Best Disney Hotel?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

slotofkit
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by slotofkit » Jun Thu 28, 2007 4:03 pm

JWG wrote:
casrin wrote:Have they 'themed' Paradise Pier much? When we were out there, just after Disney had purchased the hotel in 1997 or so, it just looked like a regular hotel with Disney's name stamped on it.
Can someone help me understand the "level" of hotel at DL? They have 3 hotels, Disneyland Hotel (the original), Paradies Pier or whatever the 2nd hotel was they acquired and the Grand Californian.

Obviously the Grand Galifornian would be your "deluxe" accommodations (especially with a private gate to CA). How do the other two compare/fall?

I stayed at the Disneyland hotel in 1996 and loved it, it seemed pretty nice even for its age.
DL Hotel and Paradise Pier are more moderate, although Paradise Pier could barely qualify (it is nice). Grand Californian is definitely a deluxe.
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Mon 16, 2007 8:27 pm

The Wilderness Lodge!!!

ralberts
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by ralberts » Jul Tue 17, 2007 7:01 am

I love the wilderness lodge. Is seems so secluded, but just a boat hop away from the MK.
Randall

jozel27
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by jozel27 » Jul Mon 30, 2007 10:22 am

You know for me it is the All Stars Movies. I know it isn't one of the high end ones, but for my daughter and I it works just fine for us there. Besides we get more money to play at the parks.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Mon 30, 2007 10:52 am

JWG wrote:
casrin wrote:Have they 'themed' Paradise Pier much? When we were out there, just after Disney had purchased the hotel in 1997 or so, it just looked like a regular hotel with Disney's name stamped on it.
Can someone help me understand the "level" of hotel at DL? They have 3 hotels, Disneyland Hotel (the original), Paradies Pier or whatever the 2nd hotel was they acquired and the Grand Californian.

Obviously the Grand Galifornian would be your "deluxe" accommodations (especially with a private gate to CA). How do the other two compare/fall?

I stayed at the Disneyland hotel in 1996 and loved it, it seemed pretty nice even for its age.
They definitely do not use those definitions at DLR, but GCH and DLH would be deluxes, and PPH would be something in the range of a moderate or a "lodge" at WDW... the pricing, however, is similar enough at each place, and it starts around $225 for the PPH... a little higher than "lodge" prices at WDW, not quite as much as the full-blown deluxes.
~Steve

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Aug Sat 18, 2007 7:46 am

I have wandered around the hotels at WDW but have only stayed at the All Star resorts. I love 'em. :D

All I need is a bed and a shower. Just as well as that's about all they have.

I might try Riverside or Wilderness at some point as I get older and slower and need to spend less time in the parks. 8)
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Agentgiles
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Agentgiles » Aug Mon 20, 2007 12:50 am

Prefer anything on the Monrail curcuit.

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Aug Mon 20, 2007 6:46 am

Joe90 wrote:I have wandered around the hotels at WDW but have only stayed at the All Star resorts. I love 'em. :D

All I need is a bed and a shower. Just as well as that's about all they have.

I might try Riverside or Wilderness at some point as I get older and slower and need to spend less time in the parks. 8)
Bed and a shower... lol. Nice! I still like the ambience though of the higher priced resorts.

Never stayed on the monorail loop; I think that'd be convenient someday.
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Mon 20, 2007 10:17 am

Agentgiles wrote:Prefer anything on the Monrail curcuit.
Unfortunately, those are all their high end resorts. :(
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

TLCMMM
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by TLCMMM » Aug Mon 20, 2007 10:02 pm

I have to say:

Yaught and Beach Club
Wildreness Lodge - especially at Christmas time
Port Orleans - French Quarter and Riverside
Chris Matthews 1-888-277-3380
Travel Consultant with MouseEarVacations.com
and CruisingCo.com

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Aug Tue 21, 2007 9:53 am

I've been to the Disneyland Hotel three times (all for conferences) and it's cool being at the original. I don't think anyone who goes there will be disappointed. Last trip to WDW we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. The bunkbeds for the kids was great and the lobby is breathtaking. That's the only time I was at a deluxe at WDW, and the only reason we stayed there was because the park tickets and flights were free! So next time its back to the All-Star. I think the only think different from a regular motel and the AS is that they are on Disney property staffed by Disney castmembers, but that in itself is reason enough to stay there.

TLCMMM
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by TLCMMM » Aug Tue 21, 2007 10:07 am

Yes being on property is great!!!!! It is true what they say "Once you stay on property you never want to stay off property again" :D
Chris Matthews 1-888-277-3380
Travel Consultant with MouseEarVacations.com
and CruisingCo.com

Hypermommy

Post by Hypermommy » Aug Tue 21, 2007 11:12 am

TLCMMM wrote:Yes being on property is great!!!!! It is true what they say "Once you stay on property you never want to stay off property again" :D
Amen to that! I used to wonder what all the on-site fuss is about. Now I so totally get it. Although it's still Pop for me (can't see spending more) I surely do want to stay onsite!!! Now.... if I could just win the Lotto it'd be the Poly for sure!
[color=purple][size=117][b]Hypermommy[/b][/size][/color]

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Tue 21, 2007 12:13 pm

I love staying at the Grand Californian. It's so wonderful to just sit and relax in the lobby, even if you're not staying there :). The rooms are very nice IMO, and I've been on both sides of the hotel, overlooking DCA and the Grizzly Peak Recreation area and DTD. Both rooms had excellent views, and we loved just sitting out on the patio. Overlooking DCA, our porch was surrounded by trees and we could sit our there and listen to the area music and the kids laughing, etc. as the sun set. Over the DTD room, we could sit and listen to some great preformers in DTD, particularly a wonderful violinist. We also loved the fiber optics they put in the walls, just a very cool little touch that made it that much more magical. I highly suggest staying at the Grand if you're thinking of a Disney hotel at DLR. As spaulo said, all of the hotels are pretty much in the same price range, and it's worth the extra $20 or so a night, hands down.

blinkereye123

Post by blinkereye123 » Sep Mon 17, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi again. OK, so here goes. DL: Grand Californian=great location, great atmosphere. WDW: Grand Floridan=beauty, charm, ellegance, (yes I'm a sucker). Polynesian Resort=tropicality, location. Port Orleans and Riverside=seclusion, atmosphere, (and yes, pricey). Special mention- Disneyland Paris: Disneyland Hotel=for all the obvious reasons. Well, that's my two cents, peace.