Pet peeves

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Oct Mon 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Len90 wrote:
Peerless83 wrote:oh and in response to the people talking about breast feeding in public and changing diapers on restaurant tables...next time you see someone doing this...politely walk over to them...look them square in the eye..and in as calm of a voice as possible.....SLAP THEM ACROSS THE FACE!
Very funny, but I don't think that would have a happy ending for me. It might end with me getting my feet glued to the floor and being forced to sing on IASW. Unfortunately, this is something that annoys me but when you think about it, there is really nothing that Disney can do.
Agreed. I think it's nasty to see people changing diapers on restaurant tables! I really don't want to see that while I'm eating.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Nz58cl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by Nz58cl » Nov Sat 14, 2009 7:30 am

My Disney pet peeves are when the CM don't enforce the rules be it people smoking, children wearing wheels in their shoes or people sitting in the middle when there is crowd of people behind them.
Most people follow the rules and are polite but just a few or even one can make a ride/attraction less then enjoyable.

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by keneka » Nov Sat 14, 2009 7:33 am

people who talk none stop through a show! People who block the entrance to fast pass while they wait out the time til their fast pass starts :wink:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sat 14, 2009 10:57 am

The "COMBAT" stroller brigade!! Those people who seem to aim for with their strollers and the electric wheel chairs. I don't begrudge people who need to us the chairs, there but for the grace of GOD go I. Just come on don't run us over with them!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sat 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Mind you, Jacca5660, the opposite perspective sucks too.

My pet peeve is the people that walk around totally oblivious to the world around them. Not only do they bump into people walking by (I've had this happen sooo many times), but khock over strollers and people in the electric scooter. I've seen that happen alot, particulary as I have a family member that must use one of those electric scooters. And if the people who walk around in a fog or a daze aren't bad enough, there are the people who intentionally run in front of and cut off the strollers or scooters. They're not children only, it's adults; and on top of that, if they're that agile they can be so rude, then they should be that agile to avoid an accident. The scooters are not very agile. Maybe after an entire of day of getting bumped, bruised, knocked over, and generally being abused by the other park guests, the scooter/stroller people may get in a bad mood and stop trying to avoid the accidents, particularly if the more mobile people could help to avoid it (I would hope a person in stroller would not take this attitude if they have a child in the stroller - child safety should always be paramount!). My family member hates going to the parks because she knows being in that scooter means she will be bruised and injured by other park guests by the end of the day. It appears many park guests do not sympathize but rather resent people confined to wheelchairs or electric scooters, which might explain the rude behaviour. I think the root problem for this is that over the last few years too many able bodied people have turned to using electric scooters out of pure laziness, and this has de-sensitized people to have any sympathy to those who truely must rely on these devices as methods to get around the park.

As for strolllers, I know two families that decided they would not take their kids in a stroller after hearing horror stories of how other park guests were rude and abusive to people with strollers, and waited until their children were old enough to walk the parks on their own before taking their kids to a WDW theme-park for the first time. I don't think it's a bad idea, because most people who do go with strollers always seem to complain afterwards about the hassle of having to drag the stroller throughout the park.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sat 14, 2009 12:35 pm

mindflipper wrote:Mind you, Jacca5660, the opposite perspective sucks too.

My pet peeve is the people that walk around totally oblivious to the world around them. Not only do they bump into people walking by (I've had this happen sooo many times), but khock over strollers and people in the electric scooter. I've seen that happen alot, particulary as I have a family member that must use one of those electric scooters. And if the people who walk around in a fog or a daze aren't bad enough, there are the people who intentionally run in front of and cut off the strollers or scooters. They're not children only, it's adults; and on top of that, if they're that agile they can be so rude, then they should be that agile to avoid an accident. The scooters are not very agile. Maybe after an entire of day of getting bumped, bruised, knocked over, and generally being abused by the other park guests, the scooter/stroller people may get in a bad mood and stop trying to avoid the accidents, particularly if the more mobile people could help to avoid it (I would hope a person in stroller would not take this attitude if they have a child in the stroller - child safety should always be paramount!). My family member hates going to the parks because she knows being in that scooter means she will be bruised and injured by other park guests by the end of the day. It appears many park guests do not sympathize but rather resent people confined to wheelchairs or electric scooters, which might explain the rude behaviour. I think the root problem for this is that over the last few years too many able bodied people have turned to using electric scooters out of pure laziness, and this has de-sensitized people to have any sympathy to those who truely must rely on these devices as methods to get around the park.

As for strolllers, I know two families that decided they would not take their kids in a stroller after hearing horror stories of how other park guests were rude and abusive to people with strollers, and waited until their children were old enough to walk the parks on their own before taking their kids to a WDW theme-park for the first time. I don't think it's a bad idea, because most people who do go with strollers always seem to complain afterwards about the hassle of having to drag the stroller throughout the park.
I've never though of it that way. But I promise I will be very aware of that next time I'm in the parks! :oops:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

joeyflds

Post by joeyflds » Dec Tue 08, 2009 11:43 am

my biggest pet peve is when people are walking in front of you and just stop...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 08, 2009 1:35 pm

mindflipper wrote:Mind you, Jacca5660, the opposite perspective sucks too.

