Disneyland or Walt Disney World (Where to vacation)

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

soccermouse
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Disneyland or Walt Disney World (Where to vacation)

Post by soccermouse » Oct Fri 20, 2006 1:18 pm

Hello everyone,

My family has a tough decision to make. We are trying to decide how to spend our vacation money for next year. We figure that one 6-7 day trip to Walt Disney World would cost about the same as our usual 3 trips to Disneyland for a combined 15-20 days with Deluxe Annual Passes. We always go bare-bones, cheapest hotels, bring much of our own food and we drive.

What would you do?

kronk's angel
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by kronk's angel » Oct Sun 22, 2006 2:11 am

For me, I'd say DisneyWORLD -- no contest.

For cheapo accomodations, we stayed at Magic Castle Inn & Suites - magicorlando.com - and we lived to tell the tale. Kind of run down (at the time), but fine for us.
No, no... He's got a point.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Oct Sun 22, 2006 8:43 pm

I'd say WDW. more to do with the 4 parks, DTD, waterparks, etc.

as far as places to stay - we found a couple of Days Inns in the Kissimmee area that were really cheap. they had free continental breakfast and a free shuttle to area parks. you have to be up around 6:30 or 7:00 cause they leave at like 7:30 or 8:00. they also stop at a few other hotels and pick up people, and depending on the season, it may be standing room only.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Oct Mon 23, 2006 12:02 pm

Yes WDW, There is a Hampton Inn close too, we stayed at awhile back, and that was close and very nice.

ambiguity123
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by ambiguity123 » Oct Mon 23, 2006 9:45 pm

Wow, that is a tough choice!

I would probably say WDW, although I would still suggest staying on property at one of the value resorts, even if you have to drop a day. Reason being that it is far less stressful. I've done both and I definitely prefer on property.

However, if you go to DL and can go more times, that is really tempting too!

Have fun whatever you decide!
DisneyBakers

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Oct Tue 24, 2006 10:37 am

I only go to Disneyland because I live near it. If I was in the middle of the country and had to pick between the parks, I would visit WDW.

It's so simple, there's more to do at WDW and you're encompased IN Disney, it's not in an ugly city.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Oct Tue 24, 2006 10:42 am

I would say WDW.. more to do and see.

but I am biased.... never been to Disneyland....

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Oct Tue 24, 2006 10:48 am

I've been to both. Disneyland resort is a 3 day park, 2 at Disneyland, and 1 at DCA. WDW is more like a 6 day park. 1.5 at MK, 2 at Epcot, 1 at MGM, .5 at AK. Of course, these times may vary depending on your tastes, let's not turn this thread into a "how many days should I stay at the parks?" I'm just giving a comparison.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Oct Tue 24, 2006 12:11 pm

I've never been to DL, only to WDW... But I would think that there is more to do in the World than in the Land. (4 parks, DTD, and all the resorts) :) Plus (God forbid I'm actually saying this) if you don't want to do Disney the whole time you're there (like I usually do), there is also Universal (IOA), and Seaworld close by too. Busch Gardens and Datona beach are only 1 hr drive as from orlando (opposite directions) as well!

:)
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

bbowen13
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by bbowen13 » Oct Tue 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Disney World, 4 parks, 2 water parks. I have never been to Disneyland so I am biased as well.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Oct Wed 25, 2006 10:39 am

knedeau wrote:I've never been to DL, only to WDW... But I would think that there is more to do in the World than in the Land. (4 parks, DTD, and all the resorts) :) Plus (God forbid I'm actually saying this) if you don't want to do Disney the whole time you're there (like I usually do), there is also Universal (IOA), and Seaworld close by too. Busch Gardens and Datona beach are only 1 hr drive as from orlando (opposite directions) as well!

:)
WHOOOOP WHOOOOPPPP knedeau said the forbidden word!! UNIVERSAL....

:lol:

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

knedeau

Post by knedeau » Oct Wed 25, 2006 1:44 pm

::looks around guility::: Really! It wasn't me!

;)
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

Moviemaker137
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Moviemaker137 » Oct Wed 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Well I am a fan of both parks it really depends on what you want to do really... judging by what you say about how many times you have gone to Disneyland though I 'd take the WDW route. I haven't been there since I was like 10 but still if you want memories that last in some place new :) WDW's the place to do it. Although I find I can never complete all of WDW no matter how much vacation time I have. There are just too many parks to choose from :? :lol:

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Oct Wed 25, 2006 7:28 pm

I agree with what everyone says here. Visit WDW for those 6-7 days and experience something different and just as magical. Each park has their own charm(some more so than others) and something for everyone.

If you want a break, there are other places and tourist attractions that are close by as someone who I shall not name already mentioned.

There are tons of cheap motels that provide shuttles to and from the parks along with continental breakfasts. If you stay around downtown Orlando, you can do some shopping and enjoy the nightlife.

Although, if you want to exprience Extra Magic Hours, then staying on property would be ideal. Off-season makes a world of difference.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

kronk's angel

Post by kronk's angel » Oct Thu 26, 2006 7:29 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Off-season makes a world of difference.
Absolutely agree. So many more people at the World. Everything is more different than you might realize.

One big difference is that with the World, because it's so big, and because the area offers so many unique things, you really need to plan your vacation more carefully -- in terms of how and where you'll spend your time, and your money.

Without a plan, costs can escalate. For example, there are a surprising number of outlet stores in Orlando area where you'll want to spend some at. (Wishing I could revisit that really good Birkenstock outlet...)

http://www.mousesavers.com/ and other sites, along with some of the published guides can help.

And, planning a trip like this can be really fun in itself, so enjoy!
Last edited by kronk's angel on Oct Thu 26, 2006 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
No, no... He's got a point.