Tomorrowland, er um Pixarland

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Sat 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote:I don't think Exxon lent any particular expertise to the attraction. I doubt they actually wrote the script, they probably just had a hand in directing it...and of course they had veto power, so there were probably rules about what could be said. We already knew oil companies were evil in 1982. It should have been fresh in our minds after the oil crisis of the 70s.
I'm curious about that, actually. I may be giving Exxon 'scientists' too much credit for chipping in ideas to the original attraction. Honestly I don't remember the original that well (perhaps I should try to request it on here again ... and stay awake through it). I definitely agree they would have had veto power over what could and could not be said, though, which makes sense to me if they were footing the bill. For the record, though, I didn't mean so much 'oil companies are evil' as I did that it would seem more obviously short-sighted/one-sided to have Exxon do it now that energy and energy production with fossil fuels are more of a household topic. However, you're right to point out the oil crisis, which I hadn't considered (and I defer to your knowledge on that one. I was too young to have an opinion on much of anything in 82.)
Captain Schnemo wrote:Anyway, I don't think you need an energy company involved in the process at all. All you need are some decent researchers willing to investigate the state of the art. If the show is dynamic enough, it shouldn't be too hard to find some company looking to build up a green reputation. You could maaaaybe get BP to own up to some truths, but getting them involved would probably just complicate the process.
I don't think they need it anymore, no, particularly since I think it'd be hard to find a sponsor to do it (as you say, maybe BP, but I'd be surprised). Frankly, I'd be surprised if Disney wanted to do anything to cast fossil fuel-type companies in a bad light, or really get involved in the politics of the global warming/climate change thing at all. It's kind of a tricky pavilion now, in that respect, I think.
Captain Schnemo wrote:Pirates have been the topic of children's adventure stories for years, but they left out the details of how they all had syphilis and such.
More than that; they're not even as pirate-y as they were when I was a kid. No more pirates chasing ladies. No more "have you set your eyes on a bewitching maiden" he'd be willing to "share". And these are freakin' pirates they made clean up their acts. Sacking the town is a-okay but down with sexual harassment on the Spanish Main! It's always baffled me why "you ain't seen nothin' till you're down on a muffin" (that'd be out of Walk this Way, part that they do play on the ride, that is) and shooting lil' Buford got under the radar but pirates needed to be sanitized.
Cheshire Cat wrote:yodiwan1 has brought up a good point... if someone is tall enough to ride RnR, then they are probably old enough to hear those lyrics. Granted, there are probably some extreme cases of advanced growth and over-protective parents, but hey.
I dunno about that. The height restriction on RnR is 48 inches. An 'average height/weight chart' puts that around ... 6 to 8 years for a boy (as the outer percentiles). I'm pretty sure when I was 6 to 8 years (maybe a little older as I'm a girl :lol: ) my parents wouldn't have been letting me listen to Aerosmith, and they weren't overprotective by any means. It doesn't really seem to fit with the type of entertainment Disney would normally present for that age group either (though obviously RnR isn't targeted at kids - that's just the discussion at hand). On the other hand, I suppose to be fair, it's hard to understand what Steven Tyler is ever saying. *shrug*

I agree, though, in the grand scheme of things they probably picked a group with enough generic mass appeal to offset the unsavory factor they bring with them. It's a lot better than Celine Dion's Wailocoaster.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Nov Sat 03, 2007 8:46 pm

I agree, though, in the grand scheme of things they probably picked a group with enough generic mass appeal to offset the unsavory factor they bring with them. It's a lot better than Celine Dion's Wailocoaster.
oh so true!!!! but that could be a ride in the canada pavillion!!!! lol
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Sat 03, 2007 9:09 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:oh so true!!!! but that could be a ride in the canada pavillion!!!! lol
Bah! She lives in Las Vegas now and as far as I'm concerned, they can keep her. :lol:

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Nov Sat 03, 2007 9:10 pm

my in-laws are going there tomorrow and when che was brought up to them they stated they wouldnt go even if they were comped!!!! lol
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Nov Sun 04, 2007 6:58 pm

DisBeamer wrote:...I didn't mean so much 'oil companies are evil' as I did that it would seem more obviously short-sighted/one-sided to have Exxon do it now that energy and energy production with fossil fuels are more of a household topic.
Not to get too political here, but Jimmy Carter was thinking about all this stuff during his administration and Ronald Reagan took great care to roll back all his advances. The most symbolic representation of this is that Carter had solar panels installed on the White House, which Reagan immediately removed when he took office.
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Disney wanted to do anything to cast fossil fuel-type companies in a bad light, or really get involved in the politics of the global warming/climate change thing at all.
It's pretty easy to sidestep the politics of conserving petroleum. We have a limited supply, and ultimately, no matter what you think of it now, we're going to have to find other sources of energy. You wouldn't have to come down too hard on oil to explain the benefits of these other sources.

I'd love for them to address all the obvious and indisputable lies the oil and car companies have been spouting for years (and disturbingly convinced people to believe), but I know that's not realistic.

As for the pirates thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with being politically incorrect, but context matters. I love that those old Davy Crockett episodes are full of drinking, smoking, gambling, womanizing, etc., because it's kind of hard to ignore that material completely when making that kind of show. Ultimately, however, the show promotes morality (in a humanistic, not religious, sense), racial tolerance, fair play, family, and the message that a decent man with a strong sense of what's right can make the world a better place.

I think it's great that Captain Nemo isn't a villain in the standard fairy tale sense. He's a complicated man who's doesn't do evil things for evil's sake, he's just a wounded man with crushed ideals who has decided he wants to improve the world by any means necessary. The movie doesn't justify his actions, but it puts them into a context so you can at least understand them and realize that not everything is black and white.

There's no such context in the Aerosmith songs, and I don't think anyone will make the claim that the sexism and violence towards women (and everyone else, really) in Pirates is in the same league as referring to a high school girl targeted for sex as a "real young bleeder".

Whether or not the attraction is age-appropriate for specific guests, shouldn't even be an issue. There shouldn't be a XXX section of Disney theme parks, just as there shouldn't be any kiddie-specific areas. That was Walt's whole reason for creating Disneyland.
On the surface there is hunger and fear. Men still exercise unjust laws. They fight, tear one another to pieces. A mere few feet beneath the waves their reign ceases, their evil drowns. Here on the ocean floor is the only independence.