Which Tower of Terror do you prefer ?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Apr Wed 11, 2007 8:51 am

realcal wrote:
Esmeralda wrote:The major difference is that the California version does not move horizontally so there is no 5th dimension section. To me that's a real drawback from the storyline. I definitely favor Disney World's Tower of Terror.
In what ways does the WDW TOT move horizontally? Left/Right, Forward/Backward?
It moves forward out of the initial shaft and somewhat to the left or right to get into the new shaft (at least if I recall correctly).
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Wed 11, 2007 10:53 am

For those gamers out there:

A video of TOT made in half-life 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7AfQF_RQo
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

TheGreatGonzo
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by TheGreatGonzo » Apr Wed 11, 2007 11:13 am

In one section it moves forward and makes a couple of small turns to position itself. In another it moves backward, turns 90 degrees and then moves forward. All these moves are fairly slow.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Wed 11, 2007 2:36 pm

Here's neat flash video someone made that maps the entire ride by floors. You're supposedly the ride operator, so you ahve to hit a few buttons before the flash animation starts. (***may be a spoiler in that it shows how the ride works, but it isn't a spoiler story-wise***)

http://disneysims.googlepages.com/tot.html

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Thu 12, 2007 10:21 am

That's a really cool flash page. :) I didn't think the window rooms were on separate floors. I'm so disappointed DCA skimped out of the 5th dimension for higher ride capacity.

thsawrp
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by thsawrp » May Tue 01, 2007 9:43 pm

The facade at DisneyWorld is better but i like the ride sequence at DCA better. :mickey:

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » May Wed 02, 2007 2:19 pm

I watched the Half-Life movie a while ago and forgot to thank you for posting it, sub. Nice movie that almost made me forget the crappy ending to that otherwise awesome game.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Thu 03, 2007 12:44 am

Captain Schnemo wrote:I watched the Half-Life movie a while ago and forgot to thank you for posting it, sub. Nice movie that almost made me forget the crappy ending to that otherwise awesome game.
Ahh, I didn't know you were a gamer :) I can't wait for HL2 part 2. I guess it's not On Topic though.

rocketman
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by rocketman » May Mon 07, 2007 10:41 am

My friends in California call their tower, "Tower Of Terror Light" as compared to the original in Florida. I've ridden both and would have to agree although the ride sequence is pretty cool. But for sheer dropping craziness, Florida all the way!
Last edited by rocketman on May Mon 07, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » May Mon 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Something I just thought of:

Does the CA version have the ghosts, the lightning and the "false ending" in its drop shafts? I know that the right-hand side elevators ("Foxtrot") at MGM have those effects. I'm not sure if they were there originally, but I've only noticed them within the past four or five years. I'm thinking they were added during one of the drop-sequence updates.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Mon 07, 2007 3:35 pm

After seeing the pictures and reading the trip reports, DLT's Tower of Terror seems to be the best. We still love the MGM version. During Fantismic, it a walk on and you can just keep riding!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

RiaLucia
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by RiaLucia » May Wed 30, 2007 11:38 pm

Gosh, I enjoy the ride so much and didn't really think about the differences before. I haven't done the DCA version nearly as many times as at the Studios (think two or three times as opposed to dozens and dozens), and now that I read other people's analysis of the differences, I gotta go with Florida. You disappear into another dimension the minute you take a turn past the restrooms at the corner and ascend up the hill into the queue. The music is perfect, the horizontal move forward just sets you up all that much more for the surprise (or non-suprise) drop. Plus I just love doing ToT and then running over to Rockin' Roller Coaster to get my jollies in a speeding car. :-)

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » May Thu 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I have to say I liked WDW's Tower of Terror the best. I think it has to do with how, unlike a real elevator, it moves forward as well as up and down. (Heh. Like Willy Wonka's elevator) I went on the WDW Tower of Terror before the Disneyland one was made, so that could be the reason I like it more. But the main reason I like Disney World's Tower of Terror is because it moves so unlike a regular elevator that it really seems like an elevator from the Twilight Zone.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jun Mon 04, 2007 11:10 am

Magique wrote:I think it has to do with how, unlike a real elevator, it moves forward as well as up and down.
The one at Disneyland moved horizontal as well, but it's right in the beginning. That's why I think WDW's is better, you still think you're in an elevator from the start but then later you move in a different direction. There's no surprised at DLRs.

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » Jun Mon 04, 2007 1:47 pm

Yes, and it feels like you are more involved in the WDW Tower of Terror.