Nicholas Cage wants "National Treasure" ride

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Nicholas Cage wants "National Treasure" ride

Post by acp » Dec Wed 19, 2007 5:24 pm

I've put this here even though the article says "Disneyland" since the media usually don't know which resort they're referring to and put "Disneyland" or "Disneyworld" for them all. This could easily apply to any resort..
Cage begs Disney for 'National Treasure' theme park ride

Washington, Dec 18 : 'City Of Angels' star Nicolas Cage wants Disneyland to build a new ride based on the actor's movie franchise National Treasure.

The 43-year-old star is a huge fan of theme parks and has a desire for his own rollercoaster.

Disney produced 'National Treasure' and new sequel 'Book of Secrets' and Cage is hopeful that they will grant him his wish.

"My biggest thrill would be if Disney was so happy with the movie that they gave it a ride," Contactmusic quoted Cage, as saying.

"Because I love amusement parks and I love Disneyland and I would love to see a National Treasure ride. That would be a dream come true for me."

Disney movie Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a ride at the Disney World resort.
Source

What're people's thoughts on this? I've not seen the National Treasure films, so I'm not familliar with the plot. Should Disney go with more film-inspired attractions, or stick with more original themes?

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Dec Wed 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I'm holding off on this one till I see National Treasure 2, but in general I'd say no. These films are a lot like Indiana Jones and there's already a ride using this extremely popular trilogy. Besides, I'm not a huge coaster fan (seasickness and all) so if anything I'd rather see a dark ride of sorts.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Dec Wed 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Sounds like a cool concept. Go Imagineers go!

Of course I'm sure it will depend on how successful National Treasure 2 is.

Of course it would break the chain of Pixar-ization of the parks :)

move over Wall-E I need SPECTACLES!!!!

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Dec Wed 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Why is the Indiana Jones ride coming to mind?

Countdown to Extinction...

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Dec Thu 20, 2007 4:59 am

I think it's cool that he's a big enough fan of the parks to want a ride there. Something about that is really charming to me. That said, I didn't like the first movie very much and the second one just looks ridiculous (in the bad way) so I'm not sure what they'd do with a ride here. I don't remember if the first movie was particularly successful or not, and then second doesn't seem to be a huge record breaker. It's still a nice dream for him to have, though. :)

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Dec Thu 20, 2007 11:00 am

csquare77 wrote:Why is the Indiana Jones ride coming to mind?

Countdown to Extinction...
They wouldn't get rid of Indy. It's still consistently one of the longest lines in the park and fits perfectly into the theme in Adventureland. Now "Great Moments with Mr. Cage" on the other hand... :lol:

I have not seen the second movie, but I didn't like the first one at all. While I don't think it made a good movie, there's a possibility of making an Indy-esque ride as CS suggests. There are some definite opportunities there, and if they could make a ride be somewhat historically educational and highly entertaining at the same time, I'm all for it.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Dec Fri 21, 2007 11:10 am

I am going tonight to see Book of Secrets, I can't wait! I think a ride would be cool, depending on how well the imagineers scale it out and think it through. National Treasure was entertaining and that is what I go to the movies for, well, besides the popcorn..ha ha ha to be entertained!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

blinkereye123
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by blinkereye123 » Jan Tue 01, 2008 2:06 am

Seasons Greetings all! The interesting thing about National Treasure was that when it was released in 2004 it was actually a surprise hit, which almost never happens with a J. Bruckheimer production. I myself have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the first film, (I haven't seen Book of Secrets yet), and can see why Nic Cage would think be a good idea. However I'm still enough of a purist to believe that the whole point of the Disney parks, (and Disney in general for that matter), is to create great ORIGINAL expeiences to inspire others and not just repeat themselves. Here's hoping they do in 2008. Later, peace.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Jan Wed 02, 2008 9:10 am

I saw Book of Secrets, it was good, but not as good as the 1st one. This one seemed rushed and didn't go as much into the historical stuff and places like the 1st one. I really enjoyed the interaction between Nic Cages (Ben Gates) and Justin Bartha's (Riley Poole) characters, that is worth watching the movie itself.

Happy 2008!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

faxprincess
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by faxprincess » Jan Thu 03, 2008 3:59 pm

I think this would be great! I'm a huge fan of the movies (just go and fun with them!) and afterall, isn't this what Walt did in the first place? Get people excited for the movies and in turn for attractions? Sleeping Beauty Castle was named in anticipation for the movie - We've got almost all of the Fantasyland attractions that tie into movies. So no big deal.
I hope they do it! Now, where to put it??

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Fri 04, 2008 10:27 pm

I liked the first movie, haven't seen the second one yet. I like the idea though. I think it's great that Cage is a fan of the Disney theme parks! Could this be a possible replacement for Indiana Jones?!

HSolo29
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HSolo29 » Jan Mon 07, 2008 8:47 pm

I really like the National Treasure films and personally, I think something like this would be a neat addition to the parks. Yes, it does remind me of a modern day Indiana Jones, but that's what makes it fun. I would definitely get excited over a ride themed after the films. Although, maybe not another roller coaster, but perhaps a dark ride? There could be so many possibilities here.
"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation."

mageloff
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by mageloff » Jan Tue 08, 2008 12:27 pm

I think a themed roller coaster would be a lot of fun. Beside Gates and Indie are very different characters. Yes the both hunt for treasure, but from differing points in time and with very different perosnalities and styles...

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jan Tue 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Maybe Liberty Square can have a new E-Ticket. :D Although I'm imagining something more like Posidon's Fury at IoE. "A secret passage has been found in the basement of the Hall of Presidesnts. Join the exploration of these lost chambers with Nicolas Cage (I forgot the character's name) as you search for National Treaure!" Although how it will fit in Liberty Square I'm not certain.

(I always liked when attractions interact with each other. The '94 WDW Tomorrowland and Thunder Mesa at DLRP are probably the best lands in the Disney universe because the entire land tells a story instead of the individual rides. That's why I'm describing it as "in the basement" of the Hall of Presidents. Although, I don't know much about colonial architecture. Did they have basements?)

mageloff

Post by mageloff » Jan Wed 09, 2008 9:03 am

Cheshire Cat - that is a cool idea! Although I do not know about early colonial architecture, I know that moderm colonial does... and thinking back the early architecture probably did - they had wine cellars.
Nick

Jambo Wilson! Simba One is entering the reserve at Little Ituri Forest.