Fantasmic! Walt Disney World or Disneyland

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cap396
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Fantasmic! Walt Disney World or Disneyland

Post by cap396 » Jan Fri 18, 2008 2:19 pm

I have seen Fantasmic only in California, but not Florida How do the two compare? I saw parts of Florida on YouTube, and it looked like the show-boat scene doesn't even come close to the Mark Twain at Disneyland. What do you think? What other differences are there between the two?

nancynohorse
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by nancynohorse » Jan Sat 19, 2008 12:29 pm

The biggest difference was having a seating area, really! At WDW, it's set in an outdoor theatre, apart from the rest of the Disney Studios, so its a different experience that way.
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

YZFDonor
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by YZFDonor » Jan Sat 19, 2008 1:36 pm

I have listened to the DLR version on SR many times as it is requested more than the WDW version. Having said that, the scenes are different as well. I would suspect, although I have never seen the DLR version, that the WDW version would be slightly better with a dedicated platform for the show. I know I prefer the music from WDW over the DLR version.

East Coast Rules! :)

billville

Post by billville » Jan Sat 19, 2008 3:04 pm

YZFDonor wrote:East Coast Rules! :)
Sure...when youre not fighting through hurricanes, snowstorms, and other flurries mother nature throws at ya! :wink:

I completely disagree with the song aspect. I think the DLR version has some great beats and really cool additions. Ive never seen the WDW version but have heard the track many, many times enough to where I like the DLR version way better! The monkey scene towards the beginning rules! Also when the pirate ship comes out and the cannon blasts.....awesome!!

Im completely open-minded when it comes to this stuff..and it has nothing to do with me never going to WDW. I hope to someday make my first visit there...really soon! :mrgreen:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3774/userbar506533aa1.gif[/img][/url]

"Now remember, magnifying glasses are for looking at little things.......not for burning little things. See Ya!!!"

YZFDonor
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by YZFDonor » Jan Sat 19, 2008 3:56 pm

billville,
The monkey scene towards the beginning rules!
I actually dislike that part the most...
Also when the pirate ship comes out and the cannon blasts.....awesome!!
That's in the WDW version... scares the crud out of all my first time visitors! i love doing that to them!!

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jan Sat 19, 2008 4:36 pm

I haven't been to the Disney World version in a long time, but the Mark Twain in Disneyland was bigger and better. Also, I thought the pirate ship was only in Disneyland (the Columbia of course). The seating in Disney World is nice, but none too comfortable!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Sat 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Esmeralda wrote: The seating in Disney World is nice, but none too comfortable!
I agree to this wholeheartedly. We (Dr. Ravenscroft and I) were among the first people into theater back in December 2006, and we sat there for a good 45 monutes to an hour BEFORE the show. had to shift around quite a bit. next year, I'm bringing a stadium pad to sit on. something that'll easily squish into a backpack.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jan Sat 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Each has its good and bad, but personally the Disneyland version is better.

To me, the WDW version uses too much Disney film footage to pass time in the show. The part with the bubbles, the part with the "enter the cave of wonders!" and the villains laughing seem really forced and fake.

I enjoy the transition from the Pocahontas fight scene to the princess floats, but nothing can compare to the huge pirate and Hook vs Pan and the lost boys scene aboard the Columbia. That boat gets so, so close to the audience, and you feel like you're part of it.

And, the tiny steamboat cannot compare to the huge Mark Twain with all characters on it, dancing with the streamers. It makes for a much better climax.

The fact that it takes place right on Tom Sawyer's island, is awesome as well, because there is not hint of a stage show during the day.

The one in Disneyland seems more intimate because you are literally sitting with strangers on the floor. And at the very beginning, it's pitch black and then BAM- bright lights! But then, compared to WDW's version, it seems a little disjointed.

