Litter Picker Upper

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

NapoleonD
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Litter Picker Upper

Post by NapoleonD » Jul Wed 25, 2007 1:37 pm

I posed this question on another website, and wanted to know what the good members of subsonic radio thought:

When you are in the Parks, do you pick up litter when you see it or do you leave it for a Cast Member? What about returning wayward merchandise to its proper place in the shops? In other words, do you take keeping the Parks clean as a personal responsibilty, or is it a job for someone else to do?
Vote for Pedro to put internet live cams in Disneyland Park

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Wed 25, 2007 1:45 pm

I think the only time i pick up trash and throw it away is if someone has left their trash on a table I want to eat at... otherwise, yeah, I'm on vacation. Someone gets paid to clean up.

I also don't leave litter. But no, I don't normally pick up after others.
~Steve

trekty
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by trekty » Jul Wed 25, 2007 1:59 pm

Don't pick up others trash, but I have caught myself "straightening" the shelves at the shops :oops: (however I tend to do that at every store) If something is WAY messy/out of place I almost have to take care of it.
Nancie
Any day above ground is a good one

tseymour
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by tseymour » Jul Wed 25, 2007 3:00 pm

I don't pick up other peoples trash, but I always throw out my own. The cast members are very quick to pick up trash though. You don't see much lying around. It seems that the trash is picked up by the cast member almost immediately.
There's a snake in my boot!

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jul Wed 25, 2007 3:02 pm

I really don't see much trash around to pick up and if so, I usually let the cast members take care of it. I'm extra careful to make sure mine ends up in the proper bin though!

How about the former cleaner-uppers. Lion? Did you wish people would pick up after each other?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Jul Wed 25, 2007 3:52 pm

I always make sure to throw my own litter away but don't pick up after others. I rarely see trash and when I have seen it there is usually a cast memeber right there to clean it up.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Wed 25, 2007 5:06 pm

I throw my stuff away, and will pick up other trash if it seems to be in a place where some one might fall. No I don't fix the shelves, that's a CM's job security.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Jul Wed 25, 2007 5:14 pm

depends on the trash

I'll grab cups and big pieces that aren't gross. Especially if their out in the open. But most stuff is small or disgusting.

I have one friend that will pick up every piece of trash she sees in a queue to the extent it holds up the line a little

HSolo29
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HSolo29 » Jul Wed 25, 2007 5:48 pm

I don't know, maybe this is a personal thing, but I find touching other's trash to be disgusting. I just leave it be and let a CM pick it up when they make their rounds.

I do, however, make sure to clean up my own mess and throw away my own trash when we're through eating or whatever.
"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation."

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Wed 25, 2007 7:28 pm

I am the same way. I really don't like touching other people's trash but I definitely make sure that mine is thrown away. Every so often I will straighten shelves and I do always make sure that we (especially my children) put away things that we have been looking at. :D

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Wed 25, 2007 10:42 pm

I typically won't throw out someone else's garbage unless as spaulo said, I want to sit wherever they left it. But I also don't recall seeing much garbage lying around anywhere in the parks (even in the counter service restaurants), so I guess the opportunity doesn't come up very often.

I don't straighten shelves either, but I will pick merchandise up off the ground and put it on a shelf if I come across it. Due to lots of 'little shoppers', I guess, stuffed animals and the like seem to take headers into the floor more often in Disney stores. So I'll reunite lost toys with their flocks, but I won't fold shirts as I pass by. :D

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Jul Thu 26, 2007 8:00 am

Don't pick up others trash, but I have caught myself "straightening" the shelves at the shops Embarassed (however I tend to do that at every store)
:lol: I was the same way. Having worked for The Disney Store, my deepy rooted training (haha) would kick in and I'd start to Disney-fold the t-shirts or arrange the shelves. I couldn't help myself!
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Thu 26, 2007 11:05 am

I don't pick anything up off the streets, but in queue lines there have been a few instances where cups were just sitting on ledges or over the chain-link line posts. I usually throw out the cups if there is a trashcan nearby. Come to think of it, this occurs mostly in the splash Mountain queue, I guess there's just a lot of places to stuff cups.

And of course from having a few jobs where straight shelves were a priority, I subconsciously start to fix any problem shelves in the stores until my family stops me and I realize what I'm doing. haha

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Jul Thu 26, 2007 1:44 pm

I won't go out of my way to pick up litter, but like others have said we'll clean off a table if someone else has left their trash. I can't recall a time I've ever straightend a shelf.

It comes down to personal responsibility to me in keeping Disney neat and pretty.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

nagelsn1978

Post by nagelsn1978 » Jul Fri 27, 2007 10:23 am

I wont pick up the litter, thats kinda gross. but like others, if there is trash where I wanna sit, it will get picked up. And like others I have caught myself straightening. My wife looked at me and :shock: I think she was thinking that I dont straighten up at home. hehe.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself you will succumb in every battle." -Sun Tzu