Walt's favorite attraction?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Just Believe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Walt's favorite attraction?

Post by Just Believe » Oct Sun 15, 2006 12:36 pm

I have heard many times that his favorite ride was the Carousel of Progress. However, I have also heard he loved Tom Sawyer's Island because he was able to go fishing in Rivers of America. Has anyone else heard different?
Do you think have enough time to go the bathroom before the next show?

We can't you old fool, WE'RE BOLTED TO THE SEATS!!!

-Statler & Waldorf
Muppet Vision 3D

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Oct Sun 15, 2006 12:45 pm

I heard somewhere that he was asked what his favorite ride was not long before he died. He answered Pirates of the Caribbean, even though it hadn't opened yet. Walt was always looking forward to improving his parks.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Just Believe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Just Believe » Oct Sun 15, 2006 12:48 pm

Esmeralda wrote: Walt was always looking forward to improving his parks.
Amen to that Esmeralda!!! :wink: I wish he was still here to see the "progress" that has become part of his parks.
Do you think have enough time to go the bathroom before the next show?

We can't you old fool, WE'RE BOLTED TO THE SEATS!!!

-Statler & Waldorf
Muppet Vision 3D

DisneyManInSeattle
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by DisneyManInSeattle » Oct Mon 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Here here. It's always an intersting converstaion "what would Walt do" but really sometimes it is just amaizing. Part of me wishes that the Disney parks were a separate corporation that just focused on parks. I know that Walt focused on a bunch of things but it was the parks that was his treasure.

-mark

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Oct Tue 17, 2006 1:01 pm

I read somewhere that Walt's favorite ride was whatever he was building at the time. as PotC was unfinished at the time of his death, that is said to have been his favorite ride. but, really, anything he was working on was his favorite.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » Oct Thu 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Walt's favourite attraction was whatever was being worked on at the time. As others have said, Walt's last favourite attraction was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Breton
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Breton » Apr Thu 05, 2007 8:45 pm

js3901,

Yes I just read this today that his favorite was whichever ride he was working on at that current time.

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Fri 06, 2007 10:40 am

Breton wrote:js3901,

Yes I just read this today that his favorite was whichever ride he was working on at that current time.
That's absolutely correct. I've read that in a number of sources. So at the time of his death, Walt's favorite attraction was Pirates of the Caribbean.
"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards--the things we live by and teach our children--are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -- Walter Elias Disney

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Apr Fri 06, 2007 12:40 pm

DisneyManInSeattle wrote:I know that Walt focused on a bunch of things but it was the parks that was his treasure.
I think he was kind of "over" the parks. He was ready to move on to building cities and fixing civilization in general.

I am still angry at him for smoking...

CDAbleson
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by CDAbleson » Apr Sat 07, 2007 8:46 am

I certainly echo that last statement...
What would have Walt done throughout the early years of WDW.....?

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Apr Sat 07, 2007 8:22 pm

I think he pretty much would have let the Imagineers deal with the Magic Kingdom and would be spending a lot of time in corporate boardrooms making deals and with civil engineers and architects making plans for the real EPCOT.

Fear of Walt's wrath (or at least stern fatherly disappointment) if they screwed up would have probably kept the Imagineers honest.

I've read that even corporate CEOs had tremendous respect and admiration for Walt, but I wonder how all those deals necessary to create EPCOT would have panned out.
Last edited by Captain Schnemo on Apr Mon 30, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

thsawrp
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by thsawrp » Apr Mon 30, 2007 1:58 am

I read the same thing that Walts favorite attraction was the current one he was working on. He was just a wise man. :mickey:

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Apr Mon 30, 2007 6:50 am

Here's a thought...Of all the rides, in all the parks. Which ride do you think he would say is his favorite if he were alive today?

Edit: My guess would be Turtle Talk with Crush. Its really the only show that is for kids and adults alike. Fun, entertaining, family friendly, and not dumb for teenagers.
Last edited by FlatlandMounty on May Fri 11, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Apr Mon 30, 2007 8:09 am

Spider-Man?

Seriously though, maybe The Land, since it's the closest to what he was hoping for in EPCOT.

Although, really, 40 years later, who knows what he'd really be into these days. I know he'd be terribly disappointed with the parks as they are today, because they wouldn't even meet 1966 Walt's approval.

Maybe he'd be senile and think the Monsters comedy show is a real hoot...

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Fri 11, 2007 6:55 am

Walt probably love whatever attraction brought children and parents together. Those that had just the perfect mix of good hearted fun and interest that everyone could share in it. Well, that pretty much covers everything in WDW and DL as far as I'm concerned. I do know that Walt would probably have some very different ideas about the direction the company should be going in. Walt was a businessman but above all he was a showman and that's something that the "company" has lost little by little over the years.
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew