Disney taking Fingerprints

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Wed 01, 2007 10:50 pm

in December, we put our ticket into the turnstile and just showed picture ID (drivers license). the CM at the stile would take a quick look at the ID and match the face, then press a button on their side to unlock the turnstile and spit out our ticket... worked great. fast and efficient.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Hypermommy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Hypermommy » Aug Thu 02, 2007 6:07 am

PudgetteD wrote:Are they really taking fingerprints? My place of employment uses a thing that looks identical to Disney's but it doesn't take fingerprints, it takes precise measurements of our fingers, we use it to clock in and out along with the last 4 of our SS#.
I think when they were doing the double-finger thing it might have been something like that but I'm not sure if that's the case with only the single finger. It would have to be a fingerprint, wouldn't it?

Of course, I have quite a different take on privacy than a lot of people I know. I remember getting into quite a "discussion" about it with an ethics professor at college. Maybe it's becuase I came from such a small town and I grew up knowing that everyone knew what "Bob Mills' Daughter" (that's who I was and always will be there :-) ) was up to. So it's no biggie to me if people know where and when I came and went.

And I do agree that Disney would protect the info becuase they can't afford the bad publicity of someone misusing the info. Of course, if someone wants to, they're welcome to take my identity. Made too many financial mistakes in my youth that I'm still trying to overcome. So come take my identity and I'll start over as someone else :lol:
[color=purple][size=117][b]Hypermommy[/b][/size][/color]

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Aug Thu 02, 2007 7:43 am

With the APs it's so there is no AP "Sharing". APs have people's names on them. So they can check them against the name on the back of the AP. (or in my case they just ask me to spell my last name, one of the beenies of having a family name that is only shared by about 25 families world wide, and yes we are all related.)

For the park passes, it's to prevent you giving/selling a half day to someone else. But since the park people have nothing to reference it to. It's not a lot of use to tell you the truth. (Oh I must have my wife's ticket.) How is the CM to know?

And anyone that has ever queued to get into the park knows the biometrics don't work very well. I would say it works less than 1 out of 5 times right away. The person sticks there fingers in, and the CM is like "move your fingers around" and then sometimes it spits the ticket out and they have to do it again. Maybe 20% is too low... but it seems very low.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

jcodirewolf

Post by jcodirewolf » Aug Sat 04, 2007 3:48 pm

They have two systems now. The old one where you did the vulcan love long and prosper thing and the new one which does do fingerprints.

The old one which are every where but MK do a "mesurement" on your fingers. The new ones are basicly what the mythbusters tested. Im in computer admin and security and unless they have some super secret cool fingerprint thing they are all junk. Normaly they are used as part of a 2 or 3 part id system. Typicaly a PIN code or a card and your fingerprint. (or all 3.)

something you have and something you know. Really cool systems include a panic code (type it in and it alerts your security)

To be honest you give up more personal information by using your credit card once at MK then you do by giving out your fingerprint to Disney. What does your fingerprint give people acces to?

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Sep Thu 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Customs take my fingerprints before I'm allowed into your country, so I have no problem with Disney having a fingerprint so I'm alowed into his World. :D
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

mageloff
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by mageloff » Nov Mon 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Here is an interesting fact - I have work here in Orlando for the theme parks and a condition of being hired, since you are working with children - in the State of Florida - is that you have to have a FBI background check and must be finger printed anyway.

Of course, not everyone works for a theme park, but if you work with youth or carry many state licenses - they already have our finger prints...

However, I have to say I have noticed that the stupid machines often don't even work! My brother and a friend used to switch annual passes and their finger prints would be accepted anyway...

It sure makes you wonder! :P
Nick

Jambo Wilson! Simba One is entering the reserve at Little Ituri Forest.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Nov Tue 20, 2007 12:44 pm

mageloff wrote:Here is an interesting fact - I have work here in Orlando for the theme parks and a condition of being hired, since you are working with children - in the State of Florida - is that you have to have a FBI background check and must be finger printed anyway.
Same situation for me (in California) when I got a job at a high school. They take working around minors pretty seriously everywhere, it seems.
~Steve

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Nov Tue 20, 2007 5:09 pm

spaulo wrote:
mageloff wrote:Here is an interesting fact - I have work here in Orlando for the theme parks and a condition of being hired, since you are working with children - in the State of Florida - is that you have to have a FBI background check and must be finger printed anyway.
Same situation for me (in California) when I got a job at a high school. They take working around minors pretty seriously everywhere, it seems.
You have to sign a background release to even volunteer with the PTA here.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]