Evolution of Disney Attractions (Rant)

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

bbowen13
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by bbowen13 » Sep Mon 11, 2006 8:36 pm

O.K., with the Living Seas being changed to "The Seas with Nemo & Friends", the Buzz Lightyear ride and now the Comedy club with Mike from Monsters, one question....Is this still Disney World or are they changing it to Pixarland? :?

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Mon 11, 2006 11:31 pm

well, they're going with what's popular right now. look at PotC. Pixar is hot because of the computer animation they do. and because disnaey released the pictures, came up with the marketing, and eventually bought the company, they're going to profit from it as much as possible until the well runs dry.

I'm sad to see Timekeeper go, as it was one of my favorites (see my sig). But, I'm happy to see the sea cabs back, even if they are changing them to be "clam-mobiles"...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Sep Tue 12, 2006 6:18 am

While I do like the movies, I think it's terrible that they are giving everything a "Movie Theme". I mean, have they really DONE their research? The Haunted Mansion and the POTC have been doing SOOOOO well for SOOOO long WTHOUT movies. I mean they were so cool, they had movies made about THEM! The Disney Theme Parks should not be the "Movie Theme Park"
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Sep Tue 12, 2006 9:52 am

Living Seas UPDATE:

http://wdwmagic.com/seas_withnemoandfriends.htm

Ohh maybe it will be open when I am there in October......

:)

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Sep Tue 12, 2006 11:06 am

knedeau wrote:While I do like the movies, I think it's terrible that they are giving everything a "Movie Theme". I mean, have they really DONE their research? The Haunted Mansion and the POTC have been doing SOOOOO well for SOOOO long WTHOUT movies. I mean they were so cool, they had movies made about THEM! The Disney Theme Parks should not be the "Movie Theme Park"
AMEN, sister !!!! I had been thinking of how to phrase my thoughts, and you summarized them pretty well. I love the movies too, but that doesn't mean I want to see them taking over all WDW attractions.

:evil:

:mickey:
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Tue 12, 2006 2:19 pm

but when you stop to think about it, the movies aren't taking over the parks, they helped to build the parks. look at Peter Pan, Cinderella/Sleeping beauty castles, Swiss family Robinson tree house, Tom sawyer Island, Dumbo, Mad Hatter Tea Party, and all of ToonTown. every one of these was based off the movies/shows. not to mention all of Disney/MGM studios and Animal Kingdom. do we really think that the parks would be the same if Walt DIDN'T start his company and make these movies? Sure, he may have made a park, but it wouldn;t be the place of magic it is today.

But, don;t get me wrong, I don;t like half of where they're going (like I said before with Timekeeper). I look at what you guys are posting, and see that the majority of everyone feels that taking the movies and making them into rides is a bad thing. It's really not, it's half of the parks as it was when they first opened Disneyland in 1955.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Tue 12, 2006 4:09 pm

I have no problem with them changing the park over with these new rides. It is DISNEY and they usually don't disappoint....ok maybe Stitch's Great Escape but otherwise I enjoy some of the new shows/rides like Turtle Talk with Crush.

And this new Nemo ride looks real interesting.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Sep Tue 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Im with Knedeau on this, also yah Nemo and Pirates are popular now, but what happens 5 years from now.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Tue 12, 2006 4:41 pm

I think they will still be popular in 5 years. I mean, look at the mid 90s with Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast. They have a few rides/shows of theres in the park. Some have come and gone but some have stayed too.

Maybe not Monsters Inc. A movie that I have not seen and doesn't interest me but I see nothing wrong with Finding Nemo & Pirates.

Yay 200th post :)
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

bbowen13

Post by bbowen13 » Sep Tue 12, 2006 5:43 pm

I don't have a problem with them creating the Pixar rides but the Comedy club with Mike from Monsters has nothing to do with Tomorrowland. If they placed it in Disney Studios aka MGM Studios then that would be fine. But to stick it where it doesn't fit in that's a different story.:mickey:

csquare77

Post by csquare77 » Sep Tue 12, 2006 7:40 pm

The problem with eveything going to a movie theme it just seems too kiddish, I know Disney is mainly for kids, but...

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Tue 12, 2006 8:04 pm

csquare77 wrote:I know Disney is mainly for kids, but...
see, THAT'S the problem nowadays. Disney originally built his park as a "family park where parents and children could have fun — together". All the most recent additions (newer rides/shows) are geared towards the children now. Not the adults. While many INVOLVE the parents (turtle talk with crush as an example), they are mostly for the children's benefit. They need to start imagineering things that involve BOTH adults and kids.

Site Admin, WDW Freak

knedeau

Post by knedeau » Sep Wed 13, 2006 9:13 am

HERE HERE! I TOTALLY AGREE! Disney should STOP dumbing down the rides, and make some that enjoyable for everyone... not JUST the kids.
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Wed 13, 2006 9:32 am

the sad thing about my rant there - I haven't to WDW since August 2002. Half these thing weren't built yet (like Mission: Space, turtle talk, nemo show, stitch, etc). So, I haven't had the chance to experience them yet myself. I'll get that chance come December, and hopefully I'm not let down too much.

Site Admin, WDW Freak

knedeau

Post by knedeau » Sep Wed 13, 2006 10:03 am

Well......... Stich is NOT better than Alien Encounter....... it's amusing.. but not better. And Mission Space is cool...if you're not prone to motion sickness. I may try the "Gentle Version" when I'm there in Dec.