Technology in the parks - I'm disappointed

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Technology in the parks - I'm disappointed

Post by subsonic » Aug Sat 26, 2006 11:18 am

I'm started going on a rant in the Disneyland - Star Tours thread and realized this topic deserves it's one section.

From my post in Star Tours
subsonic wrote:
indysoarin19 wrote:As for when it gets updated, I hope that it pushes technology, like having cutting edge presentation and sound and give parkgoers a whole new meaning to the phrase "smooth flight to Endor" or wherever the Starspeeder heads to.
That's the thing for me. There's so many new technologies coming out regularly and it seems Disney isn't using any of them. I remember when attractions used to "wow" me. Star Tours when it came out wow'ed the heck out of me. The last attraction that wow'ed is still Indiana Jones. And that is now many years old. If I have to pick any attraction that Disney has built (I have not been to WDW in 8 years, so I might be wow'ed by Mission:space) that has been technically interesting I would have to say Soarin'. I've seen the big screen done many times (Back to the future ride (USH), Hanna-barbara ride (USF)) but the seating system is pretty cool.

It's just so disappointing that Disney used to go above and beyond what was out there in terms of technology. Now they just meet it.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Aug Mon 28, 2006 9:10 am

Maybe now with new managment we will see more of the WOW factor and less of the eh factor. The Mission Space ride would definatly WOW many folks on their first, second, even third rides (just don't eat heavily before riding it). They actually have some of the new WOWs but they have been in the form of upgrades, like POTC with the fog screen and the realistic JS AA's, HM with the floating Crystal ball and the bride with the axe(although that is more of a cool than a WOW). Tell me that you didn't go WOW when you gazed apon these for the first time.

Like I said earlier, maybe now they will do better. Strive for that above and beyond status that many of us are looking for.
subsonic wrote:Oh, I cuncur, the changed in POTC and HM were a very nice upgrade. Disney needs to continue with this. Those are very close "wow"s for me. But they need to build an entire attraction based on these type of effects. Imagine that :) :mickey:
I agree totally with the fact that a NEW ride needs to be more WOW and less like monsters, honestly I think it is kind of bland no real WOWs in there, I was comenting on the fact that Disney has done WOWs recently. I hope that this new Living Seas and Submarine rides are more WOWing than what I fear they will be.
Last edited by Dr. Ravenscroft on Aug Mon 28, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Mon 28, 2006 10:39 am

Oh, I cuncur, the changed in POTC and HM were a very nice upgrade. Disney needs to continue with this. Those are very close "wow"s for me. But they need to build an entire attraction based on these type of effects. Imagine that :) :mickey:

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Wowie!

Post by sockfire » Aug Tue 29, 2006 1:22 pm

I am always impressed with upgrades. Speaking only of Disneyland:

The Space Mountain update was very cool, I loved it.

I really liked the new attic in Haunted Mansion. Totally unnecessary upgrade. What a nice surprise.

The new fireworks show is great, and I usually don't care for firework shows.

The re-painting that was done for the 50th made a huge difference.

I can't wait to see the new Pirates upgrades.

I can't wait to see the upgrades on Subs. These were very much needed!

As far as general technology disappointment goes, there doesn't seem to be a real reason for it. I think we got used to new stuff all the time. Now that focus is split between DCA and Disneyland, it's always going to seem like one is getting left behind.

One thing that helped me appreciate the parks more is that I only go 2 or 3 times a year now. I guess annual passholders would have a different perspective, but remember that the park is not designed for frequent visiting.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Wed 30, 2006 10:44 am

I'm not saying any of those upgrades are bad. I think they are fantastic.

Thanks for reminding me about the Fireworks. That "wow"ed me.

I'm just waiting for the next Indy or Star Tours. Those were ahead of it's time.

sockfire

Post by sockfire » Sep Tue 05, 2006 10:14 pm

subsonic wrote:I'm just waiting for the next Indy or Star Tours. Those were ahead of it's time.
Another George Lucas attraction would be cool. A whole themepark designed that way would be awesome. He's always wanted to do his own park. Who knows?

jbvenn
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by jbvenn » Sep Wed 06, 2006 8:52 pm

Looks like Disney's interest in technology is limited to fingerprinting guests (see related thread). Doing something with technology to wow the guests after they've been fingerprinted -- not so much.
"Hey, you goldbricks, this ain't a spectator sport! Where do you think you are, Disney World?" -- General Knowledge

[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/epcot2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/port-orleans-2.gif[/img]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Thu 07, 2006 10:40 am

Anybody see the 2006 Video Music Awards? They had these amazing screens all around the set. Disney really needs to make a new ride that has something like this which totally surrounds the guests.

