Disney Castles

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

bgammill
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Disney Castles

Post by bgammill » Aug Wed 02, 2006 2:43 am

I've never been to DL, but i've been 5 minutes away from WDW all my life. From what i've seen in pictures, isn't the castle at WDW skinnier and taller than the one in DL? The one in DL looks short and chubby. Anyone have any ideas?
WDW History: I've always stayed offsite (my own house), because I've always lived in Orlando. But since I've become a Cast Member, I've thought about staying onsite.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Aug Wed 02, 2006 9:12 am

The DL Sleeping Beauty Castle is shorter and much less grand than Cinderella's at WDW. But for what it lacks in grandeur it makes up in charm.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Wed 02, 2006 10:05 am

From what I remember, everything at DL is built on a smaller forced perspective scale. They simply didn't have the room at DL to build everything larger. We all know this isn't the case at WDW.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Aug Wed 02, 2006 10:51 am

Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland is much smaller than Cinderella's Castle at WDW...

One of the reasons, reportedly, is that upon touring Europe (especially France) looking at old castles to design SBC for the opening of DL, Walt was told that lords built their castles large and tall so they would strike fear into the populace and make potential opponents think twice before taking on the power that lives there.

Walt, of course, decided this simply wouldn't do. So SBC is smaller, "cuter," more about charm than imposition and meant to be a welcoming sight, not an imposing one.

CC at WDW is meant to be seen... if only barely... from across the Seven Seas Lagoon. Therefore it is much, much larger.

I like them both, but Sleeping Beauty's Castle is Walt's castle.
~Steve

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Aug Thu 03, 2006 12:42 am

spaulo wrote:Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland is much smaller than Cinderella's Castle at WDW...

One of the reasons, reportedly, is that upon touring Europe (especially France) looking at old castles to design SBC for the opening of DL, Walt was told that lords built their castles large and tall so they would strike fear into the populace and make potential opponents think twice before taking on the power that lives there.

Walt, of course, decided this simply wouldn't do. So SBC is smaller, "cuter," more about charm than imposition and meant to be a welcoming sight, not an imposing one.

CC at WDW is meant to be seen... if only barely... from across the Seven Seas Lagoon. Therefore it is much, much larger.

Beautifully said. I concur.

kapper1965
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by kapper1965 » Aug Thu 03, 2006 2:50 pm

i do think that dl castle is much more quaint (as is the whole park) than wdw's. what's amazing is the difference in the feeling between the 2 parks. i have spent most of my life going to wdw so i am used to the grandure of the mk in florida. what's strange is when you go to dl, at first, main street feels kind of dizzying. it looks right, but because it's smaller it throws the senses off. but i love both castle's evenly! i am really impressed on how the 2 parks each handled the 50th anniversary decoration. i hope that the characters stay up on the castle in orlando. i have never been a fan of characters infiltrating things in the parks that traditionally didn't have characters (such as EPCOT) but it really works in florida.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Aug Thu 03, 2006 5:02 pm

I can definatly say I agree about not being a fan with characters infiltrating things in Epcot.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

kapper1965

Post by kapper1965 » Aug Thu 03, 2006 6:01 pm

last time i was there, in may, i was a little taken back by the characters coming out to greet us before opening and the music stricktly being of a character nature. then we had to follow the charactrer to our pavillion of choice. i guess the old jack wagner speech about walt's vision for epcot is gone, just like walt's vision for epcot is gone. oh well, i have faith that the new management will get things going back to the way they once were. i do understand though that this will take some time.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Sat 05, 2006 8:50 am

Are the castles in DLP and DLT larger or are they on the same scale with WDW MK CC? It seems from the picture I've seen that everything at DLT is built on a grander scale.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

kapper1965

i thought they were from the same blue prints

Post by kapper1965 » Aug Sat 05, 2006 10:52 pm

from what i understand the dlt and wdw castles were built from the exact blueprints. infact i thought the park when first opened shared layout and many of the same facades as florida. did anybody else hear this or i making this up?

Just Believe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Just Believe » Aug Wed 09, 2006 6:33 pm

The Disneyland castle is only like 70 ft tall I believe and WDW's in 185 ft I recall. Though smaller and much different both are grand in their unique ways. DL's castle for the longest time housed the Sleeping Beauty walk through attraction which was my favorite ride until I was 4 years old. (What can I say... I thoguht she was pretty) 8)
Do you think have enough time to go the bathroom before the next show?

We can't you old fool, WE'RE BOLTED TO THE SEATS!!!

-Statler & Waldorf
Muppet Vision 3D

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Aug Fri 11, 2006 2:16 pm

spaulo wrote:Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland is much smaller than Cinderella's Castle at WDW...

Great way to summarize. Even though I've never been to DL, I have to agree totally that SBC is "Walt's castle." That alone adds character and nostalgia knowing it was literally part of his dream turned reality.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Sun 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Growing up on WDW though, seeing Sleeping Beauty's Castle (sort of) at the end of mainstreet in DL seems so odd. I guess DL goers would feel that about the huge castle in WDW but it just doesn't seem the same walking down Mainstreet without the big ol' castle to greet you.

robwhite

Post by robwhite » Aug Wed 16, 2006 9:32 am

The WDW Cinderella's Castle is described as Spectacular,While the Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle is described as Charming.However im pretty Curtain that WDW's is Larger in Size :mickey:

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Aug Wed 16, 2006 9:48 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Growing up on WDW though, seeing Sleeping Beauty's Castle (sort of) at the end of mainstreet in DL seems so odd. I guess DL goers would feel that about the huge castle in WDW but it just doesn't seem the same walking down Mainstreet without the big ol' castle to greet you.
I very much agree. I've only been to WDW (so I am biased), But I remember, as a kid, LOVING Cinderella's castle, with the blue tops for the turrets... I loved how it looked like something out of a storybook. (hehe or even Neuschwanstein). I think it would just be wierd to see a different castle at the end of main street. Not that I wouldn't like the opportunity to actually see! (If I ever make another visit to Cali... I'll have to spend a day or two at DL)
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"