What is your favorite use of audio-animatronics?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

rellwood
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by rellwood » Nov Thu 25, 2004 7:21 pm

In the tradition of the "What's your favorite..." topic threads, I have one that I've been thinking about for a while. What's your favorite use of audio-animatornics in the parks, past and present? This can be anything from a complete attraction that is practically nothing but (such as Pirates) to a particular character within an attraction that you think is particurally effective.

Although I'm dazzled by the technical mastery of the super-realistic animatronics such as the pirates or Abe Lincoln, I'm so distracted with studying them (trying to figure out what's making them robot-like) that I'm usually not able to suspend disbelief. So, I'd say that I think that the more cartoony/stylized animatronics are more effective for me. I'd probably vote for Splash Mountain or (its forefather) America Sings.

bartman454
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bartman454 » Nov Thu 25, 2004 9:59 pm

Theirs a lot of great AA figures at Disney but I have to say I have been most impressed with SIR from Alien Encounter. His movement is just very fluid and really brought me into the story of the ride. A close second goes to the AA figures in Timekeeper, they also rock

Jack
"This is a very moving moment"
"Yeah I wish they'd move it to Pittsburgh!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Fri 26, 2004 12:58 am

Personally, I'm always a little freaked out by the "hairy leg" in PotC. It looks just so realistic that it freaks me out each time I ride it. By far, the best. I also like those in the America pavillion in "The American Adventure" and the ones used in "Muppetvision 3D".
Last edited by js3901 on Nov Sat 27, 2004 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vivi

Post by Vivi » Nov Fri 26, 2004 1:55 am

:D I love the ones in Muppet 3D, those two guys are hilarious

I really like the Hopper one in It's Tough To Be A Bug :)
Looks just like Hopper in the movie

Disneynut
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Disneynut » Nov Fri 26, 2004 9:42 am

My favorite use of audio animatronics would have to be The American Adventure show located in the world showcase. The 35 animatronics used in this show are incredible!

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Nov Fri 26, 2004 8:50 pm

js3901 wrote:Personally, I'm always a little freaked out by the "hairy leg" in PotC. It looks just so realistic that it freks me out each time I ride it. By far, the best.
is that the pirate that sits on the bridge and you pass right under it? he's cool even though i imagine he has smelly feet.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

js3901

Post by js3901 » Nov Sat 27, 2004 12:32 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:
js3901 wrote:Personally, I'm always a little freaked out by the "hairy leg" in PotC. It looks just so realistic that it freaks me out each time I ride it. By far, the best.
is that the pirate that sits on the bridge and you pass right under it? he's cool even though i imagine he has smelly feet.
That it would be.

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Nov Sat 27, 2004 9:43 am

The Hairy Leg is good and I agree on Timekeeper and 9-eye - very well done. For me, I really like Spaceship Earth's AA cast, they bring that ride to life...

rellwood

Post by rellwood » Nov Sat 27, 2004 2:38 pm

I also really like the tiny, miniture robot you see just before entering Innoventions. You can get co close to him--he's neato!

amychester

Post by amychester » Nov Sat 27, 2004 8:25 pm

Personally, I'm always a little freaked out by the "hairy leg" in PotC. It looks just so realistic that it freaks me out each time I ride it.
yes yes yes... me too! When I was younger, I would always look up his pants to see if his pirate jewels were showing... :oops:

Best AA I'd have to go with American Adventure = you just can't beat Ben Franklin walking up those stairs. It's so amazing.

G2-4T

Post by G2-4T » Nov Sat 27, 2004 10:30 pm

I forgot about Lucky the Dinosaur - I saw him at DCA a couple years ago I think. The first ever free walking AA, now that was impressive! Wandering around the Backlot area towing a cart , quite a jump in AA technology.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Nov Sat 27, 2004 11:26 pm

G2-4T wrote:I forgot about Lucky the Dinosaur - I saw him at DCA a couple years ago I think. The first ever free walking AA, now that was impressive! Wandering around the Backlot area towing a cart , quite a jump in AA technology.
i recently skimmed an article about Lucky- and i want to see him! i wont be going to WDW anytime soon though.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Nov Mon 29, 2004 1:16 pm

amychester wrote:yes yes yes... me too! When I was younger, I would always look up his pants to see if his pirate jewels were showing... :oops:
Haha! :lol:

Nice job on keeping that in a Disneyesque manor.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

wallerman8

Post by wallerman8 » Nov Mon 29, 2004 1:22 pm

It has to Be C.O.P.

rick-g-tn

Post by rick-g-tn » Nov Mon 29, 2004 4:27 pm

I agree with Bartman. SIR is very fluid in movements along with the time keeper. I guess by not having to deal with "skin" the movements can be more realistic.