Misnomers

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Misnomers

Post by cy1229 » Apr Mon 11, 2016 12:41 pm

I was wondering if there's anything Disney that you think is incorrectly named, or the name is "out of date?"

For example, "Pop! Century" should really be named "Pop! Half-Century" since they never "finished" the other half but instead built Art of Animation. (Which disappoints me. Not to "dis" on AoA but I was really looking forward to seeing the theming of the first half of the 20th century.)

Any other misnomers you can think of?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Misnomers

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Mon 11, 2016 2:29 pm

I agree with you on Pop! and was really looking forward to the classic years.

Clearly, Hollywood "Studios" won't really fit now that there are no studios there. I think the closest thing would be the Great Movie Ride in that it takes you into the movies and has a studio look and feel to it when you board your ride vehicle.

Ellen's Energy Adventure needs to be overhauled because it is painfully out of date. I think the folks in Orlando are just waiting for a few other projects to finish up. I'd love to see Ellen still in it, but definitely remove Bill Nye as he's kind of gone off the deep end. Perhaps Neil deGrasse Tyson would be a better fit...he'd just need to work on being a little more animated.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Mon 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Which is probably why that pavilion will never be updated (replaced with something totally different, sure). Red state citizens went nuts at a health pavilion update they tried. Unless they had the message that climate change is a myth, which the oil companies would love, they will probably not be pleased, and if that was the message then a reputable scientist would never sign on.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Tue 12, 2016 6:31 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I agree with you on Pop! and was really looking forward to the classic years.

Clearly, Hollywood "Studios" won't really fit now that there are no studios there. I think the closest thing would be the Great Movie Ride in that it takes you into the movies and has a studio look and feel to it when you board your ride vehicle.

Ellen's Energy Adventure needs to be overhauled because it is painfully out of date. I think the folks in Orlando are just waiting for a few other projects to finish up. I'd love to see Ellen still in it, but definitely remove Bill Nye as he's kind of gone off the deep end. Perhaps Neil deGrasse Tyson would be a better fit...he'd just need to work on being a little more animated.
NdGT can be pretty daggone animated! He's one of my absolute favorites. My best friend from high school calls him my boyfriend. :lol:

It does need some serious updating but it would be super expensive. And I'd love to see them change the dialogue and scene to stop giving the misconception that petroleum came from dinosaurs. The dialogue doesn't say it outright, but the dinosaur scene sure does mislead people.

:lol: maybe they could hire me as an energy education consultant. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Tue 12, 2016 8:00 am

I think the Universe of Energy Pavilion should primarily focus on...wait for it...Energy...how we get it and use it today...and how we can best use it tomorrow. I have no problem referencing things like climate change, but it certainly shouldn't be the focal point at all...because it has nothing to do with energy. We still have no clue how much impact we actually have on the global climate. Everything regarding climate change has been politicized so much that it's hard to trust anyone...even scientists. I'm not a climate change denier whatsoever as I do firmly believe our overuse of fossil fuels is causing global change. I know we need to change how we create energy and use it. But I also know there are other factors that affect the global climate as much and more than we do...and sadly those factors are almost completely ignored. Perhaps it's just a result of our humanity, that we don't like things we cannot control so we tend to focus mainly on the things we can. Thus, my segue into what I think would be great for an updated Universe of Energy Pavilion. Something that showcases the benefits of clean energy and how it can be both economical and efficient. Who wouldn't love to have the ability to charge their cars at home or work and never need to go to a gas station? Who wouldn't love to all but eliminate smog and air pollution we have today? Give people a reason to want to make a change in how they get and use energy. Make it exciting and fun while you educate them. This is something I think NdGT is very good at...and sadly something Bill Nye no longer is. Convince me to make a difference...convince me to be the difference. That's how you revamp that pavilion.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Considering Texas places massive restriction on Tesla, I would say there are a healthy number of citizens who are quite vocal against electric cars. :D

The problem is that the attraction is not, and will not, ever be a sexy topic that will drive guests to the park. Which means, it will not be an earner. What it would need is a sponsor. Thirty years ago it would have been realistic for an energy company to sponsor, now it would be the equivalence of setting a huge pile of money on fire with zero benefit for the company. The main reason Exxon even likely did their stint was that they make a consumer product, which means they theoretically have a chance to promote their brand. But then, they aren't going to want to discuss non-petroleum products at the same level, which means it would need to focus heavily on their stuff... which gets us the same pavilion as before. Still, even mentioning climate in the discussion of energy is a general non-starter for some flyovers. Bill Nye is still equally as good as Tyson, but Nye still hates Disney with a fury over them retaining the rights to his brand.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Thu 14, 2016 9:35 am

I think the days of big corporate sponsorship are over and have been since the last recession. That's why everything Disney does now revolves around their IPs. Everything can be treated as a marketing cost on some level.