I agree wholeheartedly mindflipper! My DH, while he can walk, has a bad leg that tends to go out on him if he is on it for extended periods of time (he uses a cane on bad days). This is why when we go to the parks we usually have a wheelchair (if we opt out of the chair, he uses the cane and we don't do as much stuff in the parks). He rented an ECV once and it was such a hassle we decided not to do that again. So I am left to push him in the chair (believe me, that's not a complaint...). People are sometimes so oblivious...I cannot stop the chair on a dime (especially downhill) and people will just cut in front with no apology, and sometimes I am the one who gets the dirty look. It's highly frustrating.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Amen, MmeLeota! It's truely "if you could walk a mile in my shoes" - if they could realize how bad it is for people in wheelchairs (and those who have to push it) by being one (or pushing one), then they shape up in their bad behaviour! :roll: :wink:
joeyflds wrote:my biggest pet peve is when people are walking in front of you and just stop...
Even if you're not in a wheelchair - this is annoying! Like MmeLeota just commented people can be so oblivious! :evil:

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Dec Tue 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I think my biggest pet peeve is people looking at me and seeing a "healthy" yet overweight 31 year old and thinking I am only using the ECV to cheat and get on rides faster. Without that ECV I couldn't do much in the parks at all.

I think next time I go I'm going to get a t-shirt that says, "I only drive this ECV so you'll have to wait longer for everything! Ha!"

Also really dislike the dirty looks I get when I am trying to get on the bus. It's nerve wracking and only makes me take longer to park because I'm so nervous!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 08, 2009 2:40 pm

mindflipper wrote:Amen, MmeLeota! It's truely "if you could walk a mile in my shoes" - if they could realize how bad it is for people in wheelchairs (and those who have to push it) by being one (or pushing one), then they shape up in their bad behaviour! :roll: :wink:
joeyflds wrote:my biggest pet peve is when people are walking in front of you and just stop...
Even if you're not in a wheelchair - this is annoying! Like MmeLeota just commented people can be so oblivious! :evil:
I admit, I am one of those people who walk crooked and cut people off (when I am walking on my own, that is)...but if I realize I have done that to someone, I always offer an apology. Most of the time I get a smile and 'that's ok'. It's the ones who do it, look at you and give you the dirty look that annoy me.

Hockeygirl, I understand those looks...they're the same ones we get too. I too am 31 and my DH is 36 and he appears healthy as well (especially since he can walk...he just has to be careful how much he is on his leg). Long ago, I used to be the one rolling my eyes everytime a wheelchair had to be loaded on the bus or was "in the way". But since having to look at things from the other perspective, my feelings have completey changed on the subject and I can't believe I ever felt the way I did before.

Btw, I love the t-shirt idea!!!!

withspirit

Post by withspirit » Dec Tue 08, 2009 2:44 pm

I think next time I go I'm going to get a t-shirt that says, "I only drive this ECV so you'll have to wait longer for everything! Ha!"
Maybe another T-shirt could say "Sprint Cup NASCAR ECV Champion". Someone might even buy you a beer!
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Dec Tue 08, 2009 3:18 pm

withspirit wrote:
Maybe another T-shirt could say "Sprint Cup NASCAR ECV Champion". Someone might even buy you a beer!
OMG! I LOVE this idea. I can come up with a cute graphic for that too.

Maybe I'll come up with some cute T-shirt ideas for ECV users for my next trip... :D

I also really enjoy the "here comes fatty, fat, fat, fat on the ECV" comments. Those are just too precious! I'm thinking I'm going to put a "Wide Load" sign on the back of my scooter next time too just for fun. :twisted:

I also want to put one of those bicycle flags on it too. The ones that stick up with orange flags and pretend I'm a tour guide. OK chaps, follow the orange flag now... he he he :twisted:

Yes, I do have an evil, twisted brain....

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Worse part, the whole "cheating and getting on rides faster" is really a myth! Most of the time, they force the wheelchair/scooter to go through the queue lines. The only time they don't is when the queue lines can not handle the wheelchair/scooter. Even then, sometimes they still do - the serpentine queue area in the Living Seas with the Nemo ride is not truely negotiable with wheelchairs and scooters, and yet they force us through it every time!

One time at Disneyland all the wheelchair/scooter people could not board the POTC because the entire area available was consumed. There was no space available until those scooters left. Then a boat came in with a bunch of teenagers, and it turned out they had rented all those scooters that were parked there! Had to be 14+ teen-agers - all perfectly healthy, fit (even athletic) with zero impairment - using the scooter so they could get around the park instead of walking! So every time they went from ride to ride, they would block out other truely impaired/disabled guests from being able to ride! It's that kind of abuse I believe that makes people de-sensitized to the plight of people in scooters & wheelchairs.

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Dec Tue 08, 2009 3:35 pm

mindflipper wrote:Worse part, the whole "cheating and getting on rides faster" is really a myth! Most of the time, they force the wheelchair/scooter to go through the queue lines. The only time they don't is when the queue lines can not handle the wheelchair/scooter. Even then, sometimes they still do - the serpentine queue area in the Living Seas with the Nemo ride is not truely negotiable with wheelchairs and scooters, and yet they force us through it every time!

One time at Disneyland all the wheelchair/scooter people could not board the POTC because the entire area available was consumed. There was no space available until those scooters left. Then a boat came in with a bunch of teenagers, and it turned out they had rented all those scooters that were parked there! Had to be 14+ teen-agers - all perfectly healthy, fit (even athletic) with zero impairment - using the scooter so they could get around the park instead of walking! So every time they went from ride to ride, they would block out other truely impaired/disabled guests from being able to ride! It's that kind of abuse I believe that makes people de-sensitized to the plight of people in scooters & wheelchairs.
That's horrible! I would be sooooooooooo mad if that happened to me.

I almost got stuck in the queue at that big Fun Wheel thing at DCA. That was scary!