Filming at the parks

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Fri 28, 2006 9:13 am

Does filming (digital...filming?) the inside of rides count as getting away with something? We only use them for our trip memories.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Fri 28, 2006 10:56 am

Unless they say you can't film, you're probably ok (if you don't use exterior lighted screens!)

I filmed the entire float through of Pirates with my external screen closed and even my finger over the red "record" light... no comments from any CMs or fellow riders.
~Steve

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Fri 28, 2006 9:51 pm

Unless they say you can't film
I filmed Ellen and RnR
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jul Sun 30, 2006 3:08 am

spaulo wrote:Unless they say you can't film, you're probably ok (if you don't use exterior lighted screens!)

I filmed the entire float through of Pirates with my external screen closed and even my finger over the red "record" light... no comments from any CMs or fellow riders.
My brother and I just finished a ride through of the new pirates 1 hour and 15 minutes ago. We were the only ones in our boat and we filmed the whole thing. The screen was on but there weren't any people in any of the boats following us, does that count.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jul Mon 31, 2006 12:54 am

I don't think filming for personal user is a problem unless it ruins other people's guest experiences.

They do not like media filming to use for documentaries, news, commercials, stuff like that. Well, without premission.

So if your equipment looks professional, security will probably stop you.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

QuickGold
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by QuickGold » Jul Mon 31, 2006 9:25 am

Mostly they don't want exterior lighting. And on rides like Rnr, it's not that they don't want you taping (like copyright infrigngement) but rather they're afraid you'll lose your grip on the item and it then becomes a huge flying brick that could hit a guest.
Matt

[b][url=http://www.studioscentral.com]Studios Central[/url]
[url=http://www.wdwtoday.com]WDW Today Podcast[/url]
[url=http://www.towerofterror.org/tower.html]TowerOfTerror.Org[/url][/b]

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jul Mon 31, 2006 9:31 am

I could see how taping on a rollercoaster could be a problem. It would probably be really hard to get a good video with all the twists and turns anyway. I mean really, how clear could it possibly come out?
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Jul Mon 31, 2006 10:44 am

jrcohen wrote:I could see how taping on a rollercoaster could be a problem. It would probably be really hard to get a good video with all the twists and turns anyway. I mean really, how clear could it possibly come out?
I've not filmed but I've taken digital photos on BTMRR and EE and they came out excellent.

And I've also used digital to film HM, Pirates as well as Wishes, Ilumminations and Fantasmic.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Mon 31, 2006 10:58 am

What kind of camera are you using? We've tried to use out digital to take pictures in some of the rides and of the fireworks, and it seems without a flash it's too dark, but with a flash you're only lighting up a few feet in front of you so it doesn't help.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Mon 31, 2006 11:33 am

If you have a good enough camera, you can adjust the aperture and film speed to allow light to get in with a fast shutter... that way you could get some crisp photos on fast-moving rides...

Of course, you would probably need an SLR for all that control. Mine was just under $1000 but they have cheaper ones now...
~Steve

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jul Mon 31, 2006 2:01 pm

jrcohen wrote:I could see how taping on a rollercoaster could be a problem. It would probably be really hard to get a good video with all the twists and turns anyway. I mean really, how clear could it possibly come out?
take a look at www.themeparkreview.com sometime. they film alot of rollercoasters and the images are nice and clear. they also film other rides (besides coasters, though they are the majority) and full coverage of parks. they also set the videos to different songs that seem to fit what they're trying to say...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

DaWhoLaGn
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by DaWhoLaGn » Jul Mon 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Of course, you would probably need an SLR for all that control. Mine was just under $1000 but they have cheaper ones now...
That's correct. You can get a several good "Entry Level SLR" for around $350+ that allow you to control shutter speed, aperture etc.

I was using a Fuji S5000 for a while which was low in cost but gave me full control of these features.

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Aug Tue 01, 2006 9:56 am

DaWhoLaGn wrote:
That's correct. You can get a several good "Entry Level SLR" for around $350+ that allow you to control shutter speed, aperture etc.

I was using a Fuji S5000 for a while which was low in cost but gave me full control of these features.
I'm guessing these "entry Level SLR" that you speak of are not digital?

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Aug Sat 05, 2006 9:51 am

I've never had a problem taking videos with either my mini-vhs camcorder or my Kodak digital camers which will also take .mov files. My favorite was when I filmed Primeval Whirl. It's a pretty cool ride, but my kids like watching it just to hear my wife start to scream when the coaster starts to spin.

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Fri 08, 2006 2:03 pm

bdinger wrote:We were on Pirates (in WDW) one time and, while on the ride, they announced something over the PA about not filming with an external light. I think Disney uses "night vision" type technology on their security cameras in dark attractions. When someone uses a camera with night mode on it, I think Disney's cameras see this as light, even though it's not really lighting up the attraction for other guests.
I heard about this happening on Space Mountain. Apparently when they have their night vision going, and someone uses an infrared type camera for night vision, to the rider operator it looks like a blinding light making everything white which poses as a serious safety concern.