Security Bag Checks - what a waste

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote:
cinderella75 wrote:Security Bag Checks not a waste :ccat: at least disney is trying to keep everybody safe :goofy_bounce: like families and workers :figment: you hear alot of horrible stuff happening around the world :( so Security is WELCOMED :wave:
My eyes could use some protection from the excessive use of smilies!
Hehe...thank you for saying it.

napastoy
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by napastoy » Apr Wed 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
DisBeamer wrote:
Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Alright lets not get political here. Back to the topic "Security Bag Checks - a waste of time"
It is a political issue if you really want to discuss it, though, isn't it? Because at the core it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with perception, and how perception of what is okay/reasonable/expected changed after Sept 11. I think it's interesting to examine how world politics impact escapist Disney parks. (Though for what it's worth, the 8 years - to me, anyway - was refering to 2009-2001 = 8, not a political term of office. I'm Canadian; elect whoever you want to here. ;) )

In any case, I don't think it's something Disney is doing because Disney feels its parks are unsafe, or because they think bag check does anything to promote safety. I think it's something Disney is doing because they figure the public expects it (or, rather, has been trained to). As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, including by you in the rest of that post I'm quoting, the bag checks don't do anything to make the parks safer. All they impact is perception of safety, with the exception of the tiny percentage of old ladies who forget they have a handgun in their bag. That is indeed a 'political' move on their part. If you really think about it, is there really anything to fear in the parks that will be eliminated by having someone take a peek in your bag (or anyone's), or are we just largely conditioned to think there might be nowadays? I think that's definitely germane to the topic...

Though I'll concede the freedoms bit (while I do think it's an invasion of privacy to have some Disney security guy poking through my stuff for no reason), is hot button and will leave it out of further discussion.
DisBeamer has hit the nail on the head about the security check points being fluff! They are just part of the show. To be honest. MINE WAS A POLITICAL STATEMENT. I'll play nice and check myself in future discussions, unless provoked. Sorry that's the best I can promise. Just wanted to be honest. :oops: :roll: :shock:

Bravo to you and DisBeamer...Security nowadays is very politically motivated. Like someone else said "If someone is hellbent on doing something they will find a way to do it." That is reality and the truth whether people like it or not. I too will "check myself" in the future discussions now that I have put my two cents in. :wink:
"“Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » May Thu 07, 2009 9:19 pm

subsonic wrote:...I remember the entrance to Magic Kingdom being so open and inviting. Now the view is obscured by these stupid booths. And on busy days it can take a long time to get through.
I have to say this is one of the things I miss the most. That beautiful, inviting, picturesque entrance is ruined by bag-check stations. I keep thinking "It's temporary." But, deep inside, I'm afraid it may be here for good.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

stunrut
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by stunrut » Jan Fri 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey, their creating more Disney jobs! I would do that to work at Disney!