Pet peeves

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 08, 2009 4:15 pm

hockeygirl wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Worse part, the whole "cheating and getting on rides faster" is really a myth! Most of the time, they force the wheelchair/scooter to go through the queue lines. The only time they don't is when the queue lines can not handle the wheelchair/scooter. Even then, sometimes they still do - the serpentine queue area in the Living Seas with the Nemo ride is not truely negotiable with wheelchairs and scooters, and yet they force us through it every time!

One time at Disneyland all the wheelchair/scooter people could not board the POTC because the entire area available was consumed. There was no space available until those scooters left. Then a boat came in with a bunch of teenagers, and it turned out they had rented all those scooters that were parked there! Had to be 14+ teen-agers - all perfectly healthy, fit (even athletic) with zero impairment - using the scooter so they could get around the park instead of walking! So every time they went from ride to ride, they would block out other truely impaired/disabled guests from being able to ride! It's that kind of abuse I believe that makes people de-sensitized to the plight of people in scooters & wheelchairs.
That's horrible! I would be sooooooooooo mad if that happened to me.

I almost got stuck in the queue at that big Fun Wheel thing at DCA. That was scary!
That is just awful!!! It's scary that kids think it's ok to do things like that.

The queue for the fun wheel is scary! I almost lost grip on the chair while maneuvering down the slope and around the corners. Plus, they really don't have an area to park the chairs/ECVs and they end up in the way of the other people exiting the ride. I think that was a serious design flaw.

I would imagine trying to get out of that area with an ECV is highly difficult to darn near impossible....

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by withspirit » Dec Tue 08, 2009 4:32 pm

OK chaps, follow the orange flag now... he he he
Then you could lead people into dead end alleys, the wrong end of the line, the smoking areas...

(Maybe I have an evil twisted brain too)
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Tue 08, 2009 5:22 pm

mindflipper wrote:Worse part, the whole "cheating and getting on rides faster" is really a myth! Most of the time, they force the wheelchair/scooter to go through the queue lines. The only time they don't is when the queue lines can not handle the wheelchair/scooter. Even then, sometimes they still do - the serpentine queue area in the Living Seas with the Nemo ride is not truely negotiable with wheelchairs and scooters, and yet they force us through it every time!

One time at Disneyland all the wheelchair/scooter people could not board the POTC because the entire area available was consumed. There was no space available until those scooters left. Then a boat came in with a bunch of teenagers, and it turned out they had rented all those scooters that were parked there! Had to be 14+ teen-agers - all perfectly healthy, fit (even athletic) with zero impairment - using the scooter so they could get around the park instead of walking! So every time they went from ride to ride, they would block out other truely impaired/disabled guests from being able to ride! It's that kind of abuse I believe that makes people de-sensitized to the plight of people in scooters & wheelchairs.
Now that is absolute BU*LSh*T! I would have had to say something and start a scene with them! Did you say something to a CM and then ask for a supervisor It's Disney and if you start a stink they will do something (REACT). I'm PIS*ED just reading about it!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:

Now that is absolute BU*LSh*T! I would have had to say something and start a scene with them! Did you say something to a CM and then ask for a supervisor It's Disney and if you start a stink they will do something (REACT). I'm PIS*ED just reading about it!
You'd think Disney could do something about it, but because of legalities, they cannot. If there was a way to get around it, I'm sure they would. Unfortunately, they cannot force someone to provide proof that they need to have a wheelchair.
There used to be a special assistance pass in DL that allowed people who had an extra need (and not necessarily the need for a wheelchair) to use the ADA entrances at attractions. Because so many people abused it, they stopped issuing them. We were told that my DH's cane would act as the pass...that was a load of BS. Not one CM that trip acknowledged him and we were forced into the long lines. We ended up not riding many rides that trip because the waits were long and with his leg was not able to keep up with just standing in a line for half an hour or more. There is only once in my recent memory that a CM acknowledged him with the cane...it was at Buzz Lightyear and he let us go in the FP entrance. The next day, we went over there and were snubbed and forced in a line that wrapped around the building.

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Dec Tue 08, 2009 6:14 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
That is just awful!!! It's scary that kids think it's ok to do things like that.