Wonders of Life could possibly incorporate Inside Out and it would still make sense. As far as the Energy Pavilion...I would love to see perhaps a regional co-op or group of them come together to partially sponsor the pavilion. There are a lot of regional and local energy companies and co-ops who specialize in renewable energy. Would it be worth their dollars? Heck no. But it's not worth it for any company to do it other than to be associated with the Disney brand. Maybe a deal could be worked out to have Disney help them with marketing or advertising as part of the deal. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back to the topic...sadly, I think Norway is going to be "incorrectly named" when it re-opens with an "Arendelle" makeover.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Thu 14, 2016 10:03 am

Love the Wonders of Life idea. I like that pavilion and wish they'd do more with it than just use it for special events.

I think Ellen's should really be renamed the Dreamfinder. Or perhaps Ellen's Snooze Adventure?

Stitch's Great Escape could be renamed Stitch's Great Burrito Escape - given that the only thing I ever remember about that show is his bad breath.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Thu 14, 2016 2:21 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I think the days of big corporate sponsorship are over and have been since the last recession. That's why everything Disney does now revolves around their IPs. Everything can be treated as a marketing cost on some level.

Wonders of Life could possibly incorporate Inside Out and it would still make sense. As far as the Energy Pavilion...I would love to see perhaps a regional co-op or group of them come together to partially sponsor the pavilion. There are a lot of regional and local energy companies and co-ops who specialize in renewable energy. Would it be worth their dollars? Heck no. But it's not worth it for any company to do it other than to be associated with the Disney brand. Maybe a deal could be worked out to have Disney help them with marketing or advertising as part of the deal. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back to the topic...sadly, I think Norway is going to be "incorrectly named" when it re-opens with an "Arendelle" makeover.
They were over long before that, when companies realized they can better control and update their campaigns (and get more impressions) online than they could ever get in a theme park. The only deal that would probably work now would be something along the lines of getting a major discount on a resource from a company run by people so old they are still convinced the internet is just a fad. :D I am somewhat surprised innoventions has not just closed up shop since it relies heavily on sponsorship for exhibits and you can't make compelling content without some tie to real world applications as finer details are usually owned by other companies.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 14, 2016 8:44 pm

momeja wrote:Love the Wonders of Life idea. I like that pavilion and wish they'd do more with it than just use it for special events.

I think Ellen's should really be renamed the Dreamfinder. Or perhaps Ellen's Snooze Adventure?

Stitch's Great Escape could be renamed Stitch's Great Burrito Escape - given that the only thing I ever remember about that show is his bad breath.
Put another chalk mark in the column for Inside Out in the old Wonders of Life pavilion. Shame that space rarely gets used. I miss Buzzy :(
Agreed on Stitch ~ ugh, I miss Skippy being a bigger part of the show too!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Fri 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Oh...and while we're at it...we can stop calling it "Future World" since there isn't really anything about the future there. You can vaguely argue that Mission: Space is because it is set in the future...but it's more of a simulator than a view into the future. What would I rename it to? I don't know...that's above my pay grade.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Fri 15, 2016 6:47 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Oh...and while we're at it...we can stop calling it "Future World" since there isn't really anything about the future there. You can vaguely argue that Mission: Space is because it is set in the future...but it's more of a simulator than a view into the future. What would I rename it to? I don't know...that's above my pay grade.
Past Future World
Future World of Yesterday
Once Upon a Dream World
Cool Stuff We Should Have Done World
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Apr Sun 17, 2016 9:07 am

Club Cool in Epcot should be renamed to "Club Sticky Floors with Beverly". I actually really enjoy the Beverly flavor. That's a good idea for Disney/Coke Marketing right there......release some Beverly shirts, please!
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 17, 2016 8:05 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Club Cool in Epcot should be renamed to "Club Sticky Floors with Beverly". I actually really enjoy the Beverly flavor. That's a good idea for Disney/Coke Marketing right there......release some Beverly shirts, please!
:lol: :lol: :lol: We completely forgot about going in Club Cool on our last vacation :(

momeja

Post by momeja » Apr Wed 20, 2016 7:57 am

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Club Cool in Epcot should be renamed to "Club Sticky Floors with Beverly". I actually really enjoy the Beverly flavor. That's a good idea for Disney/Coke Marketing right there......release some Beverly shirts, please!
I bet you like drinks with Campari in them, too. :P