Then again, at WDW, you don't have to get a huge blanket or spread your legs out wide to save space for people.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

saritajuanita
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by saritajuanita » Jan Mon 21, 2008 3:31 am

Well, I'll confess to a SoCal prejudice (gotta defend the home town), but even acknowledging that bias, the Disneyland version is simply better: the script is tighter (no pocahontas numbers), the viewing area is much more immediate (you can feel the heat from the flames), and the boats are so much more dramatic. Of course, I've seen the DLR version many, many times, and I've only seen the Florida version once, and that was from the way back row.

Of course, that's part of my point: Disneyland does the show twice nightly. Locals know that the secret is to wait for the second show, because then people can't stake out the good spots early. When I was in Florida, we only had three days to do all four parks. Spending two hours sitting and waiting in order to get a good seat for Fantasmic was simply reasonable way to allocate time. Furthermore, I constantly found myself comparing the Florida version to the DLR version, and finding the Florida version lacking. I kept turning to my mother, who's never seen the DLR version, during the show and pointing out the things that were "missing," like the Mark Twain and the Columbia. DLR's Fantasmic always leaves me with a "wow." From my vantage point (and that of all the other people around me), the Florida version was more of a "meh." It's like Tiki Room Classic versus Under New Management - there's really no comparison.
"Pretty soon we'll be underwater - I mean, under<i>way</i>."

"Careful of the little ones folks, if they latch on to you they'll bleed you dry for the next 18 to 24 years."

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Wed 23, 2008 2:31 pm

saritajuanita wrote:Disneyland does the show twice nightly. Locals know that the secret is to wait for the second show, because then people can't stake out the good spots early.
Unless you see my brother or myself, we will camp out for both shows and try to get a better vantage point for the second show. I remember one year (I think February 06') waiting out in the 38 degree temps for 6 hours, what we do for Disney....... Any who.

As JS mentioned we saw the WDW version back in Dec of 06' and I can safely say in my opinion the DL version is better. The show in WDW seems to be more of a broadway play type, with cardboard looking sets and over dramatic acting. But the sets are pretty much specific for the scene they are portraying. They both use the fan screens considerably, though WDW uses more clips from "modern Disney films and DL uses more of the Classic films. WDW has the Pocahontas scene which DL does not.

From what I remember of the WDW version the sound system isn't as good as the DL version. But this is coming from six times seeing the DL version after seeing the WDW version so I may be mistaken.

Disneyland Version:
1. Props are better (i.e. Mark Twain, Columbia)
2. Peter Pan Scene
3. Has the snake and flower props during the Monkey Scene
4. Has the Pinnochio Marionettes
5. Uses lasers in the finally
6. No maximum seating, this just means more people can see it at one time, and it leaves rides empty to ride.

Walt Disney World Version:
1. During the Monkey scene they have Animal Marionettes in the background.
2. Has the Pocahontas scene (which DL could do since they have the canoe's from the Davey crockett ride)
3. Has the Jafar as a snake scene.
4. Takes longer for Mickey to kill the Evil Queen (seriously would the Evil Queen really let Mickey live that long ?)
5. Riverboat look like.......Well if everyone stood on the same side I swear it would fall over.

But if you really want to see for yourself what the differences are check out this persons youytube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMna0JIHg_w
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

DCFiddle67
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

WARNING - Long Comparative Review [ WDW > DL ]

Post by DCFiddle67 » Apr Tue 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Wow - I am rather shocked so many people seem to think the Disneyland version is better than WDW's. The WDW Fantasmic is at least my favorite Disney show ever. I have seen both and really, there just isn't a comparison. WDW over DL by a mile.

Size
To begin with, the Disneyland version is constrained by the fact it is around Rivers of America, an area 1/4 to 1/3 that of WDW's amphitheater. Sure, I can give DL the "quaint" feel of watching it around Rivers of America, however, it might border on a little too quaint. I mean, it's a no-brainer. It's about the same number of people watching the show as WDW's in a fraction of the area. The entire time you are trying to open up some room for your 3 foot sister. With respect to the seating/standing differences, one of my favorite comments so far has been that the amphitheater is uncomfortable...Well, if you think so, why didn't you just stand up like everyone else does in Disneyland?

