Disney's America

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Wed 05, 2007 12:37 am

rmorton50 wrote:I'll bet Disney would put 1000% more effort into interpreting history than any other Hollywood movie studio would. You can't get any two or three historians to agree about what effect any action has had on our great country. I'll bet Oklahoma City would love to have the park. There's plenty of land here, good people with friendly faces and good work ethic; patriotic people who appreciate what a blessing it is to have land aplenty, clean air, and a great climate that allows nearly year round operation. I'd quit my job and go to work there in a second.
you're just touting OK cause it's close to home, aren't ya? :lol: :D
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Sep Wed 05, 2007 5:45 am

rmorton50 wrote: I'd quit my job and go to work there in a second.
That is how a lot of people in Northern VA felt when this annoucement was originally made. Alas. :(
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

billville
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by billville » Sep Fri 07, 2007 12:18 pm

I found this on wikipedia. This article says something a little different about the location of where Disney's America was going to be located. According to this article, they were also seeking out buying Knotts Berry Farm for the location of Disney's America. One of the main reasons they say is because of the replica of Independence Hall at Knoots Berry Farm has. They were going to turn this into a Liberty Square type deal like the one at WDW.

Check out the article..this one also has concept art of the area as well.

Wikipedia entry for Disney's America

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Fri 07, 2007 10:13 pm

I don't believe anything on Wikipedia, myself. I see way too many incorrect facts on there to be a reliable source for information. in fact, we have a thread somewhere here about how bad Wiki can really be. I distrust it for the simple fact that all the articles/facts are written can be written by any doofus with a computer...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Sep Sat 08, 2007 5:52 am

Absoultely agree about Wiki. I lived in Northern VA when the whole Disney's America annoucement and subsequent pull out occurred. It was very much always going there.

Really a shame it never materialized. :(
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

Hypermommy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Hypermommy » Sep Sun 09, 2007 10:48 am

I vaguely remember the whole brewhaha... what were the exact objections?
[color=purple][size=117][b]Hypermommy[/b][/size][/color]

blinkereye123
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by blinkereye123 » Sep Tue 11, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi folks. As far as I'm concerned I always felt the Disney's America idea had its merits as well as its drawbacks. Although I should tell you that I find any idea for a Disney park anywhere a good idea just because it proves that there IS imagination left in the world. When it comes to DA and the company's commitment to entertaining and educating I don't think that there is anything wrong with trying to do both as long as there is enough respect on both sides of the issue; meaning that if you are trying to do both you at least make your ideas have substance. The only real reason I can see that DA never got built was simply Mr. E. and others simply can't take NO for an answer, and hate to lose, but the same could be said for alot of people, even ones I know personally. But, when all is said and done just the fact that for a brief, shining moment Disney was willing to take a chance on a new and different concept for its theme parks proves that there may be hope for the future; especially now that the regime has changed. Let's keep hoping. Until later, peace.