Pin Trading

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

bigthunderlover
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Pin Trading

Post by bigthunderlover » Sep Sat 23, 2006 3:41 pm

So this pin trading business is getting pretty big. I have seen some people who have vests full of these pins. I'm not sure where it started but it's pretty fun being able to trade pins with complete strangers in the park. I want to know if you have started a pin collection and how many you have. And which one is your most prized pin. That one pin you just won't give up!
I do stuff sometimes.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Sat 23, 2006 3:44 pm

I didn't know pin trading was a big thing until I went to WDW. There everyone has vests and hats and lanyards.

I guess I didn't really notice it done at Disneyland. It seems more low key there.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Sep Sun 24, 2006 1:18 am

How cool would a SubsonicRadio pin be? That would be elite. 8)

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Sep Sun 24, 2006 1:41 am

We always purchase pins online before each visit for my girls so when we get there, they aren't wanting to purchase pins. they are looking to trade pins! we get them enough for one each day of our visit. which of course the first thing we end up doing is seeking a cast member or pin station for that first trade.

bigthunderlover
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bigthunderlover » Sep Sun 24, 2006 12:03 pm

How cool would a SubsonicRadio pin be? That would be elite.

That would be awesome! Everyone would see that pin and want to know more about it, and then we would get more listeners and supporters!
I do stuff sometimes.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Sep Sun 24, 2006 1:46 pm

Used to probably spend a couple hundred dollars on pins on each trip up until the past couple of years - the fad has died down for me, although I'll typically buy one or two. Never was into trading.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Mon 25, 2006 11:56 am

Super obsessed Disney people, who flaunt it, scare me. That's why pin traders creep me out. Though, I would like to see a SR pin :)
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Mon 25, 2006 12:09 pm

subsonic wrote:Super obsessed Disney people, who flaunt it, scare me. That's why pin traders creep me out. Though, I would like to see a SR pin :)
Haha. That's what I was thinking when I saw the topic, but you outright said it.

Sometimes the actual trading process is intense. People should learn some pin trading etiquette.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Sep Mon 25, 2006 12:35 pm

My fiancee and I have a (very!) small pin collection, around 30-ish pins. They go on the Mickey Mouse Club shoulder bag that I take to the parks to carry our cell phones, wallets, camera, etc. I have traded twice... once with a cast member, when I decided the hitchhiking ghost pin she had was totally better (and more Disney) than the Chewbacca pin I had.

The other time was with my dad, he has a larger-than-mine-but-still-small collection of @ 200-300 pins, and a bunch of doubles. I found pins at DLR last time we were there of Mickey in a little Oakland A's uniform sliding into home plate. We're big fans, so I bought two and traded one with him.

But for the most part, we get the ones that signify the times we are there... we have Valentine's '05, Xmas '04 and '05, one of Mickey proposing to Minnie (we got engaged at Epcot), stuff like that. We think the pins are awesome, but they're too pricey for us to buy more than 3-4 per trip. We're building a small, meaningful collection, and slowly.
~Steve

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Sep Mon 25, 2006 3:13 pm

I have about 50 but alot are doubles and some triples, like the carriage for HM and a couple of others. I will be getting serveral pins in Oct. for the MNSSHP they have specific ones for each night, last year I found out about it too late and only got a pin on the last night we went, I got Cinderella in a Pumpkin patch. I like getting a few of them but I don't trade, because I spent good money on it, :lol: If there is something that a CM has that I want I will just go over to a pin shop and buy a cheap one to trade.

The 50 I have have been built up over the years most are from DL with the 50th stuff. The rest are from POTC, HM, and STours.

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by foldmama » Sep Tue 26, 2006 1:12 pm

My nephew is into the pins and enjoys trading. Two years ago when we went down to WDW I wanted him to try some of the E rides. I knew he was ready at 8, but he was afraid. So I made him a deal that for every new ride he went on I would buy him a pin. I spent about $170.00 on pins on that trip. On the flight home he told me "Aunt Eileen, you made a really bad deal". By the way, he can't wait to go down in December to ride all the "E" rides.

jbvenn

Post by jbvenn » Sep Tue 26, 2006 8:09 pm

We have bought a few pins, but like others have said, they've always been chosen for sentimental reasons (a favorite ride, park, character, etc.). So no one in the family is interested in trading.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to indicate that you are a trader/non-trader. My kids have been approached about trading a couple of times and it makes them uncomfortable to say "no."
"Hey, you goldbricks, this ain't a spectator sport! Where do you think you are, Disney World?" -- General Knowledge

[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/epcot2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/port-orleans-2.gif[/img]

Croaker

Post by Croaker » Sep Tue 26, 2006 10:39 pm

just wait till we see those pins on ebay for $500 each. we will wish we stopped collecting toe-nail clippings and started buying pins.

knedeau

Post by knedeau » Sep Wed 27, 2006 8:17 am

I have about 20 or so pins. Like Spaulo, I buy them to commemorate my trip... I've not traded, since I'm so picky about my pins to begin with. :)
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

Halvogirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by Halvogirl » Sep Wed 27, 2006 1:44 pm

yeah about 35 for me. i just like the hunt of the trade, searching for pairs or old pre-trading-pins.
Yes, this is my happy place! Well, when not in my happy place.

It's official, The family is visiting Disneyland in October!

http://www.halvomassage.com
http://www.facebook.com/halvomassage