The queue for the fun wheel is scary! I almost lost grip on the chair while maneuvering down the slope and around the corners. Plus, they really don't have an area to park the chairs/ECVs and they end up in the way of the other people exiting the ride. I think that was a serious design flaw.

I would imagine trying to get out of that area with an ECV is highly difficult to darn near impossible....
I barely had enough room to maneuver through the gate and get on the fun wheel. Serious design flaw which is kind of weird since it was built after ADA. :shock:

Withspirit, I like how your mind works. :twisted:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Sorry, Jacca5660, but MmeLeota is right - due to legalities, they can't restrict who rents those scooters. They can, however, have the right to limit how many can be on a ride at once. They could have limited 3 or less scooter per groups at any one time, and made them break it up and take longer to get through the ride. This would allow more of a fair chance to others in line. That would have discouraged them from using those scooters. Very few legitimate groups have 4 or more in a group.

Another option they could do is double the price for the scooters/wheelchair rentals, but for those who have disabled permit/disabled-noted DL/doctor's letter, the rental fee is cut in half. That could discourage those renting who don't need to rent.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 08, 2009 7:38 pm

mindflipper wrote:Sorry, Jacca5660, but MmeLeota is right - due to legalities, they can't restrict who rents those scooters. They can, however, have the right to limit how many can be on a ride at once. They could have limited 3 or less scooter per groups at any one time, and made them break it up and take longer to get through the ride. This would allow more of a fair chance to others in line. That would have discouraged them from using those scooters. Very few legitimate groups have 4 or more in a group.

Another option they could do is double the price for the scooters/wheelchair rentals, but for those who have disabled permit/disabled-noted DL/doctor's letter, the rental fee is cut in half. That could discourage those renting who don't need to rent.
I know there are a few attractions where they only allow x amount of wheelchairs/scooters on at a time (Space Mountain comes to mind) and I think that it's a great idea!

As far as the higher rental prices go, there would have to be some sort of cut off point as far as who would qualify for the discount. Would someone on crutches with a sprained ankle be forced to pay the higher price? If not, what would stop someone from taping up an ankle and carrying crutches just to be able to get a chair? (sorry, playing devil's advocate here...I've seen it happen though sadly enough)
Legally, I'm not sure a doctor's note can be shown as "proof"...in a previous job where I had to deal with that sort of thing, we were never allowed to accept any kind of medical papers that specify anything about someone's condition.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Yeh, it's one of those "broken systems" that needs to be replaced, but there's no "new & better system" to replace it.... :(

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Dec Fri 18, 2009 1:22 pm

We went to Disney World several years back after my sister had knee surgery. She tried walking the first half day, but just wasn't up to it. By then they were out of the electric wheelchairs so my mother and I pushed her everywhere (I slept well that night). The staff was very nice and always allowed us to go through the Fast Pass lines (where available). The next day we got there bright and early and got an electric one. Now we had to run to keep up with her. We did have one problem. The wheelchair died and we had to wait for a technician. It's sad that so many people abuse the system and make it difficult for those it was meant to help.

stunrut
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by stunrut » Dec Thu 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Ok. Story time. My wife and my son and I were lined up near Main Street Station waiting for the Electric Light Parade. My son (7 at the time) was right up against the tape line so he could see. Just as the parade comes into view a (large) guest steps out in front of my son to video the parade. I yelled at him several time and he ignored me! My son couldn't see and we had waited a long time to get those spots!

Finally a cast member came over and asked him to get behind the line. He tried to push my son back but I stepped up and wouldn't budge so he stepped around to the back. However, as soon as the cast member walked away he stepped out in front of my son again. I was pretty angry but without violence there was little I could do.

After a few moments i started hearing a wet "splat" sound. It repeated several times and this guy's shirt started getting light colored patches on the back! I turned around and my wife (I Love Her so much!) was flinging spoonfuls of her Dole Whip at the guy!!!

Finally his wife (who likely has to wash his shirt) walked up and drug him to the back of the crowd. Never saw him again.

I love my wife!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Fri 01, 2010 12:19 pm

:lol: I LOVE your story stunrut!!!! Your wife is awesome!!! Serves that guy right for cutting in front of your son! Some people are so rude and think they are the only ones that matter. I hope that guys wife had fun washing the dole whip out of shirt! :P

stunrut

Post by stunrut » Jan Fri 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes, she IS awesome. I love her way of thinking.