Big Thunder Vs Big Thunder?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Which Big Thunder Mountain Railroad do you like better?

Disneyland
53%
Walt Disney World
47%

Total votes: 15

nancynohorse
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by nancynohorse » Jun Mon 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Any of the outside rides are better at night! I have only rode DL's during the day, though. :mickey: :mickey:
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jun Mon 18, 2007 11:59 pm

DLR, definitely. But because the hills are so short the best ride is in the front. I've found the back is anticlimactic as by the time you go over each lift the front of the train is already at the bottom of the drop. Riding in the front means the weight of the train is behind you and "shoves" you up the next rise and around the turns. Way fun.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

indysoarin19
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by indysoarin19 » Jun Tue 19, 2007 2:01 am

Disneyland has the better one by far. The queue is much, much better and the coaster itself has a lot of nice turns and some of the best headchoppers on any coaster I've ridden. (Headchoppers is coaster-speak for when the train dives under something to the point where you feel like you're going to get your head chopped off.)
Fixing cars as an Autopian mechanic!

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jun Tue 19, 2007 12:05 pm

horizons1 wrote:DLR, definitely. But because the hills are so short the best ride is in the front. I've found the back is anticlimactic as by the time you go over each lift the front of the train is already at the bottom of the drop. Riding in the front means the weight of the train is behind you and "shoves" you up the next rise and around the turns. Way fun.
Wow. I can't disagree more.

Because the hills are so short, the best rides is in the back... as the train clickclickclicks up the hills, the front of the train has to clickclickclick down a little, because if gravity took over when the front of the train reaches the peak of the hill, the train would roll backwards! So the best ride is in the back, where you get whipped over hills and around corners, rather than the front, where you find yourself inching over hill peaks.
~Steve

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jun Tue 19, 2007 12:27 pm

spaulo wrote:
horizons1 wrote:DLR, definitely. But because the hills are so short the best ride is in the front. I've found the back is anticlimactic as by the time you go over each lift the front of the train is already at the bottom of the drop. Riding in the front means the weight of the train is behind you and "shoves" you up the next rise and around the turns. Way fun.

Because the hills are so short, the best rides is in the back... as the train clickclickclicks up the hills, the front of the train has to clickclickclick down a little, because if gravity took over when the front of the train reaches the peak of the hill, the train would roll backwards! So the best ride is in the back, where you get whipped over hills and around corners, rather than the front, where you find yourself inching over hill peaks.
Agreed. Try and compare the next time you go. First sit in the front, and watch for the dip right after the overhead waterfall. You feel as if you're crawling down the track. The next time sit in the back-it will surely feel a lot of different.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

ldzny
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by ldzny » Jun Tue 19, 2007 12:37 pm

spaulo wrote:

I totally agree! The back is better. From a forces point of view, the back is pulled over the top of the rise as the greater mass of the train is already accelerating down the hill. In the front you are part way down the hill before it really starts to get going.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You hurt your what?" ~ Tow Mater
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MansionButler
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by MansionButler » Jul Tue 10, 2007 11:14 am

Wow, I thought liking the WDW one more was universal. I like how it's more like a wild trip around a location, instead of a little coaste shoved into scenery.

They're both great, and DL is definitely a little more intense (not that either is intense). And the queue is better as well, but I just find WDW's to be much more immersive.

I don't know about track length. Both have three lifts, but WDW's covers more area. Hence fewer tight turns.

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Fri 20, 2007 6:32 pm

I did not vote because I have not been to DL but it has been interesting reading the differences between the two. I guess I never thought about them not being the same. I love BTM at WDW. Now I need to get out to DL and try the one out there and compare!