The Matterhorm vs Expedition Everest

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Everest

Post by DaRkNeSs » Apr Mon 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Everest! my parents have been to DL! They agree everest better! Smoother and better efxs!
:figment::donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sun 27, 2009 12:30 am

Everest is amazing (I haven't ridden Mattherhorn), but only in short amounts. Unlike RnRC, which I have ridden 10+ times in a row, I can do EE only about twice before I get to feeling ill (3 times is pushing it). I don't personally think Everest is very smooth and going backwards is a bit disorienting and quite rough! :shock:

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Oct Thu 01, 2009 11:04 am

As previously stated they draw comparisons in that:
A) they are both steel coasters;
B) both snow covered mountain themed; and
C) they include yeti/abominable snowman (depending on which you ride) figures.

The comparisons largely end there for me. It's a fair comparison in one way because those 3 previously stated facts are pretty big, and in the case of the latter two, unique features to a ride. However, one the other hand it's an entirely unfair question to me for the following reasons:

It's asking about one of the most modern steel coasters in the world to be compared to the pioneering, first ever steel coaster in the world. I'm sure the intent was the same when both rides were developed- to thrill and entertain guests, but the technologies used on both are decades apart and decades in this age is a huge, huge difference. Consider the fact that computers commercially available at the time of the release of EE as laptops are more powerful than many computers which required an entire room's worth of space at the time the Matterhorn was introduced.

With that being said I have a problem with this statement:
HauntedMansion74 wrote:and it is a newer ride so it would probably be better!
I would argue that Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion, rides with a considerable age to them, are far superior to countless, if not all, other rides produced since their introduction. Technology IS a factor and as such age has to be as well, but I don't think it's possible to draw a conclusion that Ride A, being created X many years before Ride B, automatically draws the inference that Ride B is superior to Ride A.

Which brings me to my final point of what I deem to be the unfairness of the question posed. It is asking us to compare a modern technological wonder to an enduring classic and pioneer. This isn't like "Which version of Tower of Terror do you prefer?" I don't think things like childhood memories can have a value applied to them.

However, people can certainly decide they prefer the Matterhorn over Everest and vice versa, so in that respect I suppose, while I still have reservations of how fair a question it is, it is a fair question.

In my book they're both fun rides, both will presumably continue to endure at their respective parks for years and continue to entertain, and both perform wonderfully for serving their purpose.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Thu 01, 2009 11:57 am

It may be unfair, but do you like one better? I grew up on the Cyclone and love it (I'm born and raised in Coney Island), But I enjoy R&R a lot more.
Last edited by Jacca5660 on Oct Fri 02, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Oct Fri 02, 2009 7:55 am

Jacca5660 wrote:It may be unfair, but do you like one better? I grew up on the Cyclone and love it (I'm born and raised in Coney Island), But I enjoy R&R a lot more.
But the question wasn't really "Which one do you prefer?" it was to compare the two coasters. I would actually argue a "Which do you prefer" question is a fairer question than comparing the two.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Fri 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:It may be unfair, but do you like one better? I grew up on the Cyclone and love it (I'm born and raised in Coney Island), But I enjoy R&R a lot more.
But the question wasn't really "Which one do you prefer?" it was to compare the two coasters. I would actually argue a "Which do you prefer" question is a fairer question than comparing the two.
True, I guess, I read something else into it.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MomPaula
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Location: The mountains-no not the Disney ones, unfortunately.

Post by MomPaula » Oct Wed 07, 2009 9:48 am

I prefer the Matterhorn. Everest scared me a little too much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's kind of fun to do the impossible. ~ Walt Disney

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1291445988.png[/img]

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by keneka » Nov Sat 14, 2009 7:31 am

everest - no question! :mrgreen: