In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Disney Cruise Line Expanding!!

Post by AKLRULZ » Feb Sat 24, 2007 8:58 am

HUGE NEWS!
The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) plans to expand its successful cruise business by adding two new ocean liners, President and CEO Bob Iger announced today. Scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012, the ships will more than double the passenger capacity for Disney Cruise Line to meet the sustained demand for Disney's family cruise vacations.

The company signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft shipyard, based in Papenburg, Germany, to negotiate a contract to build the 122,000-ton new cruise liners, which will be two decks taller than the existing 83,000-ton ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms. Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still in development and will be unveiled at a later date.

"Since our maiden voyage in 1998, Disney Cruise Line has been a huge success for our guests and for our shareholders alike," Iger said. "It has brought our unparalleled family vacation experience to the high seas, and has also generated high margins and double digit returns on invested capital. We're excited to announce the expansion of our fleet, which is a logical next step in what is a real growth business for us."

Disney Cruise Line established the family market within the cruise industry when the business launched in 1998. The first two ships were purpose built for families to reconnect and recharge while creating vacation memories that will last a lifetime. From a theater featuring live musical spectaculars to a luxurious spa for adults and nearly an entire deck dedicated to children's activities, the ships offer something for every member of the family. Disney Cruise Line continues to grow by attracting passengers who say they would not have cruised if it hadn't been for the Disney brand.

"Focusing on families has been smart business for us," said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "More than 95 percent of Disney Cruise Line guests rate their cruise experience as excellent or very good. Families know they can trust us to provide a quality, immersive Disney experience. As a result, Disney Cruise Line continually sets sail with the highest load factors in the industry of nearly 150 percent."

Similar to the original Disney Cruise Line ships, the new ships will be a modern interpretation of classic ocean liners of the 1930s. Disney Imagineers drew their inspiration from the original trans-Atlantic ships that featured a dramatic black hull with two funnels and porthole windows. The profile of the ships, with its gentle curves at the stern combined with sleek angles at the bow, are reminiscent of the art deco designs of the era. To add whimsy to the classic design, the Disney ships have the same exterior color palette as Mickey Mouse with black, white, red and yellow. The new ships will feature elegant, detailed Disney scrollwork at the bow and will evoke images of the glamour of the golden age of cruising.

Tom McAlpin, the President of Disney Cruise Line, said, "This is an exciting time for Disney Cruise Line, and we are looking forward to working with Meyer Werft to blend our innovation and creativity with their fine craftsmanship. Meyer Werft has a long tradition of building magnificent ships. We are confident that the result will be ships that take the immersive Disney family-focused cruise experience to an entirely new level."
:D

DCL LINK
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

stinoi
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by stinoi » Feb Sat 24, 2007 9:23 am

Wow! That's a major expansion to their cruise business. Now if they just had a value resort version of their cruise ship maybe my wife and I could actually afford a cruise! :) It looks like the new ships will depart from the same port as the current fleet, but I've always wondered if Disney is going to begin to expand the ports of call they depart from (and therefore expand the destinations they visit) down the road.

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Awesome

Post by sockfire » Feb Sat 24, 2007 2:10 pm

I love DCL. I'm very excited to hear about more ships!

I highly recommend the Disney Cruise! 8)

broncoflyer8912
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by broncoflyer8912 » Feb Mon 26, 2007 12:48 am

Let's make some guesses on what the two new ships will be named:

My guesses:
Disney Dreams
Disney Wishes
Sometimes the bluest part of the sky seems so far away from us, I guess thats what keeps us striving for it...
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8092/userbar517363if3.gif[/img][/url]

sockfire

Post by sockfire » Feb Mon 26, 2007 1:17 am

broncoflyer8912 wrote:Let's make some guesses on what the two new ships will be named:

My guesses:
Disney Dreams
Disney Wishes
those are great guesses!

here's mine:
Disney Fantasy
Disney Majesty

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Mar Fri 02, 2007 11:42 am

Wow.. cool love the DCL too.

Maybe now it will be easier to book a cruise!

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Disneys America
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Disneys America » Mar Wed 07, 2007 11:29 am

Disney Dreams and Disney Wishes appear to be the names that are coming up most frequently.

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Wed 07, 2007 12:53 pm

I've heard mixed things about the DCL. I heard that Disney has their own island....but it's having problems with swarms of flies. Is this true? :shock:
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Mar Wed 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Disney does have an island - Castaway Cay. I have not heard anything about swarms of flies, however. I have heard only good things from people who have taken a Disney cruise (not the company line, but from actual people who have taken the cruise).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

borjoyzee
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by borjoyzee » Mar Wed 07, 2007 8:12 pm

^Same, I never been on the cruise line, although, I have heard good things as well. I have been on other cruises.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Wed 07, 2007 8:19 pm

borjoyzee wrote:^Same, I never been on the cruise line, although, I have heard good things as well. I have been on other cruises.
Holland America cruise lines is probably the best! I've been on two! Both were excellent times.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Thu 08, 2007 11:08 am

Sockfire has been on two cruises in his life, both on DCL. He said they were fantastic.

I have been on 3 cruises, two with Carnival and one on Princess. I found those fantastic as well. I want to go on a Disney cruise but they cost twice as much as normal cruise lines. Eventually I'll go and be able to make a true comparison.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Sarah Turp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Sarah Turp » Mar Thu 08, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm still not convinced on the idea of a Disney Cruise. To me a cruise should be pure luxury and elegance like you experience on the QE2 and QM2. Balls every evening and champagne receptions. I just cant see that on a family cruise with hundreds of kids yelling about. I love the Disney themeparks, but cruising with hundreds of kids just doesn't sound relaxing!
Stitch is Back!!!

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Thu 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Sarah Turp wrote:I'm still not convinced on the idea of a Disney Cruise. To me a cruise should be pure luxury and elegance like you experience on the QE2 and QM2. Balls every evening and champagne receptions. I just cant see that on a family cruise with hundreds of kids yelling about. I love the Disney themeparks, but cruising with hundreds of kids just doesn't sound relaxing!
agreed

js3901

Post by js3901 » Mar Thu 08, 2007 11:30 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:
Sarah Turp wrote:I'm still not convinced on the idea of a Disney Cruise. To me a cruise should be pure luxury and elegance like you experience on the QE2 and QM2. Balls every evening and champagne receptions. I just cant see that on a family cruise with hundreds of kids yelling about. I love the Disney themeparks, but cruising with hundreds of kids just doesn't sound relaxing!
agreed
Kids have almost an entire deck to themselves to play on. there's also a kids pool which is away from everyone else. there are teens and adults-only places where there are no little kids around. probably the only time you're see/hear little kids is at some meals (as not EVERYONE on the boat eats at the same time), or in the halls as you go from your room to whatevr activities you planned for the day. I don't think it's as bad as the parks, as most big families with unruly kids probably can't afford a trip on the DCL, only a trip to the parks.

But, as Sub said, Sockfire has gone on 2 DCL cruises, so he can answer this question on the kiddie situation...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak