The return of Captain EO

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

bkyrdmoviemom
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Re: The return of Captain EO

Post by bkyrdmoviemom » Feb Tue 08, 2011 1:48 pm

theBIGyowski wrote: "Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
RIGHT ON! I fully agree BIGyowski!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 08, 2011 3:56 pm

bkyrdmoviemom wrote:I just don't get it - the whole Capt EO.. I'm sure I'm opening up a can of worms and I mean, no disrespect to the dead...but MJ and/at DL in the first place? Really? Even when it was really popular back in the mid to late 80's, we might go see it every other visit type of thing. Obviously not a MJ fan, I know. sorry if I offended anyone.

I just think they could be so much more creative! They have a great venue available....and the most talented people in the world. They could have created an amazing Tron type of thing, would have worked perfectly in Tomorrowland.
I'm also never afraid to talk to the "suits" ;), what have a I got to lose, right?

Honestly, it was just like every other show attraction that has been removed. When it started people would go see it in droves, but for the last 10 or so years of it's life it would just have small crowds, most of whom were probably just there for the AC.

I liked Meet the Robinsons too, but odds are it's lack of connection/memorable protagonist made it a one time film rather than a series.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Tue 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I liked Meet the Robinsons too, but odds are it's lack of connection/memorable protagonist made it a one time film rather than a series.
The real problem is that they didn't use a DeLorean for the time machine. Had they done that...it would have gotten at least one sequel. :wink:

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Peerless83
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Peerless83 » Mar Tue 15, 2011 6:11 am

I had the chance to see Cpt. EO when it first returned to Epcot (actually I saw it twice)..and I think that was 2 times too many! I think it is time for Disney to use that space for something that will blow audiences away...not take them back to the mid 80's.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Tue 15, 2011 9:37 am

Peerless83 wrote:I had the chance to see Cpt. EO when it first returned to Epcot (actually I saw it twice)..and I think that was 2 times too many! I think it is time for Disney to use that space for something that will blow audiences away...not take them back to the mid 80's.
Which is funny when you consider how many people want to turn the clock back on EPCOT and take it back to the 80's - dump Test Track, bring back World of Motion, dump Mission: Space bring back Horizons, dump Journey Into Your Imagination, bring back the original Journey Into Imagination...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 15, 2011 11:03 am

mindflipper wrote:
Peerless83 wrote:I had the chance to see Cpt. EO when it first returned to Epcot (actually I saw it twice)..and I think that was 2 times too many! I think it is time for Disney to use that space for something that will blow audiences away...not take them back to the mid 80's.
Which is funny when you consider how many people want to turn the clock back on EPCOT and take it back to the 80's - dump Test Track, bring back World of Motion, dump Mission: Space bring back Horizons, dump Journey Into Your Imagination, bring back the original Journey Into Imagination...
Ooo! Good observation mindflipper!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Tue 15, 2011 11:11 am

However, I do fully agree with Peerless83 - bring back Captain Eo was like a giant leap backwards. The 3D quality is very poor compared to HISTA, which is poor compared to Philharmagic. With the newer films, the 3D quality improves. Disney needs to find a new 3D film(s) to put in their in its place.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Well, they made it clear that it was purely fan service (and special merch. opportunites for fans :D) while they work on the next film to be played. Plus it was nice that they now have two attractions featuring dead drug addicts at disneyland.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » May Wed 18, 2011 9:00 am

What is the other attraction in DL? I haven't been there in almsot 25 years, so I am clueless about DL attractions!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Wed 18, 2011 9:14 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Well, they made it clear that it was purely fan service (and special merch. opportunites for fans :D) while they work on the next film to be played. Plus it was nice that they now have two attractions featuring dead drug addicts at disneyland.
What is the second attraction? :?:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Wed 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Peter Pan.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Wed 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Peter Pan.
I'll bite...dead drug addict??
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Wed 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Peter Pan.
I'll bite...dead drug addict??
Yup, I'm lost too :?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Wed 18, 2011 8:57 pm

He is referring to Bobby Driscoll, the child actor who voiced Peter Pan in animated movie by Disney, who died in the sixties from his addiction to narcotics. However, I don't know if it was actually Bobby Driscoll's actual vocals that were used in the ride. In some cases, other voice actors were used to voice the characters in the attractions/rides, so I don't really know if he is the voice of Peter Pan in the ride or not.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Wed 18, 2011 8:57 pm

The voice of peter pan, Bobby Driscoll, was found dead in an alley (heart failure attributed to chronic drug addiction). Had no money or ID, so he was buried in the hobo graveyard in NYC, and it took 19 months for the mother to find out.