The return of Captain EO

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Tue 23, 2010 4:18 pm

With the 3D movie technology of today, I would rather see something new done with the current technology. The 3D in Captain Eo to me was extremely poor. Give us something new (and hopefully good!)!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Feb Tue 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I agree it was poor and I can't imagine what they could do to spruce it up, but I'm sure they did something.

I agree with the something new idea. I am getting tired of the HISTA as well.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Feb Wed 24, 2010 9:38 am

I wasn't aware HISTA was so poorly received in DLR. It makes sense then to bring back Captain EO without plans to do something else. Though, it does also make sense (along the lines of my theory) that they would change it at DLR first because HISTA is so unpopular there.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Feb Wed 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Well? Has anyone gone yet? I saw the crowds weren't too heavy. I hope it's enough of a success so I can see it (never did get to the original).
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Thu 25, 2010 11:43 pm

mindflipper wrote:Soarin08: Currently, there are no plans to bring back Captian Eo to EPCOT, WDW. This is only a limited engagement in Disneyland.
And for that I am glad.

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Mar Tue 16, 2010 10:40 am

I need to see Capain EO. I never got to see it the first time around....

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 16, 2010 12:35 pm

We got to see it last week. It was good to see it in the theatre again...but I didn't like the overuse of the moving floor. It was fine in a couple of places, but they didn't need to move and shake you as much as they did.

It was funny though, there was a decent mixture of folks who had seen the original and those seeing it for the first time. We heard quite a few inevitable chuckles at the cheesiness that was the '80's along with the reminiscent sighs of those that remember the '80's well. :) :roll:

Nevertheless, everyone cheered when M.J. came on screen. It was nice to hear both generations cheering for him.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I read that they did not bring all the special effects back from the original EO. I used to think the fog that sprayed out of the middle of the screen (I think when the ship crashes) was cool. Do they still have that? Kind of 3D on 3D.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 16, 2010 5:45 pm

horizons1 wrote:I read that they did not bring all the special effects back from the original EO. I used to think the fog that sprayed out of the middle of the screen (I think when the ship crashes) was cool. Do they still have that? Kind of 3D on 3D.
Unfortunately not...:( I was disappointed by that as well. They had a few lasers that shot out from around the theatre.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Wed 17, 2010 8:08 pm

I just went today to see it and since I never saw it before, I thought it was okay. It was all right for a cheesy 80s 3-D movie. It made me feel like I was watching Star Tours in 3-D.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Mar Wed 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Can you imagine how awesome it was back in the 80's??? I remember thinking it was the COOLEST thing at EPCOT.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Wed 17, 2010 10:09 pm

It made me feel like I was watching Star Tours in 3-D.
It's not something we noticed the first time around (we were kids and didn't pay attention to that kind of stuff), but my DH and I both said that the scene before they crash looks just like Star Tours...well, George Lucas did work on both projects and they would have been filmed not far apart from each other time wise...I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was indeed the same set.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Thu 18, 2010 3:53 am

MmeLeota wrote:
It made me feel like I was watching Star Tours in 3-D.
It's not something we noticed the first time around (we were kids and didn't pay attention to that kind of stuff), but my DH and I both said that the scene before they crash looks just like Star Tours...well, George Lucas did work on both projects and they would have been filmed not far apart from each other time wise...I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was indeed the same set.
I wouldn't be surprised about that, to be honest. It did have that Star Wars feeling going.

inkydog
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by inkydog » Mar Thu 18, 2010 8:29 am

A Meet The Robinsons short would be perfect!

However, the theming at EPCOT is so messed up now that the entire place is incoherent to me. I used to love it - peaceful, simple forms, optimism for the future... Now it's like some class project done by a group of ADHD students. I feel claustrophobic and confused when I'm there.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Thu 18, 2010 1:16 pm

inkydog wrote:A Meet The Robinsons short would be perfect!

However, the theming at EPCOT is so messed up now that the entire place is incoherent to me. I used to love it - peaceful, simple forms, optimism for the future... Now it's like some class project done by a group of ADHD students. I feel claustrophobic and confused when I'm there.
I couldn't agree more on both points! EPCOT is not what it used to be.

I have long felt there should be some sort of MtR attraction in Tomorrowland (DL) or EPCOT...theme-wise it would fit right in.