Which Tower of Terror do you prefer ?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

marcdijon
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Which Tower of Terror do you prefer ?

Post by marcdijon » Mar Sat 31, 2007 4:38 pm

Which Tower of Terror do you like the most ? Disneyworld or Disneyland ?

just asking as Paris'Tower will be the same as Disneyland's one

dinosaur33
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by dinosaur33 » Mar Sat 31, 2007 6:16 pm

WDW's tower will always be my favorite, but the Tokyo TOT looks cool. I'd like to see it someday. I wasn't too impressed by the DL one though.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Apr Sun 01, 2007 7:16 am

I've only been on the WDW one, so I'm kinda biased towards that one right now..

Andy.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Apr Sun 01, 2007 7:37 am

Having not been on the California version, what are the big differences between the two?
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Apr Sun 01, 2007 9:47 am

The major difference is that the California version does not move horizontally so there is no 5th dimension section. To me that's a real drawback from the storyline. I definitely favor Disney World's Tower of Terror.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Apr Sun 01, 2007 11:09 am

I've been on both. WDW's is definitely better, but DCA's is still a lot of fun. 8)

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Sun 01, 2007 2:23 pm

The queues are different outside. The one at MGM has a winding path surrounded by greenery and a dry pond which definitely adds to the atmosphere. Also, the random sequences make it more fun and unpredictable. So yeah, definitely WDW.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Apr Sun 01, 2007 6:28 pm

I prefer the one at Disney/Pixar Studios.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Mon 02, 2007 10:41 am

Actually, the DLR version does move horizontally, but only at the very start, it moves back about 20 feet. It's no where near as good as WDW's

I've been on both several times. WDW's 5th dimension makes the ride for me. I'm so upset they cut that part out at DLR. DLR's has a little effect where they make you disappear and look like a ghost. It's a cheesy in my opinion.

But, I think the drop is longer / better at DLR's compared to WDW's. DLR's also has randomness to it. I feel you're weightless more at DLR.

I recently went to WDW with friends whom had been on DLR's first (I went on WDW's first) and they really liked the 5th dimension but are still a little torn about which TOT is better.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Yensidaj
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Yensidaj » Apr Mon 02, 2007 4:19 pm

I actually dont like either :) the drop part that is. Everything else about the ride I love but when I get to that drop I just about drop something else :oops:

DISNEYman
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DISNEYman » Apr Mon 02, 2007 8:55 pm

I probably don't have to type so much, but I feel like giving full detail on this.

For me, Tower of Terror was always a ride I was dying to ride someday when it was first built at MGM-Studios. The first ToT I rode though was DCA. Despite knowing about the absence of the fifth dimension, I was very excited to have our own Tower, and I fell in love with the ride.

Enter last week, when I made my first trip to WDW, and headed straight for MGM Studios. Honestly, I was just blown away by Florida's tower. I love how the hotel sits atop the hill, with the meandering path that gives the attraction as much of an ominous tone as the Haunted Mansion. The lobby and pre-show is the same (albeit the pre-show needs mechanical tune-ups on both coasts), but the boiler room is not. The boiler room at DCA is cool, but it feels very cartoonish, and is remniscent of the idealized queue of Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. The boiler room at MGM looks like a boiler room, and has a very creepy feel to it.

In terms of the ride, MGM's just destroys California Adventure's. In California Adventure, you immediately move backwards, and it's established that this is not an ordinary elevator. At MGM, you begin with a normal ascent, giving everyone the sense that this is just your standard elevator that moves vertically up and down. Then, queue Rod Serling's voice over establishing you are now leaving the ordinary, and seriously, how amazing is the fifth dimension? The winding path you follow, and the "creation" of that elevator door is great. You enter the elevator shaft, and now you find out the elevator has a mind of its own. The random drop sequences were exhiliarting and much longer. By far my favorite moment of the ride, however, is how you travel back through the fifth dimension, and then your elevator ROTATES to bring you to the exit.

I love how you exit a different section of the building, and when you enter the elevator, you enter the service elevator doors and immediately enter the elevator. At DCA, there is a hallway seperating the service elevator doors and the actual elevator. That really just states to everyone that Disney was not willing to spend the money on a small intangible that adds to the ride. MGM Tower for the win.

I would like to try TDS' Tower some day.
Last edited by DISNEYman on Apr Tue 03, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Apr Tue 03, 2007 6:53 am

Wow, DCA sounds really different. Can't wait to try it out though - thanks for the additional info.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

CDAbleson
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by CDAbleson » Apr Tue 03, 2007 8:40 am

The Overall Theme and Story, is SO much better at WDW...including the 5th Dimension...

marcdijon

Post by marcdijon » Apr Sat 07, 2007 11:52 am

the TOT built in paris is going to be the exact replica of DCA's TOT.
i am a bit upset about it....first because WDW's one is better and they could have chosen this one...but i am also upset that they're gonna built the EXACT replica....why couldn't we have your own genuine TOT with differences to the others....:(

realcal
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by realcal » Apr Wed 11, 2007 8:43 am

Esmeralda wrote:The major difference is that the California version does not move horizontally so there is no 5th dimension section. To me that's a real drawback from the storyline. I definitely favor Disney World's Tower of Terror.
In what ways does the WDW TOT move horizontally? Left/Right, Forward/Backward?
A very merry unbirthday to you!