Strollers, require an age limit?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Sun 15, 2007 8:52 am

You can't ban stroller. That would be like banning those electric chairs, now those people will run you over. What about the high Schoolers and 20 something's that run through the park? You can't just start banning things, that attitude is way the laws in this country are so screwed up!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Mon 16, 2007 7:45 pm

O.K. here goes, you are going to hate me! I have two children (7 and almost 5) and we are planning to go to DW in September and I am planning to rent a double stroller for them. Before you come down on me let me say that I too very much dislike the big clunky double strollers. I would much rather have a front and back tandem stroller. I have experienced taking my own stroller to the park and it was a huge pain so I opt to rent them at the park. Also, I have been hit in the heels with other strollers and have gotten irritated with other parents and how reckless they can be so I am extra careful when I am "driving" and try to go the route where the least people are at. Now the reason I am allowing my 7 year old to ride is because my 5 year old is riding. They both get tired and have you ever tried to allow one child to do something and not the other? It can get ugly! I know I will get some flack for this but you have to pick your battles and that is not one that I am willing to fight the entire trip.

Also, as for the other subject, my mother has a heart condition and cannot walk through the entire park so she will be renting an ECV. She is not overweight so that is not the problem. She had heart surgery 8 years ago and her heart is in a weakened state so she cannot last to walk all day. Also, she is very careful when riding and considers the people around her. We just figure we will take our time and not rush and we will be fine.

It is nice to have the stroller for the kids to take a nap or rest during the day. I think that it is definitely up to the individual family what they choose to do. Like I said, I do agree that people with strollers need to be extra cautious and not push through crowds. But I think that Disney should be about family time and fun and if parents want to rent a stroller for their children, why not? To each his own.

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Jul Mon 16, 2007 8:44 pm

I find the problem not to be the individual strollers but it is the "Stroller Brigade" where groups of stroller people have to walk side by side chatting away and blocking a wide swath. As for age I just feel that the people with the older kids in strollers are slowing down their own day with having to find a parking place for their stroller outside of rides and making their way through the crowd. My daughter walked all day long at the park when she was 5 and survived just fine.

jiminycricket

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Mon 16, 2007 9:18 pm

I agree with you on the "Stroller Brigade"! I have seen people do that before and it is very inconsiderate. I always try to think about the people around me, I guess I am just like that. I really like to keep things cool and not cause trouble.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jul Mon 16, 2007 9:51 pm

As for age I just feel that the people with the older kids in strollers are slowing down their own day with having to find a parking place for their stroller outside of rides and making their way through the crowd.
I, personally, don't care what age the kids are when they ride in the strollers. I had to hoof it myself when I was 2, as my parents didn't see fit to bring a stroller/rent one. the most I got was a piggy-back ride if I started to whine. But, one thing I CAN'T STAND is the stroller parking.

I KNOW the strollers can't go on the rides with you (at least the vast majority of rides), and they HAVE to go SOMEPLACE. But, I just hate how they are RIGHT IN FRONT of most attractions. the Parking in Fantasyland is a NIGHTMARE, as the alleyway between Fantasyland and Liberty Square is already too small an area (iasw and Peter Pan right there). I got really sick of weaving around the things going into The Land pavillion at Epcot. and don't even get me started on the area near the new Finding Nemo show at AK...

ok, enough of my rant. Soapbox is now safely away...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

HSolo29
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HSolo29 » Jul Tue 17, 2007 1:35 am

The only problem I have with strollers in the parks(and this was already beaten to death in this thread) is the reckless people who think they own the parks when they have a stroller in hand. They don't seem to have any patience and just plow through a crowd of people to get wherever they're going - especially around fireworks and parade times. I've been clipped in the heels so many times on past trips and it gets annoying real fast. But I digress.

In terms of an age limit, I say that's up to the parent. Sure, I may think it's too old for a 7 year old to be riding in a stroller, but that's my personal opinion. I'm not going to shove my point of view on someone who feels their children do need a stroller at that age. After all, I may not understand the circumstances and it's ultimately their choice to make.
"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation."

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Tue 17, 2007 9:43 am

HSolo29 wrote:The only problem I have with strollers in the parks(and this was already beaten to death in this thread) is the reckless people who think they own the parks when they have a stroller in hand. They don't seem to have any patience and just plow through a crowd of people to get wherever they're going - especially around fireworks and parade times. I've been clipped in the heels so many times on past trips and it gets annoying real fast. But I digress.

