Technology in the parks - I'm disappointed

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Wed 21, 2007 11:16 am

I think Star Tours was using technology just as it came out. Sure, it's a little dated right now, but I think it's STILL the best simulator out there. Back to the Future felt like it would mostly bounce around with a few drops and turns.

But, as we've said before, Disney needs to take a hard look at Spider-man. That should be the goal they are trying to exceed. Nothing has come close to that.

I think Imagineers WANT to make great stuff but upper management has to get their hands on it and pull money from it.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Mar Wed 21, 2007 12:03 pm

I think Star Tours was using technology just as it came out.
Good point. And it's of a higher quality than most of these lame simulators. I've seen some pretty awful ones at Six Flags, and even the Sea World one is really bad.
Back to the Future felt like it would mostly bounce around with a few drops and turns.
Maybe, but at least it feels like a real experience to me. The small screen on Star Tours just doesn't do anything for me. It's in no way immersive, and the whole time I just feel like I'm being shaken in a box while watching television.

It doesn't compare to even an old Fantasyland attraction, where everywhere you look, there's something to see. To me, it's just a trick to direct your attention at one small show element, keeping the maintenance simple.

In terms of thrills, I'd rather ride Thunder Mountain. Better visuals and an actual fun trip with a nice feeling of motion.
I think Imagineers WANT to make great stuff but upper management has to get their hands on it and pull money from it.
I want to believe that, I just haven't seen any evidence of it. They don't seem to be sweating the small stuff as much as I'd like, and that is probably something under their control.

I haven't heard any rumors of any tremendous projects that were killed for financial reasons, but of course that doesn't prove anything. (I have heard that a number of Imagineers jumped ship to work on Islands of Adventure, so there's some evidence in favor of WDI.)

When you take a look at the old Walt material where he's showing off the tech he planned on using for new attractions, as well as the stuff he was working on the real world, there's just no comparison. That aspect of the Disney company is dead, and it's only reasonable to assume that it's rubbed off on Imagineering.
Last edited by Captain Schnemo on Mar Thu 22, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Mar Wed 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote: Maybe, but at least it feels like a real experience to me. The small screen on Star Tours just doesn't do anything for me. It's in no way immersive, and the whole time I just feel like I'm being shaken in a box while watching television.
Ur right. As much as I want to be fooled by the simulator, it doesn't work for me. That sucks cause I'm a big star wars geek. It feels fake. Some kind of update needs to be done. The Pee-wee Herman robot doesn't help either.
Image Image

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Mar Wed 21, 2007 1:40 pm

I found that if you're in the front row, the effect is pretty well done, only when you have to ride behind other people it starts to feel like you're in a simulator. Maybe that's just the way my brain reacts though...

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Thu 22, 2007 10:23 am

Captain Schnemo wrote:When you take a look at the old Walt material where he's showing off the tech he planned on using for new attractions, as well as the stuff he was working on the real world, there's just no comparison. That aspect of the Disney company is dead, and it's only reasonable to assume that it's rubbed off on Imagineering.
You're right, what happened to the concept of getting people all hyped up about attractions by promoting them on their own TV show? It's gotta be rubbing off, why should Imagineers care what they do if their ideas get shoved off by budgets and gimmicks just to have the final product be released on a 15 second TV commercial.

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Mar Thu 22, 2007 7:32 pm

subsonic wrote:You're right, what happened to the concept of getting people all hyped up about attractions by promoting them on their own TV show?
Most of the new stuff isn't that impressive technologically, so there's probably not much to say about it. That said, there are still things they could hype in interesting ways.

Universal doesn't seem to get this either. I am pretty sure most people have never heard of Islands of Adventure, and even if they have, Universal has done a terrible job of explaining that it's a whole new park (which is many times better than their first landfill of a park). I've never heard of anyone who wasn't wow'ed by Spider-Man, but most people don't even know it exists. Granted, it's extremely difficult to convey the feeling the ride gives you in a commercial or a show, but they should at least try. They're willing to highlight a dude in Frankenstein suit in all the commercials (which I don't think appeals to anyone anywhere) and they also highlight an extremely unimpressive effect from the Mummy ride.

It's pretty clear the marketeers have no idea wtf they are doing.
It's gotta be rubbing off, why should Imagineers care what they do if their ideas get shoved off by budgets and gimmicks just to have the final product be released on a 15 second TV commercial.
And everything is framed in the context of "remember how much you liked Disney when you were a kid?". Well, yeah, OK, that is cool, but one of the things I liked about Disney when I was a young was amazing effects, not just a bunch of chicks dressed up like princesses.

When this generation grows up, will the ad campaign be "remember how much your parents liked Disney?"?

disneyinfopage
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by disneyinfopage » Mar Mon 26, 2007 2:58 pm

I hope that this new Living Seas and Submarine rides are more WOWing than what I fear they will be.
Have you been on Nemo? While it's "cute", for me, it's definitely not a WOW thing. I think the line is longer than the ride itself (and in some cases, better!).

I agree with everyone, though, that Disney does need to "up the anty" a bit with some over-the-top rides.

Judy

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Tue 27, 2007 10:19 am

disneyinfopage wrote:Have you been on Nemo? While it's "cute", for me, it's definitely not a WOW thing. I think the line is longer than the ride itself (and in some cases, better!).
The queue is pretty neat, I have to agree. While not as detailed as something like Indiana Jones or Roger Rabbit's (both at DLR) it's theming is still great.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Mar Tue 27, 2007 11:27 am

disneyinfopage wrote:
I hope that this new Living Seas and Submarine rides are more WOWing than what I fear they will be.
Have you been on Nemo? While it's "cute", for me, it's definitely not a WOW thing.
There's still the chance that the Nemo Subs at DL will hearken back to the days of yore, when Imagineering was something to be in awe of.
~Steve

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Wed 28, 2007 11:17 am

spaulo wrote:There's still the chance that the Nemo Subs at DL will hearken back to the days of yore, when Imagineering was something to be in awe of.
I'm guessing they are going to use the same effects for Living Seas: Nemo. They are pretty cool. I hope they don't only do that though. I enjoyed the "now that I'm older they don't look so real" animatronics throughout the ride.