I think the location of the show has a lot of influence on natural constraints of the production. In DL, they already had Rivers of America and attempted to "make it work" and it shows. The WDW version is made in an stadium and employs a stage/mountain made specifically for these purposes. Common sense.

Special Effects
The actual pyrotechnics, water screens, lights, fountains, and other effects are just reduced in size and number in the DL version. I remember looking at the DL version and expecting SO much more in terms of pyrotechnics and fountains - I was really underwhelmed. River's of America and the little shack across the way are cute and all, but it cannot host as large scale of a show as that of WDW's. The effects are just so visually impressive in WDW - I get goosebumps watching the entire thing.

Overall Plot
Okay, so Fantasmic, in both WDW and DL is supposed to be as Mickey fights the forces of "evil" that invade his dream. Well, in DL you have 4 villains (Ursula, Maleficent, Chernabog, Evil Queen) doing the work - in WDW you have MORE THAN TWICE as much (Ursula, Chernabog, Evil Queen, Maleficent, Jafar, Hades, Cruella DeVille, Judge Frollo, Scar). What is the result of that. Well, the DL villains look completely unrelated. It looks like 4 random villains have some beef with Mickey that they would like to express. In WDW, the projections on the water screens and actions taking place in the mountain give you the impression these 9 villains have banded together to try and fight Mickey. It's like Mickey versus Evil, a GROUP of 9 villains.

Scene Comparisons
In terms of specific scenes, its hard for me to find one I preferred in Disneyland - honestly. The jungle scene is so much cooler in WDW. First off, it's playing to an instrumental version of "I Just Cant Wait to Be King" and not some song from The Jungle Book. I must say, WDW really pulls it off. In addition to the three floats of monkeys that pass in front, there is the flower in the middle of the AND many extra animals DL doesn't have. There are giraffes, elephants, gazelles, etc. that look like cut-out puppets exactly like those from the IJCWTBK scene from the Lion King movie. I think that scene is more fun and visually expressive of the movie it attempts to recreate.

The DL version does have a huge snake but I think that WDW makes better use of it later on in the Jafar scene (which DL doesn't have). The Jafar snake is actually evil-looking and chases after Mickey. In DL, it's supposed to look like Ka who is always smiling and doesn't look the least bit scary (not that he was intended to be). I just think the snake idea was great for both parks; WDW just made a better use of it.

I must say, I thought the Peter Pan scene was fun and all. I don't think its as "Wow" as everyone thinks considering you have been seeing the same ship (Columbia) all day. I thought the Pocahontas scene is as visually impressive in a less obvious way - I always thought Pocahontas, the movie, had a beautiful message and one of the best soundtracks to any movie. In Fantasmic, they go back in forth between the settlers in Virginia, and the American Indians. I get goosebumps when they first switch to the Native Americans in the canoes and they play "Steady as the Beating Drum" - the canoes lit with torches on either end are so simple, yet breathtaking, really. Maybe it's because I love Pocahontas so much. I will say, the Peter Pan scene might be the only thing that remotely excited me about the DL version. I do admire the fact WDW tried to use a less-obvious movie.

Overall, I was not a fan of the elephant scene or that of Pinocchio in DL. The scenes looked like half-scenes. They could have used the money and time to bolster some of the other scenes - they needed it.

And I missed from Disneyland the projected scene with all the bubbles! I loved that WDW plays a little snippet of every movie's main song and shows bubbles with the characters. I thought it was a beautiful way to really show off all the Disney movies.

Ending
I thought the ending was so disappointing in Fantasmic. Oh my - where to begin. I guess DL did the best it could with Rivers of America but c'mon people, the Dragon is not the least bit convincing. The head looks good but the machinery for the body is not even hidden. They apparently just threw some black fabric on it and that was all. Lets just put it this way: until watching the DL version, I had no idea how the Dragon worked. The WDW dragon is much larger and 100 times more convincing. The performance and delivery of the dragon is so much better in an amphitheater designed for the show.

