Security Bag Checks - what a waste

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jun Wed 04, 2008 10:05 pm

I think that this also may be a time thing - we normally always stay at the Boardwalk, and every time we enter Epcot through that back entrance (not too many people pass through there), my bags are ALWAYS checked more thoroughly than, say, at the entrance to MK.
Needless to say, I think that this year I am going to ditch the bookbag and just go in with my camera, room key, and a credit card so I don't have to stand in those lines to get my bag checked.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 04, 2008 10:34 pm

I always have the camera bag on me and I prefer that it gets checked thoroughly. Okay, so it might take me an extra few minutes, but it is for our safety.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Jul Tue 01, 2008 10:45 am

I've never understood needing to take a bag in the park anyway. I do understand if you have small children the need for various supplies, but I have seen people hauling backbacks that look like they are about to climb Mt Everest ( and I don't mean the one at AK). Our family never carries a bag and we get along fine.

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jul Tue 01, 2008 3:44 pm

i think it is good and bad. yes it takes a huge amount of time out of fun but lets look at the other side. in the past there has been some bomb threats and some crazy things happening at the park. mostly gang related violence. so since people have actually died getting shot and they have actually found a bomb under the disneyland railroad, i dont think it is all that bad even if they check your bags.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Tue 01, 2008 4:33 pm

HakuOni wrote:i think it is good and bad. yes it takes a huge amount of time out of fun but lets look at the other side. in the past there has been some bomb threats and some crazy things happening at the park. mostly gang related violence. so since people have actually died getting shot and they have actually found a bomb under the disneyland railroad, i dont think it is all that bad even if they check your bags.
Whoa, there was a bomb underneath the railroad? Is there an article or something that talks about that? I don't even remember hearing about that before.

piratepauly
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by piratepauly » Jul Thu 03, 2008 11:35 am

If they really wanted to have security, they should put in metal detectors like Magic Mountain does. However, this would take away from the "family" feel Disneyland has :wink:

I agree with the bag check being a joke. A few times they have actually looked inside my whole backpack and had me lift my shirt to show my belt. However, if I was to take something illegal into the park, i'd just hide it in my shoes :shock: I hope your letter does some good. Good luck :D

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » Jul Thu 03, 2008 11:44 am

piratepauly wrote:I agree with the bag check being a joke. A few times they have actually looked inside my whole backpack and had me lift my shirt to show my belt. However, if I was to take something illegal into the park, i'd just hide it in my shoes :shock: I hope your letter does some good. Good luck :D
Like I say (to myself) just about every time I walk into a Disney park: I'm a girl; I have better and stealthier places to hide weapons and explosives than in my purse. :shock:

aparadissis
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by aparadissis » Jan Thu 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Resurrecting a older thread...

Sometimes the search is not to discover what's in the bag as much as the response from the person. People with something to hide hesitate when asked to be searched.

Of course that's not to say that a crim isn't already aware of this and would hide things accordingly...

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Thu 29, 2009 11:26 pm

aparadissis wrote:Resurrecting a older thread...

Sometimes the search is not to discover what's in the bag as much as the response from the person. People with something to hide hesitate when asked to be searched.

Of course that's not to say that a crim isn't already aware of this and would hide things accordingly...
Hahaha crim, last time I heard that I was watching Top Gear. I don't get many Brits to speak to anymore (in person that is) they are all Americanized now.

Anywho, I know that it is becoming more and more difficult for Photographers in Disneyland now. Guests are not aloud to take cameras that look professional....who is to determine that? And Guests aren't allowed to bring lens' longer than 6" into the parks. I had to rethink my lens selection recently for future trips. This is all stupid because they are just trying to prevent paparazzi from going to the parks and taking pics of celebs, personally I couldn't care less if a celebrity is in the parks. They are people too, leave them be, the only celeb's I want to hassle are Subsonic and happyfunball.......they are gonna get it come DL5, hehe
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Jan Fri 30, 2009 1:32 am

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:
aparadissis wrote:Resurrecting a older thread...

Hahaha crim, last time I heard that I was watching Top Gear. I don't get many Brits to speak to anymore (in person that is) they are all Americanized now.

