Disneyland or Walt Disney World (Where to vacation)

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Oct Thu 26, 2006 9:11 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Off-season makes a world of difference.
Yes yes! It totally does! Get the kids out of school for a week, (Just make sure they get their homework from their teachers) and go off season! You can do so much more without so much waiting! I thought the best week was in early Sept..after labor day (but it rains a lot) So early oct is pretty great too! It's still warm enough to wear shorts and do the water parks too! If you're looking more for the spring season, I would suggest the 1st week of May. Most kids are back in school (after April Vacation) and college spring break is over (They're studying for Finals!)!

:)
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

soccermouse
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Soap Box

Post by soccermouse » Oct Thu 26, 2006 9:58 am

knedeau wrote:
Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Off-season makes a world of difference.
Yes yes! It totally does! Get the kids out of school for a week, (Just make sure they get their homework from their teachers) and go off season!
Sorry to get on my soap box, but as a teacher who really cares about student learning (including that of my 4 kids), I cannot recommend doing this. It is the VERY RARE student that can miss more than a day or two and EVER really catch up. I tried it for just two days last year and my 3.5 GPA kids never recovered. It might be a little easier for elementary students, but not junior and senior high kids.

Obviously as a teacher, it is also hard for me to miss that much (lesson plans for an untrained sub are much more work than just being there). I would love to go off season, but for me it is not possible.

Thanks for all the input so far. We are leaning heavily toward WDW after what you have said.

kronk's angel
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by kronk's angel » Oct Thu 26, 2006 10:14 am

One more reason we homeschool. :wink:

Understood about maintaining seat time (many years in education myself), but boy, we went once in February during a "cold" snap (relatively speaking, for Florida) and just walked on everything all day. It was marvelous!
No, no... He's got a point.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Oct Thu 26, 2006 11:37 am

Oh, but another thing about off season is that a lot of attractions are in refurb. It's a real killjoy.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

soccermouse

Post by soccermouse » Oct Thu 26, 2006 11:53 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Oh, but another thing about off season is that a lot of attractions are in refurb. It's a real killjoy.
You said it! Disneyland was not the same for us two weeks ago with Autopia down. Scream'n was also down until our last day.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Oct Thu 26, 2006 12:28 pm

Yeah, next time we go (Dec) Matterhorn will be down for rehab. Oh well, luckily we go once-twice a year and the Matterhorn will be there next time (still a bummer though)
~Steve

soccermouse

Post by soccermouse » Oct Fri 27, 2006 11:03 am

spaulo wrote:Yeah, next time we go (Dec) Matterhorn will be down for rehab. Oh well, luckily we go once-twice a year and the Matterhorn will be there next time (still a bummer though)
O yeah, the Matterhorn was down also.

soccermouse

It looks like WDW is the winner

Post by soccermouse » Nov Thu 02, 2006 5:36 pm

Thanks for all your help. We put in for our timeshare in June. Grandma did not want us driving from Utah, so our airfare is covered. All to do now is buy the tickets. Anyway to get discounts?

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Thu 02, 2006 7:31 pm

definately book the tickets ASAP to get automatic discounts (as opposed to getting them at the parks). I don't think you can get discounts on just tickets from like AAA or anything. I believe to get those, you need to book the room as well. you may also want to try the Disney Store (if you have one in your area). I know they sell tickets, but not sure on the discounts..
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

soccermouse

Post by soccermouse » Nov Fri 03, 2006 11:07 am

js3901 wrote:you may also want to try the Disney Store (if you have one in your area). I know they sell tickets, but not sure on the discounts..
Unfortunately they closed all three of Utah's Disney Stores a few years ago. With all the families and Disney freeks here, it made no sense to me.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Nov Fri 03, 2006 11:49 am

Discounts on tickets?

Look no further than MouseSavers

(oughta call it Life Savers, because it is! But that's probably some kind of copyright issue)
~Steve

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Nov Fri 03, 2006 1:38 pm

I am always partial to DL because that is the park I grew up going to. But since you have already been there, WDW would be more of a "vacation" type atmosphere, because the parks are spread out and you need more than just a few days to see everything. So as much as I hate to vote against my fav park I will say WDW for ya'
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Disneys America
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Disneys America » Nov Mon 06, 2006 3:46 pm

If you've never been to WDW you've got to go there. With the pricing structure on the tickets and you bringing your own food you may be able to do more days than you think.

meticulus9

Post by meticulus9 » Nov Thu 09, 2006 7:33 pm

while i love wdw, and never been to disneyland....here is my 2 cents

wdw has some unique parks (AK, EP)....

i would love to see the land since Pirates is better and has some diff attractions, but i would say see the world....

knedeau

Re: It looks like WDW is the winner

Post by knedeau » Nov Fri 10, 2006 12:31 pm

soccermouse wrote:Thanks for all your help. We put in for our timeshare in June. Grandma did not want us driving from Utah, so our airfare is covered. All to do now is buy the tickets. Anyway to get discounts?
CONTACT YOUR AAA TRAVEL AGENT!
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"