You can see it in the Shakira video about 2 min 15 sec in
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mQgzO6StnJ0

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Fri 08, 2006 6:45 pm

subsonic wrote:Anybody see the 2006 Video Music Awards? They had these amazing screens all around the set. Disney really needs to make a new ride that has something like this which totally surrounds the guests.

You can see it in the Shakira video about 2 min 15 sec in
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mQgzO6StnJ0
That opening sequence with J.T. was great, and I am not a big pop fan. What a fantastic light show.

I remember a Disney Channel special once a few years ago where they were talking about Imagineering. While someone was talking they showed some footage taken from inside Imagineering. One shot was a test of the Indy ride vehicle in a big warehouse. Another was of some people sitting in folding chairs theater-style and a giant robot thing crashed through a side wall. It was really quick and I don't know what they were experimenting with (possibly an Alien Encounter effect) but it was really cool. THAT is the kind of stuff that's been lacking at Disney lately.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Mon 11, 2006 10:34 am

I have yet to go on Spiderman at USF but from what I've seen and heard, it sounds like Universal has supassed Disney as far as a "Technical" attraction goes.

Horizons1,
My thoughts exactly. I'll bet Imagineers have some great ideas but the bean pushers veto the money it takes to get done. It's apparent that's the reason the parks have lacked amazing attractions, they are thinking, "How can we save a buck now?" and don't realize it takes money to make money. It really hurt Disneyland during the Cynthia Harris / Paul Pressler era. *ahem* 1998 Tomorrowland, DCA, Winnie the Pooh, etc...
Matt Ouimet had turned the park around quite a bit. Forced them to put money back into the parks... hopefully the new guy will follow suit.

Just Believe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Just Believe » Sep Tue 26, 2006 7:53 pm

subsonic wrote:I have yet to go on Spiderman at USF but from what I've seen and heard, it sounds like Universal has supassed Disney as far as a "Technical" attraction goes.

Horizons1,
My thoughts exactly. I'll bet Imagineers have some great ideas but the bean pushers veto the money it takes to get done. It's apparent that's the reason the parks have lacked amazing attractions, they are thinking, "How can we save a buck now?" and don't realize it takes money to make money. It really hurt Disneyland during the Cynthia Harris / Paul Pressler era. *ahem* 1998 Tomorrowland, DCA, Winnie the Pooh, etc...
Matt Ouimet had turned the park around quite a bit. Forced them to put money back into the parks... hopefully the new guy will follow suit.
WHOA!!!!!! The Spiderman ride is the most breathtaking ride evermade, not even Disney could top the energy and creative approach Islands of Adventure. I think I should write a post on this subject. viewtopic.php?t=2069
Do you think have enough time to go the bathroom before the next show?

We can't you old fool, WE'RE BOLTED TO THE SEATS!!!

-Statler & Waldorf
Muppet Vision 3D

csquare77

Post by csquare77 » Sep Tue 26, 2006 8:18 pm

Oh man thats all I have heard about that spiderman ride... and I missed it...

kronk's angel

Post by kronk's angel » Oct Sun 15, 2006 6:39 am

Travel Channel sometimes run a program about Universal and shows in detail what it took to make Spiderman -- it looks amazing. And very expensive.

Maybe a Chronicles of Narnia attraction could include some of that technology...
No, no... He's got a point.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Oct Sun 15, 2006 11:31 am

Maybe a Chronicles of Narnia attraction could include some of that technology
That's such an awesome idea and would be such good use of space for the MGM sound stages. Better than a toy story dark ride that the rumors are saying is going in there. We don't need any more pixar, but some of Disney's live action movies are much needed at the Studios. Wishful thinking I guess though...

Vonderbach
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Vonderbach » Oct Mon 16, 2006 7:39 am

It's interesting that the most amazing thing I ever saw at Disney wasn't a ride at all. It was a black screen in the gift shop at the Contemporary Resort in Florida. It was a l.e.d. fireworks show programed into this black fabric screen. For some reason, that gave me the WOW that I expect from WDW. Sometimes it's the small things.