In DL, about 3 seconds after the Dragon shows up Mickey just kills it. Like, if you blink your eye, or turn around to get a drink for 2 milliseconds you will have missed Mickey conquering evil - what an anticlimactic ending! Wow, in WDW, Mickey's killing of the Dragon is so much cooler. He uses fountains of water to kill the thing and it's a great scene.

Ok, and everyone seems to think the Mark Twain is better for showing off the characters and I strongly think otherwise (and I think the Mark Twain itself agrees). There is something classic and beautiful about watching Steamboat Willie come in WDW - they made it just for Fantasmic. DL is obviously just using a boat they have during the day, the Mark Twain, which is larger than Steamboat Willie and yet, has no relevance to the show, especially when compared to the the ship that made Mickey Mouse (the star character of the show) famous. I was cracking up when they had the Black and White Mickey driving the Mark Twain around. If DL's boat is so much bigger and badder, why is it pretending to be Steamboat Willie...?

Overall, everyone will have different opinions on the matter. I have seen both extremely recently and there just isn't a comparison. DL's Fantasmic is a smaller-scale show made to complement the Fireworks show right after. The designers used Rivers of America and "made it work" the best they could. I think they did a wonderful job. However, it is nowhere near the beautiful masterpiece that is WDW's Fantasmic - they shelled out more space, money, and creativity. The result is a show that is a nighttime spectacular and full-fledged fireworks show in and of itself, the perfect ending for a wonderful day at Disney.

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » Apr Wed 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Wow DCFiddle67,
What a detailed description! Thanks for taking the time to point out the differences.

Fantasmic at the Studios in WDW is our family's absolute favorite thing to do in the entire World.

I have always wanted to see the one at DL (we've always wanted to head out to the west coast to visit DL).

I know if we ever make it, we won't be disappointed with their version of Fantasmic. Thanks to you, we'll know what to expect, and try not to compare the two.
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Wed 16, 2008 5:12 pm

DCFiddle67,
you do have to take into consideration that DL's Fantasmic debuted in 1992 just before the Disney animation renaissance (and was prbably in planning for many years before) which is why the Jungle Book was used instead of the Lion King and Jafar. Most of the movies portrayed in the bubbles at MGM (DHS :roll: ) are also mostly the early classics and the '90s classics. The only new villains added to the DHS show were also from the '90s (except Cruella). DL's version worked with all they had, which was mostly Walt's originals.

I'm not going to choose a side, but it's very clear that WDW's version is more synergy-driven. I.E. Big store on Sunset Blvd. selling Fantasmic based merchandise

SHORT RANT ON COMPANY IN GENERAL:
(In my own personal opinion I think it was also to remind people aout the good movies Disney used to make and make them forget about the movies they are producing now... Of course, now they've got PIXAR to help them do that. Disney only has limited "good-quality" things now to keep people coming back. That's why they milk everything)

RREng77

Post by RREng77 » Apr Wed 16, 2008 9:04 pm

WDW version is better, IMHO. I will admit, though, that I thought the DL version was nearly a different show, and worth seeing at least once.
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Mon 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is on this topic...

I know I'm probably a bit biased, but I have seen both versions of the show and IMHO, DL tops it. Perhaps because it is one of the few "popular" attractions left with such a strong nod to the early classics. Yes, the Columbia is used (and quite well I might add) and so is the Mark Twain (it's not Steamboat Willie, but is iconic to the park) but I don't by any means feel like it's "downsized". In fact, I think it's much more natural of a fit since the stage for the show is actually part of the park itself. (we all stand around the castle for the fireworks, don't we?) It's much more immersive when you're standing in front of the RoA watching the show rather than sitting in in a "theatre". The amphitheatre makes it feel forced and not as smooth flowing as DL.