Security Bag Checks - what a waste

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Fri 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I take RUM in a squeeze bottle I carry into the MK all the time and nobody has ever looked twice at me. Just think about it, if you can carry RUM, you can carry something flammable!

Check that...RUM is flammable.
Jacca, to you also wear your eye patch when walking in?

As far as seriousness for the bag checks, my dad had no bags and was heading in. His cell phone holster was showing a little bit from under his shirt. A security guard with a dog happened to see this and made him lift his shirt to show it was a phone. I will say though that on this particular day, the security into the park was extra tight. They were thoroughly searching bags and there was also a polce car up front.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Fri 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Len90 wrote:As far as seriousness for the bag checks, my dad had no bags and was heading in. His cell phone holster was showing a little bit from under his shirt. A security guard with a dog happened to see this and made him lift his shirt to show it was a phone. I will say though that on this particular day, the security into the park was extra tight. They were thoroughly searching bags and there was also a polce car up front.
There usually is a police cart there whenever I go though I never see the officers around. The only time I saw them was in Downtown Disney by the walkway entrance of the Grand Californian hotel near that one girly store.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jan Fri 30, 2009 4:29 pm

I know at WDW before, I have come in with my camera bag that has inner pockets large enough for me to conceal a small weapon and 7 out 10 times they won't check the small inner pockets. My SO insists on carrying a backpack (I don't know why, there is rarely anything in it) and they will just flippantly glance in it. It maybe the psychology of it, as mentioned above, but I think if someone intends to do harm, they could easily get away with it.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Gymfan15
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Gymfan15 » Jan Fri 30, 2009 6:33 pm

I know...maybe it's just the way my mind works, but whenever I see security measure, I'm always thinking of ways to get around it! Disneyland security would be fairly easy to get around...I know I've snuck whole hamburgers and sandwiches into there, although I think that's technically not allowed? What can I say; food is expensive!
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/r76ikm.jpg[/img]
- Spareoom.net
Your place for everything Narnia!

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Fri 30, 2009 6:44 pm

agingerbugg is correct this is only a Disneyland Problem. WDW has NO policy on photography other than no perverted picture taking, and now photography of behind the scenes stuff.

I should also be clear that this is a recent occurence, I believe sometime around September or October, and is the current policy. I plan on testing the heck out of this during DL5. As Twip (This Week in Photography) says "Photography is NOT a crime".
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

Gymfan15

Post by Gymfan15 » Jan Fri 30, 2009 7:43 pm

On Micechat they've said that most cameras are being let in now...it was a lot more strict back when the rule was new, but it's a lot more relaxed now. Wasn't the rule only against megazoom lenses? Regular cameras were fine, but not huge ones that could let you get very close images from far away. I think the rule was put in place because paparazzi were getting zoomed in shots of celebrities at DL.
- Spareoom.net

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Fri 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Len90 wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:I take RUM in a squeeze bottle I carry into the MK all the time and nobody has ever looked twice at me. Just think about it, if you can carry RUM, you can carry something flammable!

Jacca, to you also wear your eye patch when walking in?

As far as seriousness for the bag checks, my dad had no bags and was heading in. His cell phone holster was showing a little bit from under his shirt. A security guard with a dog happened to see this and made him lift his shirt to show it was a phone. I will say though that on this particular day, the security into the park was extra tight. They were thoroughly searching bags and there was also a polce car up front.
Of course I use caps for my RUM..It's a hearty good RUM ARG!! Now I only use the eye patch on one eye. I kept getting hurt the other way and my family complained about my driving ARG!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

aparadissis
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by aparadissis » Jan Fri 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Jacca5660, are you trying to become a CM for POTC, mehearty?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 12:30 am

elizabethswann wrote:
Len90 wrote:As far as seriousness for the bag checks, my dad had no bags and was heading in. His cell phone holster was showing a little bit from under his shirt. A security guard with a dog happened to see this and made him lift his shirt to show it was a phone. I will say though that on this particular day, the security into the park was extra tight. They were thoroughly searching bags and there was also a polce car up front.
There usually is a police cart there whenever I go though I never see the officers around. The only time I saw them was in Downtown Disney by the walkway entrance of the Grand Californian hotel near that one girly store.
Nah, the cops were hanging around the entrance way this time. It was also the first time I had seen a police car while walking into a theme park in WDW. I am used to seeing police cars around Downtown Disney, but never in front of MK along with a Disney security K-9 unit.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jan Sat 31, 2009 4:19 pm

My sister and I went to wdw a little more than a month after 9/11. they didn't do a thorough check of our bags and that kind of bothered us a bit. However they were checking baby strollars, that was kind of disconserting to say the least. You have to put yourself in there shoes, thats alot of people to search. I think as in most security checks when it comes to entertainment such as parks, concerts, sports complexes, they are hoping to deter people from trying anything. As we all know if someone truly wants to do harm to innocent people, they find a way. I think they need to stop the security checks, have some sort of invisible metal detectors as you go through the gate{not the kind at the airport that go off because of you car keys :) ), and I'm sure that they have cameras. They would post signs stating that these devices are in use, and we wouldn't have to go through those silly, time consuming searches anymore :goofy_bounce:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 4:51 pm

aparadissis wrote:

Jacca5660, are you trying to become a CM for POTC, mehearty?
I don't want to be a CM on POTC, I want to be a PIRATE on POTC. I promise everybody, I"LL CATCH THE REDHEAD and get the key...ARG!!

Gymfan15

Post by Gymfan15 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 5:05 pm

And get chased around by the woman with the broom? :lol:
- Spareoom.net

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 5:25 pm

Gymfan15 wrote:And get chased around by the woman with the broom? :lol:
You've met my DW? I get that at home from my DW...lol

Gymfan15

Post by Gymfan15 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 8:48 pm

No, I'm afraid I've never had the pleasure of meeting your DW. :lol: Let's just hope she doesn't post here! ;)
- Spareoom.net

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Sat 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Gymfan15 wrote:No, I'm afraid I've never had the pleasure of meeting your DW. :lol: Let's just hope she doesn't post here! ;)
She a MOD on one site and also post a lot on another. She has post numbers that are through the roof 10k plus, she been on one site since the mid 90's. Google Baloo as an image and she shows up one the first or second page. That's how much she's posted.