to see both parks...
Nick

cap396
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cap396 » Feb Sat 16, 2008 11:17 am

Rides like Indiana Jones, Pirates, Soarin' Over CA, Tower of Terror, and Haunted Mansion have some underground portion in CA.

Space Mountian is also 15 feet underground. The Florida Space Mountain building had to be built a lot larger since it cannot go underground, and that made it much more expensive.

mageloff

Post by mageloff » Feb Mon 18, 2008 10:05 am

It is interesting to note that the MK at WDW is built up a good 2 stories above ground level... this is how they still have the service level below and are still able to go "under ground" even in Florida.
Nick

MintJulepRoo

Disneyland

Post by MintJulepRoo » Apr Thu 24, 2008 12:46 am

Anaheim by far. It is the only park that Walt Disney walked through upon its completion. And also, it feels more magical. Oh and the most important factor of all: it has more churros.
Last edited by MintJulepRoo on May Sun 04, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

rodders

Post by rodders » Apr Thu 24, 2008 4:22 am

Can I return to this poll in a few years when I have seen them all? :D
I have only been to WDW. I have no excuse for not popping over to Paris. And my friend now lives in Cali so I suppose that I should visit him sometime soon.
1980, 2000, 2005 and 2008 all had plenty of magic. Hoping for a bit more in 2010.