In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

1985 Monorail Fire!

Post by AKLRULZ » Aug Sat 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Did y'all ever hear about this?! :shock:

... plus a few stories that Disney World management would just as soon forget. Like that time back in June of 1985 when Monorail Silver caught fire. And with the train stopped dead a half mile south of the Ticket & Transportation Center, it was only the resourcefulness of two WDW visitors (Who first pulled open the doors of the car they were trapped in. Then -- after climbing up on the roof of their monorail -- they pulled all of the other passengers in their compartment up onto the top of the train. Everyone then walked along the top of the monorail and -- after sliding down the windshield to the two-foot-wide beam -- walked the rest of the way to the TTC) that saved those 240 passengers after the last two cars of Monorail Silver were entirely engulfed in flames.

LINK
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Sun 05, 2007 2:18 am

Holy crap. How terrifying. Good thinking for the two passengers.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Aug Sun 05, 2007 5:54 am

Got to wonder if the train stopping was good or bad. :?
What would they have done if the train had continued on? Climb on the roof of a moving burning train? Then what? Not a good idea to slide down the front! :shock: Stand around until you get knocked off at the TTC what's the headroom like there?
I doubt the fire started within the carriage more likely on a motor or air conditioner.
I hope they have better fire detecting and fighting equipment installed now. Something similar to that fitted to aircraft engines would do the trick easy to install on every carriage and relatively inexpensive. :|
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Sun 05, 2007 10:33 am

WOW!! I've never heard of this before. I bet there's a web site.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Aug Sun 05, 2007 11:10 am

Holy cow!

I had a book on Disneyland "horror stories" a few years ago; "Behind the Mouse" it was called, or something like that. Hadn't heard this WDW story though!
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Aug Sun 05, 2007 12:50 pm

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Holy crap. How terrifying. Good thinking for the two passengers.
I vaguely remember that, because it was during my freshman year at college. Don't you know that a few un-Disney words were used during that evacuation!! :lol: Hopefully they were rewarded somehow, and especially those who led their fellow passengers to safety.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Mon 06, 2007 10:56 am

I don't recall this at all either, but it's a good story about people taking charge and being able to save others and find a way out. Thanks for the post and link!

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Aug Mon 06, 2007 3:47 pm

Wow for sure.

although this would be a great movie...imagine the monorail looping the 7 seas lagoon on fire with no brakes! Speed 3 starring Keanu Reaves and Sandra Bullock/James. i'll add this to the rides you would like to see as a movie.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

Hypermommy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Hypermommy » Aug Mon 06, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't remember if it was this week or a few weeks ago, but the Inside the Magic podcast did an interview with a cast member. I was listening to it last night. Hard to hear some of it becuase the cast member was so softspoken, but I remember they were talking something about how they have fire extinguishers on the cars now and if there's a fire there are procedures. I remember thinking "how would a guest know those procedures" but I guess that's when the pilot gets on and starts talking to you about what to do. Anyway... I'm going to re-listen to it becuase I would like to hear what the guy was saying. Y'all might want to check it out too.... http://www.distantcreations.com/insidethemagic.
[color=purple][size=117][b]Hypermommy[/b][/size][/color]

jozel27
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by jozel27 » Aug Wed 08, 2007 9:18 am

Well it could have been alot worse. Thank god those passengers escaped unharmed. Did they ever say what had caused the fire?

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Thu 16, 2007 10:59 pm

Holy cow. That's scary. :shock:
that saved those 240 passengers after the last two cars of Monorail Silver were entirely engulfed in flames.
Doesn't that seem like a lot of people mooshed into two cars? I guess it must have been a busy time of day. Thank goodness everyone got out. I hope the quick thinking people that helped everyone escape were rewarded.

ralberts
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by ralberts » Aug Fri 17, 2007 6:57 am

I always wondered what would happen on on the beam. There are some places that are just too high to jump, and what about people that are in wheel chairs or strollers. Plus, I do not have the best balance so walking the beam would not be on my list of experiences that I would like to have at WDW.
Randall

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Sun 19, 2007 4:11 am

This is kind of interesting. I was looking at wikipedia for something else and turned this up.
On June 26, 1985, a fire engulfed the rear car of the six-car Mark IV Silver monorail train in transit from the Epcot station to the Transportation and Ticket Center.[9] The train was carrying 240 passengers, 40 of whom were in the burning car.[10] This fire predated onboard fire detection systems, emergency exits, and evacuation planning. Passengers in the car kicked out side windows and climbed around the side of the train to reach the roof, where they were subsequently rescued by the Reedy Creek Fire Department.[9] Seven passengers were hospitalized for smoke inhalation or other minor injuries.[11] The fire department later determined that the fire started when a flat tire was dragged across the concrete beam, heated due to friction, and ignited.[12]
Now, of course wiki's not always accurate, but they do cite sources (you can link to them in the actual article). 40 people in the car certainly sounds more reasonable than 240, anyway. ;) Link to the wiki page. It talks about the incident (and others) close to the bottom.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Aug Sun 19, 2007 6:46 am

Yeah I guess the 240 was referring to the total number of passengers on the monorail trail. Crazy still! :shock:
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

tmptnr

Post by tmptnr » Sep Wed 19, 2007 11:05 pm

wow never heard about this. Those passengers have a real story to tell.