Security Bag Checks - what a waste

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Gymfan15
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Gymfan15 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 11:43 pm

How nice! :) Your wife wouldn't be on MiceChat, would she?
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/r76ikm.jpg[/img]
- Spareoom.net
Your place for everything Narnia!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Sun 01, 2009 1:12 am

Sometimes
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Gymfan15

Post by Gymfan15 » Feb Mon 02, 2009 11:19 am

Ok; I think I've seen her around. :)

Anyway, back on topic. Security bag checks! A gigantic pain in the tush, because you have to open up EVERY bag for two seconds, then rush to pick everything back up off the table while the people in line behind you give you dirty looks for taking so long, and then hurry off to the turnstile while trying to zip up your bags at the same time and hope that nothing falls out in the meantime.

Whew!
- Spareoom.net

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Mon 02, 2009 11:57 am

Sometimes you'll get the security guy that doesn't really care and hardly checks, I hate when I pick the wrong line with the guy that makes you take everything out and unzip everything. ARG!

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Feb Mon 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Overall, I'd say they're not as annoying as the security checks at airports, but I agree with most other folks' assessment that they're mainly there to make it appear as though Disney is being proactive about safety (and thus limit their liability should something happen). The first time I ever saw them was on our honeymoon, about a month-and-a-half after 9/11. The only criminals those bag checks will ever catch are the stupid kind who try to rob an ATM by threatening it with a knife.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Feb Mon 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Overall, I find them pointless and it breaks the feeling of "The happiest place on earth".

I can't stand them at DLR but even worse I had fond fond memories of seeing the main gate at WDW's Magic Kingdom and when I went 2 years ago that view was now ruined by security checks. :(
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Gymfan15

Post by Gymfan15 » Feb Mon 02, 2009 2:20 pm

That's another thing...those tents just don't cut it, especially for Disney. They've been there how many years, and yet they're still temporary structures. Kind of cheapens the look of the Esplanade, if you ask me.

I suppose one can hope that once the DCA entrance work is done, they can move in something more permanent and Disney-looking if they plan on keeping the security check around.
- Spareoom.net

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Mon 02, 2009 2:49 pm

What amazes me is that Disneyland just does a "security check" where they just peek into the bag for anything while Six Flags Magic Mountain here does actual metal detectors. It would seem Magic Mountain's more advanced even if it's known to be in a more dangerous area. Disney should at least do something with their so-called security checks.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Mon 02, 2009 11:53 pm

subsonic wrote:Overall, I find them pointless and it breaks the feeling of "The happiest place on earth".

I can't stand them at DLR but even worse I had fond fond memories of seeing the main gate at WDW's Magic Kingdom and when I went 2 years ago that view was now ruined by security checks. :(
I may have said this previously in this same thread, but that's the part that bothers me the most about them. The way the front of the MK at WDW is marred now really upsets me. And marred for (imo), no reason other than to provide people a false sense of security and quiet the critics. It's a real shame. :(
elizabethswann wrote:What amazes me is that Disneyland just does a "security check" where they just peek into the bag for anything while Six Flags Magic Mountain here does actual metal detectors. It would seem Magic Mountain's more advanced even if it's known to be in a more dangerous area. Disney should at least do something with their so-called security checks.
The World Of Coca Cola in downtown Atlanta does the same thing. Empty your pockets, get your bag scanned, walk through the metal detector. I personally find it hilarious they have such a Fort Knox set up going on, but it definitely makes Disney's bag check look very ... well, Mickey Mouse. The Georgia Aquarium has a similar set up, but not quite as stringent. It's all very srs bizniz compared to any Disney Park I've been in.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Feb Tue 03, 2009 8:05 am

DisBeamer wrote:The World Of Coca Cola in downtown Atlanta does the same thing. Empty your pockets, get your bag scanned, walk through the metal detector. I personally find it hilarious they have such a Fort Knox set up going on, but it definitely makes Disney's bag check look very ... well, Mickey Mouse. The Georgia Aquarium has a similar set up, but not quite as stringent. It's all very srs bizniz compared to any Disney Park I've been in.
Really? World of Coke has security? Who would want to blow that up? I mean, I have been there twice in my life (once in '96 and then again in '98) and that is plenty for me, it isn't the more exciting place to visit. Oh and I don't know why people would want to try the "cokes" of the world; if I wanted to vomit from drinking something I would just use ipecac.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Tue 03, 2009 9:28 am

