Security Bag Checks - what a waste

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Feb Wed 11, 2009 8:26 am

On the subject of safety and security, Jon Stewart said something very wise: The 9/11 attacks were carried out by 18 people. It's impossible to make things so secure that 18 crazy people somewhere in the world won't try something, unless you become North Korea. So, bag checks? Random security screenings? They'll only stop the stupid criminals. If an extremely determined, suicidal person really wants to hurt people, they'll find a way.

Funny story: my wife and I were married in late October 2001. Our honeymoon was at WDW, planned several months in advance. After 9/11, my dad tried to get me to change our plans, as if the attacks were carried out by The Legion of Supervillains and not 18 guys with box cutters and a death wish. I said to him "Dad, how is Disney World any less safe now than it was on September 10?" He didn't have an answer. Needless to say, we honeymooned at WDW, had a great time, and at no time were we attacked by Osama Bin Laden and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Feb Wed 11, 2009 9:24 am

I encountered a similar situation, but my trip was to NYC on October 19. I would have to say that was the worst flight I have ever taken, there is nothing like an airport full of National Guard with automatic rifles to make one feel safe. It was a bit of a comfort that security was doing "random" passenger searches; coincidentally every "random" search on my flight was of a non-white/black/asian passenger.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Wed 11, 2009 9:44 am

agingerbugg wrote:I encountered a similar situation, but my trip was to NYC on October 19. I would have to say that was the worst flight I have ever taken, there is nothing like an airport full of National Guard with automatic rifles to make one feel safe. It was a bit of a comfort that security was doing "random" passenger searches; coincidentally every "random" search on my flight was of a non-white/black/asian passenger.
A few years ago, right after 911, we had to go to NYC for family business. While there I took my family into Manhattan (the City for us New Yorkers), we never had to go through any security checks while there, but the last time I had seen that many weapons was when I was in the Navy. Between all the armed guards outside the buildings with 9mm hand guns and the NYPD special force with automatic weapons slug over their shoulders. Well lets say I've never felt that safe in my life.

Side note: Having grown up in Brooklyn (read Coney Island) during the 60's and 70's, I was very proud of my city. It was like being at Disney. People were so nice it just was unbelievable. They were so helpful. While on the Staten Island ferry a guy came up to us and explained the history of all the building on the Brooklyn side of the river. He told about things I didn't even know. He wouldn't even let me buy him a beer, he just liked helping tourist. Who knew I was a tourist? It was like that no matter where we went.

We did have to go through one security check at the American Museum of Natural History. That security check rivaled anything you would get at an airport. I think since this has gone on and our government has had to get more restrictive, we as a people have come to appreciate our freedoms and each other more. We realize we are all in this together.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Thu 12, 2009 4:20 am

Jacca5660 wrote:Question? Would you walk from say Kenny's Alley to Auburn Ave. after dark?
I don't have any idea where those places are, so I'm gonna say no. :lol: I don't go downtown particularly often (assuming that's somewhere down there?). The part I said about the rental car and the airport though; that was based on personal experience. The whole SW side of the city is disturbing.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Thu 12, 2009 6:27 am

DisBeamer wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:Question? Would you walk from say Kenny's Alley to Auburn Ave. after dark?
I don't have any idea where those places are, so I'm gonna say no. :lol: I don't go downtown particularly often (assuming that's somewhere down there?). The part I said about the rental car and the airport though; that was based on personal experience. The whole SW side of the city is disturbing.
I lived in Atlanta from 1990 till 2001. I know one of my first experiences there was on my honey moon (1988). We were walking from Underground Atlanta to our hotel and an out of service city buss (it was after hours for them) stopped, the driver told us to get in. He said it was to dangerous for us to be walking at that time of night. He drove us to our hotel. Yes, downtown Atlanta is not a safe place.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Thu 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Jacca5660 wrote: I lived in Atlanta from 1990 till 2001. I know one of my first experiences there was on my honey moon (1988). We were walking from Underground Atlanta to our hotel and an out of service city buss (it was after hours for them) stopped, the driver told us to get in. He said it was to dangerous for us to be walking at that time of night. He drove us to our hotel. Yes, downtown Atlanta is not a safe place.
Well, to be fair, I never said it was (at least, not at night). :lol: I still think the aquarium and world of Coke have overblown security to make people feel better that probably serves no real purpose (a la Disney; the source of my original comment). I've been to both places and through security several times, have never seen anyone being relieved of a weapon, and doubt there are lil' bangers sitting in their bad guy club houses talking about going down to bust a cap in the sea lions. Neither place is open at night, nor do they have multiple entries/open to all like city streets. Comparing the two is really apples and oranges.