In terms of an age limit, I say that's up to the parent. Sure, I may think it's too old for a 7 year old to be riding in a stroller, but that's my personal opinion. I'm not going to shove my point of view on someone who feels their children do need a stroller at that age. After all, I may not understand the circumstances and it's ultimately their choice to make.
VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

pkbabygirl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by pkbabygirl » Apr Thu 24, 2008 12:42 pm

I have a child and would use a stroller since I have MS and cannot carry her a lot. My husband also has bad knees. We have discussed this at length and will use stroller options as back up support for us. However, I don't think people should use the strollers to bully their way through the park and people should have some manners.

It is ridiculous when children cannot sit comfortablu, but are curled up in a ball to fit in a stroller. Come on, teach your child to walk and take breaks. I walked through Disney on my own two feet from age 5 on.

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Apr Thu 24, 2008 1:48 pm

you people are Horrible. these kids are worked harder and harder each day....School has become more intense as we slam more work on these poor kids. A parent has the right to put their 10 yr old in a stroller if it will help the kid relax and enjoy his/her vacation. sometimes they don't have luxery of comfortable shoes....they are stuck wearing $140 designer shoes that have no support. as for 20 somethings running through the park....perhaps they have to use the bathroom? and Stroller Brigades....come on you selfish people. let them have the right of way...don't you have any sympathy for those that have to have strollers...you should get out of their way! of course i'm just kidding i laughed reading the posts agreeing with 90% of them... My favorite still is watching a parent yell at their kid to settle down. laugh you have them pumped with sugar in the most euphoric atmosphere to children and kids at heart. keep yelling...i'm sure it will make your trip better and your kids less excited...laugh.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Thu 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Disney rasies stroller rental prices...

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky042408a.htm

After all the calculations, it comes down to benefitting Disney and their money, but at least it indirectly helps us by keeping the massive amounts of strollers off the walkways. If children can walk, they should walk. I guess money is the only way to make parents see that.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Apr Thu 24, 2008 4:58 pm

I'm kind of divided on the stroller price increase. I do hope it will keep people from needlessly renting strollers just to haul crap around, but I feel bad for people who really do need them (especially younger families) who are gonna have to pay through the nose for it.

I don't think they'd be legally able to enforce an age limit. You don't know why a family is renting a stroller for their 7-year-old, and the Americans with Disabilities Act would suggest you can't ask (and, frankly, I don't think it's anyone's business).

I really don't think the issue is older kids in strollers as much as RUDE PEOPLE pushing the durn things, anyway. I also have the same issue with people who rent ECVs and use them as battering rams. That, and the fact that Disney hasn't come up with a good way/place to park the things. If they're gonna rent them out, it's on them to provide infrastructure to make sure they don't clutter up the place (within reason - if people just leave them lying around willy-nilly it's obviously not Disney's fault, though they should still try to marshal them around, imo).

I don't have (and won't have) kids, so the price increase doesn't affect me, but I feel bad for people who's vacation this will impact.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Apr Mon 28, 2008 6:12 am

You really can't put an age limit on stroller use since most 2,3 and 4 year olds don't carry ID, but you do wish people would just use some common sense and show a little respect for others.
I agree with the "stroller brigade" comment. Groups of strollers 2 or more wide are very inconsiderate. Especially if they are the dreaded "double wide" strollers.

RREng77

Post by RREng77 » May Sat 03, 2008 10:53 pm

I have to weigh in on this thread. I, too, brought a stroller (double-wide, no less) to WDW for our last trip with two boys: ages 12 months and 4 years. I have to say I was hit by more careless stroller drivers than I ever hit anyone else. As was mentioned earlier, I can't think of a single "accident" that was my fault, but I'm willing to believe my memory may not be all that good. But, the stroller fiasco seems much more a problem with people than it is with objects.

I can completely empathize with the others on this thread, though, since I have been to both WDW and DL with and without kids and been hit countless times in the legs, ankles, toes, and anything lower than mid-shin. Honestly - and unfortunately - the problem is rather epidemic at nearly any theme park; it's not just a Disney thing.
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

natatomic
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by natatomic » May Sat 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I swear I once saw an 8 year old (or so) boy pushing his mother around in the stroller. Don't ask me what that was about!
http://natatomic.blogspot.com

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » May Sat 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I went to WDW for the first time when I was two, and I walked. Having a stroller was not an option as far as my parents were concerned. Guess what? I lived. When I got tired, we sat down and took a break.

I hate seeing older kids in strollers. Unless they have a medical condition, there's no reason why they can't walk. I don't want to hear that little Johnny is so small and his legs can't handle walking around all day. I'm only 4'11" as an adult, so you can guess how tiny I was at two; definitely a lot smaller than every other two year old around. I walked.

I hate strollers and I hate the dependency on them these days.