becoming a CM - help/suggestions needed

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Moviemaker137
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

becoming a CM - help/suggestions needed

Post by Moviemaker137 » Oct Wed 25, 2006 6:34 pm

I was just talking about becomeing a Disney CM for Disneyland with my family... anybody know what type of training and experience I would need for such a job? I really think that working at Disneyland would be a great job and I just thought that someone on the forum could tell me how difficult the process is and if it was worth it before I make a decision.

MM137 :mickey:

e3751
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by e3751 » Oct Thu 26, 2006 12:08 am

Just remember, when i worked thier, thay payed min wage, i was in custodial, but you you can apply for other jobs with in, because they are posted at the lockers....

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Oct Thu 26, 2006 12:38 am

Be careful out in Disneyland I have heard many things about it not being a good experience if you like Disney, anymore. It used to be but lately it has become an unhappy place to work. I'm not trying to scare you but I am trying to lower your expectations, for a good reason, if you go in all bright eyed and bushy tailed you may get a smack in the face by reality.

I have often thought of getting a job as a CM in DL or WDW but after talking with countless CM's, as of late, I am holding off on a career change. My suggestion is talk to as many of the CMs as you can so you get a better picture of how it will be. Make sure to diversify too, meaning talk to CMs that have been there for a while and for a short time. Do the CMs still have the year in which they got hired on their badges or was that only a Happiest Celebration thing?

Also what field of work would you be interested in? You could go the traditional custodial, ride op, food service, or transportation. You could also step it up a notch and apply for a conductor, engineer, or guest relations. Or you could really step it up a notch to at least make an attempt at a character. I have been told by so many CMs to at least try for a character because pay is great and they train you too, you just have to be happy all the time.

And anyone who wants to try to put holes in this, please do I really need to change jobs right now and I could use the advice too.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

Moviemaker137
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Moviemaker137 » Oct Thu 26, 2006 1:20 am

Thanks guys that gives me a lot of info so for now I think Ill hold off till I can go to DL enough and talk to enough CM's before making a final decision... besides I still live in Washington right now and it'll be a while till I can get down there permanent for the job anyways... but I like the sound of character or ride opp... maybe even guest relations services cause I have to go visit them all the time when I go to DL. Well I'm off any more advice is more that thoroughly accepted so keep it coming :)

MM137 :mickey:

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Oct Thu 26, 2006 2:05 am

I was only a CP for a short while(at WDW), but I got to know a lot of full-timers. Some truly enjoy their jobs, but many do not. One of them said to me that he will never ever exeperience an attraction unless he was forced. This makes sense because why would you want to do something slightly job related in your free time? Maybe for the first year or two it would be cool, but imagine the same job everyday for the rest of your life if you don't move up or change roles.

There are many factors to take in, like position, pay, benefits etc... During my 5 month stay, 2 people quit(to work at wal-mart), and 3 people were terminated. And lots of people sign up for extra hours to earn extra money. Granted, I'm only talking about the easy entry level jobs that anyone can get. And by anyone, I mean anyone(even people who can't grasp 3+4=7- true story).

Also, without a doubt, your image of Disney will change. You will see the less than glamorous and downright dirty side of the company. You may even grow resentful of it because of the way it treats its workers, or by just the workers themselves. But from my experience, Disney does a lot for its workers. Afterall, happy workers means happy guests or something like that.

My manager told me she got to her position by just keeping at it. She has done all sorts of roles and at different places in Disney. She started at the bottom as well. Another thing she said to me(and everyone else), was that she isn't there for the money.

Not sure what my point is, but if you want to work at Disney- don't do it for the money. One thing that stuck with me was learning about your "role" and your "purpose". Your role is the job you are given, but your purpose is to ensure that everyone who enters the park will have the best experience of their life...or something inspiring like that, lol. So I think if you can keep that in your mind, life at Disney will have more meaning. Er yeah.

Also, there is a site you can go to check out for job openings. But I think you have to apply to a role at the casting center.

Edit: wow, that is a long dang ramble, sorry!
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

kronk's angel
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by kronk's angel » Oct Thu 26, 2006 8:17 am

Good, informative post Lion. I had considered working there, and passed after researching it.

It confirms what I'd heard/read that, unless you were a character/dancer, working there was not particularly "magical." Very busy all day, and quite challenging without being necessarily fulfilling, at least for many.

Even characters had it rough, I understand. I remember an article in the L.A. Weekly back in the 80s, sort of an expose that become kind of famous, where a guy who worked there told about the highly-stressed guests, conspiratorial bosses, and many, many rules, some which seemed a little bizarre. All for a purpose, but the "kicker" was the abuse characters received.

Apparently, before characters had un-costumed CMs as caretakers, a lot of people had a strange complusion to hit or kicked characters, who of course couldn't respond. Especially Dopey. The last straw that changed the policy was when Dopey got thrown off the bridge into Cinderellas moat by a bunchy of teenagers and almost drowned due to the weight of the costume. :?: :!:

Plus, there's the commute. :)

Then again, Disney could always use another Maynard Smith ( http://tinyurl.com/yy4vm5 ), and if you're it, and would love the challenge... don't let anyone discourage you!
No, no... He's got a point.

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Oct Thu 26, 2006 9:10 am

I have a friend that went through the college program, You dont work there for the money and you do see the bad side of things; look at Andys posts about being a CM, My friend had a good time but she was only there for 5 months, not working there for years. I work at a hotel and I get to see how things are, like functions, people pay $45 for a gallon of punch $27 for a plate of food that I would not pay more then 8 for.

Moviemaker137
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Moviemaker137 » Oct Thu 26, 2006 11:45 am

WOW... ok well that has DEFINITELY enlightened me guys I thank you for all of that cause now I can say I would rather just visit than be a part of it... I still might check it out... but now I'm not so sure. But thanks again.

MM137

csquare77

Post by csquare77 » Oct Thu 26, 2006 1:10 pm

Yes a place to visit and not work at, I see the whole state of Florida that way.

Moviemaker137
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Moviemaker137 » Oct Thu 26, 2006 1:27 pm

LOL oh Florida... how I do miss WDW... *memories*

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Nov Sun 05, 2006 2:59 pm

There was another topic about suggestions on getting hired but I can't find it.

As far as working there, Disney doesn't take care of their employees like they used to. The turnaround is at an all time high. The moral is down, CMs aren't interested in Canoe races nor Minnie's Moonlight Madness anymore. It's really sad. When I worked there things were just starting to get worse. Management was hired from retail stores and not from within. It really showed when managers would support guests more than CMs. Pay isn't high enough either.

I really did enjoy working there, I would have sayed if there was more money in it. I was an RO and glad that I was.

If you do plan on applying, always state you can work full time. The recruiters don't talk to the schedulers. Once you're hired you can tell the schedules the schedule you want. But holidays and summer expect to work full time.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Nov Sun 05, 2006 3:13 pm

Maybe I missed it somewhere along the way here, but what's an RO?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Nov Sun 05, 2006 3:38 pm

Ride Operator
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

csquare77

Post by csquare77 » Nov Sun 05, 2006 9:21 pm

The one thing that would be cool to do, but might become booring is monorail RO.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Nov Thu 09, 2006 2:09 pm

I'm going to apply for the Disney College Program next spring for the Fall of 2007 and It's good to hear the GOOD and the BAD of working at Disney. I'm sure it's different for the college programs since its only temporary but working full-time can be hard I'm sure.

Any more stories would be nice from former cast members :)
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.