With the possible exception of preventing accidents, I don't think bag check makes Disney (or the aquarium, or world of coke or probably dozens of other places) any safer than they ever were. Sadly, I also don't think said bag checks'll be going anywhere anytime soon, because they're designed to cater to public perception, which has been warped by (nearly) a decade of this climate of fear.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Thu 12, 2009 7:58 pm

Don't you mean 8 years of fear this, so we can take away your hard fought freedoms.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Thu 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Don't you mean 8 years of fear this, so we can take away your hard fought freedoms.
Well put; I totally agree.
~ Caroline

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Feb Fri 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Don't you mean 8 years of fear this, so we can take away your hard fought freedoms.
DisBeamer wrote: Well put; I totally agree.
Alright lets not get political here. Back to the topic "Security Bag Checks - a waste of time" I was just in Disneyland this past weekend and I have to say that the checks were pointless. It was raining the entire time so most people stayed away from the parks for the entire time, but for those of us that ventured in the "security" check wasn't that secure. When I got to the check they barely looked into my bag, and I had a large bag with lots of stuff. What is to say that I didn't have a knife or a gun in it? Seriously!! I could have walked in with an assault rifle for the way I was checked.....I understand that it was raining and they didn't want to be out in it but that is no reason to basically wave people through.

On the other hand it was nice to be able to just breeze through the check.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

aparadissis
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by aparadissis » Feb Fri 13, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm getting forgetful. Are there metal detectors at the gates too? If not, then wouldn't a weapon on your person evade the bag check concept?

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Fri 13, 2009 10:08 pm

aparadissis wrote:I'm getting forgetful. Are there metal detectors at the gates too? If not, then wouldn't a weapon on your person evade the bag check concept?
Nope, there's no metal detectors there sadly. I think it'd be better that way even if it will hold up a line.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Sat 14, 2009 4:51 am

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Alright lets not get political here. Back to the topic "Security Bag Checks - a waste of time"
It is a political issue if you really want to discuss it, though, isn't it? Because at the core it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with perception, and how perception of what is okay/reasonable/expected changed after Sept 11. I think it's interesting to examine how world politics impact escapist Disney parks. (Though for what it's worth, the 8 years - to me, anyway - was refering to 2009-2001 = 8, not a political term of office. I'm Canadian; elect whoever you want to here. ;) )

In any case, I don't think it's something Disney is doing because Disney feels its parks are unsafe, or because they think bag check does anything to promote safety. I think it's something Disney is doing because they figure the public expects it (or, rather, has been trained to). As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, including by you in the rest of that post I'm quoting, the bag checks don't do anything to make the parks safer. All they impact is perception of safety, with the exception of the tiny percentage of old ladies who forget they have a handgun in their bag. That is indeed a 'political' move on their part. If you really think about it, is there really anything to fear in the parks that will be eliminated by having someone take a peek in your bag (or anyone's), or are we just largely conditioned to think there might be nowadays? I think that's definitely germane to the topic...

Though I'll concede the freedoms bit (while I do think it's an invasion of privacy to have some Disney security guy poking through my stuff for no reason), is hot button and will leave it out of further discussion.
~ Caroline

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Sat 14, 2009 5:44 am

DisBeamer wrote:
Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Alright lets not get political here. Back to the topic "Security Bag Checks - a waste of time"
It is a political issue if you really want to discuss it, though, isn't it? Because at the core it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with perception, and how perception of what is okay/reasonable/expected changed after Sept 11. I think it's interesting to examine how world politics impact escapist Disney parks. (Though for what it's worth, the 8 years - to me, anyway - was refering to 2009-2001 = 8, not a political term of office. I'm Canadian; elect whoever you want to here. ;) )

In any case, I don't think it's something Disney is doing because Disney feels its parks are unsafe, or because they think bag check does anything to promote safety. I think it's something Disney is doing because they figure the public expects it (or, rather, has been trained to). As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, including by you in the rest of that post I'm quoting, the bag checks don't do anything to make the parks safer. All they impact is perception of safety, with the exception of the tiny percentage of old ladies who forget they have a handgun in their bag. That is indeed a 'political' move on their part. If you really think about it, is there really anything to fear in the parks that will be eliminated by having someone take a peek in your bag (or anyone's), or are we just largely conditioned to think there might be nowadays? I think that's definitely germane to the topic...

Though I'll concede the freedoms bit (while I do think it's an invasion of privacy to have some Disney security guy poking through my stuff for no reason), is hot button and will leave it out of further discussion.
DisBeamer has hit the nail on the head about the security check points being fluff! They are just part of the show. To be honest. MINE WAS A POLITICAL STATEMENT. I'll play nice and check myself in future discussions, unless provoked. Sorry that's the best I can promise. Just wanted to be honest. :oops: :roll: :shock:

cinderella75
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cinderella75 » Apr Tue 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Security Bag Checks not a waste :ccat: at least disney is trying to keep everybody safe :goofy_bounce: like families and workers :figment: you hear alot of horrible stuff happening around the world :( so Security is WELCOMED :wave:
When you BELIEVE and have FAITH, WISHES and DREAMS do come TRUE :-)

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Apr Tue 28, 2009 7:31 pm

cinderella75 wrote:Security Bag Checks not a waste :ccat: at least disney is trying to keep everybody safe :goofy_bounce: like families and workers :figment: you hear alot of horrible stuff happening around the world :( so Security is WELCOMED :wave:
My eyes could use some protection from the excessive use of smilies!