What makes the best souvenirs?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Wed 29, 2007 11:03 pm

danimal3114u wrote:My family actually always used to save food containers.
My dad has a whole photo album full of the popcorn containers folded flat. It's a great souvenier because it is actually really interesting to see how they've changed over the years (plus you get an excuse to buy popcorn). I remember being so mesmorized going through the album when I was younger.
That's a really cool idea. I have a collection of bags (not popcorn bags, just regular shopping bags from the parks, but the same sorta idea). I've never really figured out what to do with them, other than keep them folded up in storage. I should cut them down and put them into an album like that. (And then refrain from showing it to any non-Disney, non-graphic design people, lol.)

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Thu 30, 2007 1:59 pm

DisBeamer wrote:
danimal3114u wrote:My family actually always used to save food containers.
My dad has a whole photo album full of the popcorn containers folded flat. It's a great souvenier because it is actually really interesting to see how they've changed over the years (plus you get an excuse to buy popcorn). I remember being so mesmorized going through the album when I was younger.
That's a really cool idea. I have a collection of bags (not popcorn bags, just regular shopping bags from the parks, but the same sorta idea). I've never really figured out what to do with them, other than keep them folded up in storage. I should cut them down and put them into an album like that. (And then refrain from showing it to any non-Disney, non-graphic design people, lol.)
Collecting the bags from teh parks is a great idea too. That's true about not letting anyone else see them! I'm sure non-Disney people would just be completed weirded out by saving bags and old food stuff.

Hypermommy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Hypermommy » Aug Fri 31, 2007 3:43 am

I like the YOMD bag so much that i have one taped to my wall at the office. I folded over the "handle" part and taped it on up there. One day I'll get a frame to put it in :-) Yep, non Disneyphiles don't get it. But then again, they don't get a lot so I have come to understand :-)
[color=purple][size=117][b]Hypermommy[/b][/size][/color]

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Sep Tue 04, 2007 6:19 pm

The hardbound picture books are usually $25.00 to $35.00.
They really do provide year after year of memories. I bought my first one at WDW in 1986. I have 5 books now, purchased over the last 20 years, and I still use all of them.

blinkereye123
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by blinkereye123 » Sep Tue 11, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi again. It goes without saying that my favorite souveniers are/were Disneyland records & CDs particulary the attraction ones. Although I was never ablt to get my hands on any CD on demand collections being here is a great substitute, :wink: . Anyway, I also tend to try and purchase any kind of reading material; books, guides, maps, etc. I consider myself something of a bookworm and as long as I have something to read and remember I'm satisfied. How's that for obsessive! Well, I guess I'm just a sucker for a good keepsake. Later, peace.

jenjolt

Post by jenjolt » Feb Mon 23, 2009 12:22 pm

I think so of my favorite souvenirs are pens to write with!! They usually don't cost to much and I can use them throughout the whole year and it always brings back memories of my trip!!

Of course I'm a huge scrapbookers so my scrapbook of my trips make really great souvenirs!
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/haunted-mansion1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/great-movie-ride2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/epcot2.gif[/img]

coasterfiend

Post by coasterfiend » Apr Thu 02, 2009 8:29 am

We like to pick up a Christmas ornament with the year on it. I don't care if the year is on the ornaments from other vacations because each of those are easy to remember individually. My most favorite from WDW is a bell with Jack Skellington as Sandy Claus surrounded by his tree, gifts, and of course Zero! Each year we put them on the trees and remember our trips.

pixiesparkles
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by pixiesparkles » Apr Thu 02, 2009 9:22 am

I love bringing some of the magic home with souvenirs!!! I think my pins are the best, because each one has a special memory. I bought pins from my favorite attractions, characters, or just because a pin is from a special collection (like Pirate Pluto). When I look at a pin, it brings some great memories back!!

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Apr Thu 02, 2009 11:42 am

I usually stick to T-shirts and hats (not the cartoony kind). My favorite items are a retro EPCOT Center shirt that I got on our last trip in 2007, and a nice pith helmet that I picked up at the Africa trading post in 2004.

Both my wife and I did a little bit of the pin collecting thing; my favorites are a Figment pin and an Incredibles pin. Last year I bought a set of retro EPCOT attraction logo pins, and I put them on my lanyard. I can't wait to wear it when we go back to WDW in January and see if anybody knows what they are.

secondstar

Post by secondstar » Apr Thu 02, 2009 7:21 pm

netslave wrote:T-shirts, only ones that actually say "Walt Disney World" on them in some form or fashion...
netslave, I agree. I love wearing "Walt Disney World" apparel. Also, my wife is into scrapbooking. For you men out there, this can become a very expensive hobby so be aware. She keeps our MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets and works them into her scrap books. Those, and maps from parks. They make for a wonderful keepsake.

I also like anything from our hotel. Souvenir mugs, in-room menus, even the literature on upcoming events.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

Peerless83

Post by Peerless83 » Apr Sat 04, 2009 2:50 am

I think my towels I borrowed from the Grand Floridian....jk.....they were from the Polynesian

Peerless83

Post by Peerless83 » Apr Sat 04, 2009 2:52 am

okay okay im no clepto...my real favorite disney take home would have to be my Zorro DVDs...i think im the only 27 year old that knows who Guy Williams is!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Apr Sat 04, 2009 9:28 am

What make a good souvenir? Something that doesn't break when you get home!
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Tue 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Towels were too big.
Magnets were too small.

Refillable mugs used to be my favorite souvenir, then they made them all the same. :cry:

My china coffee mugs are probably my favorite souvenir now. I spend a bit too much time every trip looking for a new one to take home.

napastoy
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by napastoy » Apr Thu 16, 2009 5:11 pm

For us, it was always about the memories and the historical perspective. So that's why to his day my daughter has a bag full of confetti from the 35th anniversary Mardi Gras parades.

I still remember running around like crazy scooping this stuff up and then taking the bag back to the locker for safe keeping afterwards. We attended the park 8 times that summer for the celebrations.

The confetti is now in a big trash bag stored with her yearly Christmas ornaments and she brings it out every year and relives the magic with photos and stories for her kids. She even sings the "Feeling Hot Hot Song" and perform the dances.

She also collected rocks and dirt from Tom Sawyer Island for each year, but I don't think that collection survived.

We always keep tickets ( Yes, we even have old school ticket books-my mom was smart enough to keep those) Especially special events tickets-we have tickets from the first ever Mickeys Halloween event at DLR, Pirates of the Caribbean Premier Party( My husband loves those tickets, I was more excited about getting pictures and autographs with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom) Tickets from the first Disneyana event ever held at the Disneyland Hotel.

We also keep movie stubs-My daughter has them all the times we took her to see Aladdin, B & B, Lion King and Little Mermaid.

Receipts (helps plan the next trip and its fun...and heartbreaking to look back at
how prices change)

Food napkins and retail bags (watch the designs and places change through the years)

We would also also sign the guest book and then snap a picture of the page with our names

We always buy a shirt or caps for each new parade (Good or bad...I laugh every time my husband wears his "Light Magic" sweatshirt and people say "I don't remember that one" and my husband says "You don't want to, so don't worry.")

What memories!

:mickey:
"“Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."