The Matterhorm vs Expedition Everest

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Wed 10, 2007 8:22 pm

I dont recall seeing the handrails when we were there, though I was driving that day so I couldn;t take a really good look at it...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

MansionButler
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by MansionButler » Jan Thu 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:Here's a picture of it I found at imagineerebirth.blogspot.com
It only shows the upper portion of the mountain, but you can kind of get an idea of how "un-disney" the backside looks

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3501 ... _3_web.jpg
I've never seen that angle in my life. What you can see from the approach is much less glaring.

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Jan Fri 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Just give it a few years.... The trees will eventuall hide that ugly siding. :)
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Mon 15, 2007 12:13 pm

I got back from WDW last week. I have to say EE is a wonderful attraction. It was the best ride between DLR and WDW. Though, it's hard to compare to Mission:SPACE which I loved just as much. Mission:SPACE is a different feeling I've never felt before with blast off.

But, EE blows away Matterhorn :) Matterhorn is just old
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

MansionButler

Post by MansionButler » Jan Fri 19, 2007 6:48 pm

bdinger wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:Here's a picture of it I found at imagineerebirth.blogspot.com
It only shows the upper portion of the mountain, but you can kind of get an idea of how "un-disney" the backside looks

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3501 ... _3_web.jpg
That's pretty funny! I guess they figured no one would normally see it. It reminds me of our local amusement park... They have a river rapids ride that passes through a canyon. A local street drives right behind the canyon, and for years the backside was exposed. It kind of looked like the back of Catastrophe Canyon. They've since closed it off as the park expanded. I wonder if that's what Disney has in mind? Does anyone know if any of their other "mountains" are like this?
There are many indications that lead to a larger mountain range and facade. There are some images around that are supposed to match the view of the Forbidden Mountain that are missing a peak or two as forced perspective and there is a larger "range" in alot of the concept art. In addition, I noticed slightly more being added to the facade from when I first went during the cast preview and then when it had the soft opening.

thsawrp
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by thsawrp » Apr Mon 30, 2007 3:54 pm

I think they are pretty hard to compair. Matterhorn is 40 years behind Expedition Everest. Of course for todays standerds Everest is amazing top of the line craftmen ship the best of the best! But for 1959 the Matterhorn was the top of the line best of the best craftmen ship. I think the its unfair to compair the two its apples and oranges. But for my money you cant beat the classic Matterhorn all the way :mickey:

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Tue 01, 2007 10:29 am

If I had to pick one to ride over and over again it would definitely be EE. My wife doesn't like Matterhorn because the ride is so bumpy. I couldn't imagine that over and over again.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

jenjolt
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenjolt » Feb Fri 27, 2009 12:05 pm

Okay I didn't even know anything about the Matterhorn until I youtubed it the other day and the first thing I said was HEY EE is a ripoff of that LOL!! Well its a very classy and well done ripoff of that ride LOL!! My friend had a good laugh over that!! I actually have never been to DL so for now my preference lies with EE!!
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/haunted-mansion1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/great-movie-ride2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/epcot2.gif[/img]

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Fri 27, 2009 8:01 pm

jenjolt wrote:Okay I didn't even know anything about the Matterhorn until I youtubed it the other day and the first thing I said was HEY EE is a ripoff of that LOL!! Well its a very classy and well done ripoff of that ride LOL!! My friend had a good laugh over that!! I actually have never been to DL so for now my preference lies with EE!!
I wouldn't necessary say it's a ripoff of the Matterhorn. That's their own version of the Matterhorn. They could have cloned it but I think they did a nice job with EE.

js3901

Post by js3901 » Feb Fri 27, 2009 10:48 pm

elizabethswann wrote:
jenjolt wrote:Okay I didn't even know anything about the Matterhorn until I youtubed it the other day and the first thing I said was HEY EE is a ripoff of that LOL!! Well its a very classy and well done ripoff of that ride LOL!! My friend had a good laugh over that!! I actually have never been to DL so for now my preference lies with EE!!
I wouldn't necessary say it's a ripoff of the Matterhorn. That's their own version of the Matterhorn. They could have cloned it but I think they did a nice job with EE.
if anything, Expedition Everest would be the rip-off of the Matterhorn. the Matterhorn was in Disneyland before Walt Disney World was built.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Mon 02, 2009 8:14 pm

You have to give some love to the Matterhorn. It was the first tube steel coaster ever built and Walt got Roy to go to Europe so he get construction start on it. Roy didn't think they should spend the money on the Matterhorn until a few years after they opened, by time he got back from Europe construction was to far along to stop it.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Sat 11, 2009 7:12 am

MansionButler wrote:
I think most people compare the two on the grounds that they both have snow and a hidden furry monster.
I agree. Apples to oranges and I love both fruit.

keneka

Post by keneka » Apr Sat 18, 2009 4:21 am

hands down everest. matterhorn is bumpy and alot smaller. everest is smooth on the rails, exciting and full of thrills

HauntedMansion74
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by HauntedMansion74 » Apr Mon 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Well Ive never been to DL but it would have to be fantastic to beat out Everest! It is awesome and fast! and it is a newer ride so it would probably be better!
Who is the fairest in the land! Snow White is the fairest in the land!! We all have something great to add to the world which makes us all the fairest in the land!!!

HauntedMansion74

Post by HauntedMansion74 » Apr Mon 27, 2009 1:30 pm

IVe never been to DL but I would say that the mattahorn would have to be awesome to beat out Everest! Everest is fast and awesome! Plus newer which is usually better in most cases!
Who is the fairest in the land! Snow White is the fairest in the land!! We all have something great to add to the world which makes us all the fairest in the land!!!