Anywho, I know that it is becoming more and more difficult for Photographers in Disneyland now. Guests are not aloud to take cameras that look professional....who is to determine that? And Guests aren't allowed to bring lens' longer than 6" into the parks. I had to rethink my lens selection recently for future trips. This is all stupid because they are just trying to prevent paparazzi from going to the parks and taking pics of celebs, personally I couldn't care less if a celebrity is in the parks. They are people too, leave them be, the only celeb's I want to hassle are Subsonic and happyfunball.......they are gonna get it come DL5, hehe
I would say that I would like to see what Mr. Subsonic looks like but I have added him on Facebook. However, if I was there, I'm sure I would be in awe of him and probably bug him for an autograph or something. That's what I did for the Disney guy Martin who creates awesome disney history videos (if you havent heard of him, you must research, hes amazing) but i would like to shake hands with subsonic for creating such a wonderful website!

Maybe someday when we have a WDW Subsonic Meetup!
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Fri 30, 2009 2:05 am

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Anywho, I know that it is becoming more and more difficult for Photographers in Disneyland now. Guests are not aloud to take cameras that look professional....who is to determine that? And Guests aren't allowed to bring lens' longer than 6" into the parks. I had to rethink my lens selection recently for future trips. This is all stupid because they are just trying to prevent paparazzi from going to the parks and taking pics of celebs, personally I couldn't care less if a celebrity is in the parks. They are people too, leave them be, the only celeb's I want to hassle are Subsonic and happyfunball.......they are gonna get it come DL5, hehe
Tell me how that goes. The only camera with me is my small digital camera but that's all I really bring with me. Since last December I've decided to stop bringing bags since there's no point in me carrying a purse the entire day.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Fri 30, 2009 2:15 am

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote: Anywho, I know that it is becoming more and more difficult for Photographers in Disneyland now. Guests are not aloud to take cameras that look professional....who is to determine that? And Guests aren't allowed to bring lens' longer than 6" into the parks. I had to rethink my lens selection recently for future trips. This is all stupid because they are just trying to prevent paparazzi from going to the parks and taking pics of celebs, personally I couldn't care less if a celebrity is in the parks. They are people too, leave them be, the only celeb's I want to hassle are Subsonic and happyfunball.......they are gonna get it come DL5, hehe
That just flat out sucks. We have a digital body and had no problems last year. We even used a long telephoto lens when we went to AK so we could get great pictures of the animals on the safari ride. It would be terrible if they didn't let you use your camera at WDW. Unless this is to plug the photopass service.

And if this is for the celebs., I think it is a disgrace since you are paying full price to get in and take in the sites and take pictures to have memories. I guess next they will prohibit you from taking pictures of Mickey and Minnie since they are celebrities around WDW. :roll:
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jan Fri 30, 2009 9:39 am

Len90 wrote:That just flat out sucks. We have a digital body and had no problems last year. We even used a long telephoto lens when we went to AK so we could get great pictures of the animals on the safari ride. It would be terrible if they didn't let you use your camera at WDW. Unless this is to plug the photopass service.

And if this is for the celebs., I think it is a disgrace since you are paying full price to get in and take in the sites and take pictures to have memories. I guess next they will prohibit you from taking pictures of Mickey and Minnie since they are celebrities around WDW. :roll:
I would assume this is more for DLR than WDW. The paparazzi aren't as big of a problem in Orlando as they are in Southern Cali. I wouldn't mind a celebrity being in the parks while I am there, I just want to know where they are so I can be on the other side, I figure more people are going to flock towards the celebrity.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Fri 30, 2009 10:25 am

I take RUM in a squeeze bottle I carry into the MK all the time and nobody has ever looked twice at me. Just think about it, if you can carry RUM, you can carry something flammable!

Check that...RUM is flammable.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jan Fri 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I take RUM in a squeeze bottle I carry into the MK all the time and nobody has ever looked twice at me. Just think about it, if you can carry RUM, you can carry something flammable!

Check that...RUM is flammable.
I like how you chose to use caps for RUM everytime :lol: Do you drink it on PotC?

You can pretty much bring anything into the park in any bottle so long as it's not say opaque brown in color in a Poland Springs bottle.