I've lived in Atlanta and believe me if they have security checks, well they should be on the streets outside of the world of Coke. I mean you're almost to Tech Wood. It's so bad there, when leaving a Braves game a few years ago, I made my DW wait until we got north of the downtown area to use the rest room. Can you say WAR zone!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 03, 2009 11:41 am

Jacca5660 wrote:I've lived in Atlanta and believe me if they have security checks, well they should be on the streets outside of the world of Coke. I mean you're almost to Tech Wood. It's so bad there, when leaving a Braves game a few years ago, I made my DW wait until we got north of the downtown area to use the rest room. Can you say WAR zone!
I didn't know Atlanta was that bad. I guess when you compare the strictest WDW checkpoint experience, it comes no where close to what that is like. Metal detectors just to enter a big store!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Gymfan15

Post by Gymfan15 » Feb Wed 04, 2009 3:36 pm

So we all agree that the Disney security checkpoints are basically to avoid lawsuits and not really be stringiant and careful about what goes into the park. It's sad that in today's lawsuit-happy world it has to come to it, but oh well. One more nusiance we have to put up with in the name of keeping Disney Management in the clear!
- Spareoom.net

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Wed 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Len90 wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:I've lived in Atlanta and believe me if they have security checks, well they should be on the streets outside of the world of Coke. I mean you're almost to Tech Wood. It's so bad there, when leaving a Braves game a few years ago, I made my DW wait until we got north of the downtown area to use the rest room. Can you say WAR zone!
I didn't know Atlanta was that bad. I guess when you compare the strictest WDW checkpoint experience, it comes no where close to what that is like. Metal detectors just to enter a big store!
Not all of it is. But the further south you go... I mean, don't take a wrong turn coming out of the airport in a rental car. :shock:

Frankly I think the security at the WoC and the Aquarium is overdone, regardless. There's hardly a lot of gang activity raging on the field between the two. I guess it's to keep the 'tourist area' feeling safe but, frankly, all it makes me feel is uneasy. When you overkill the safety message like that, you're planting the idea that the area is somehow inherently unsafe. S'like the old Volvo commercials; all it ever made me think was "Gee, those must crash a lot".

I think Disney's running the same risk, really. I remember when a friend came back from WDW riiight after the bag checks were installed and I asked about them. He said "It's annoying but you feel really safe inside now". And all I could think was "Did people feel unsafe before? o.O"

Honestly, I think it's as safe or unsafe as it ever was. People still get hurt/killed on rides. There are still opportunities for people to abduct your children. Yes, bag check nabbed that old woman with the gun in her bag in Dec 07 but anyone who really wanted to bring a gun into the park could shove it in their pocket or waistband and cruise through the no bag line unhindered. Which was exactly the case before those bag check kiosks ever came into being.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Wed 04, 2009 11:25 pm

DisBeamer wrote:
Len90 wrote:
Not all of it is. But the further south you go... I mean, don't take a wrong turn coming out of the airport in a rental car. :shock:

Frankly I think the security at the WoC and the Aquarium is overdone, regardless. There's hardly a lot of gang activity raging on the field between the two. I guess it's to keep the 'tourist area' feeling safe but, frankly, all it makes me feel is uneasy. When you overkill the safety message like that, you're planting the idea that the area is somehow inherently unsafe. S'like the old Volvo commercials; all it ever made me think was "Gee, those must crash a lot".

I think Disney's running the same risk, really. I remember when a friend came back from WDW riiight after the bag checks were installed and I asked about them. He said "It's annoying but you feel really safe inside now". And all I could think was "Did people feel unsafe before? o.O"

Honestly, I think it's as safe or unsafe as it ever was. People still get hurt/killed on rides. There are still opportunities for people to abduct your children. Yes, bag check nabbed that old woman with the gun in her bag in Dec 07 but anyone who really wanted to bring a gun into the park could shove it in their pocket or waistband and cruise through the no bag line unhindered. Which was exactly the case before those bag check kiosks ever came into being.
Question? Would you walk from say Kenny's Alley to Auburn Ave. after dark?