Disney Digital Movies

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Disney Digital Movies

Post by theBIGyowski » May Tue 13, 2014 9:29 am

I have an idea of something I think Disney should do.

They really want to push Digital Copy versions of their movies because the cost is dramatically reduced given that there is no physical media meaning production and shipping costs are completely gone. They also know all of the movies their customers own because most people enter the Disney Movie Rewards codes to register the movies. So my idea is that Disney offer these people reduced prices for digital copies of the movies they already own...if that movie didn't come with a digital copy. If they made the digital copy "add-on" only $4.99 or $5.99, they would sell millions, to people that otherwise would never spend more money because they already own the movies. Right now, these digital copies by themselves cost anywhere between $15 and $20. Again...no one who already owns the movies is going to pay that much. It also forces customers to buy the digital copy directly from Disney instead of going to iTunes or Amazon.

To me this is a no-brainer and I hope I am not the only person with this idea.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney Digital Movies

Post by Amy » May Tue 13, 2014 1:29 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I have an idea of something I think Disney should do.

They really want to push Digital Copy versions of their movies because the cost is dramatically reduced given that there is no physical media meaning production and shipping costs are completely gone. They also know all of the movies their customers own because most people enter the Disney Movie Rewards codes to register the movies. So my idea is that Disney offer these people reduced prices for digital copies of the movies they already own...if that movie didn't come with a digital copy. If they made the digital copy "add-on" only $4.99 or $5.99, they would sell millions, to people that otherwise would never spend more money because they already own the movies. Right now, these digital copies by themselves cost anywhere between $15 and $20. Again...no one who already owns the movies is going to pay that much. It also forces customers to buy the digital copy directly from Disney instead of going to iTunes or Amazon.

To me this is a no-brainer and I hope I am not the only person with this idea.
That's very smart!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 13, 2014 3:24 pm

And... how would you verify these people were first party purchasers and that they still have their original copy? :D

There's actually a reason digital prices are artificially higher than physical is that the publishers still have relationships with the old stores and while best buy and the like are on their way out, they don't want to totally enrage them and get products banned from the stores. That is literally the only reason the costs are so artificially high.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:And... how would you verify these people were first party purchasers and that they still have their original copy? :D

There's actually a reason digital prices are artificially higher than physical is that the publishers still have relationships with the old stores and while best buy and the like are on their way out, they don't want to totally enrage them and get products banned from the stores. That is literally the only reason the costs are so artificially high.
Zomg Wizz I'm going to agree with you. Write this date down... :lol: just kidding...

We bought a DVD from Half-price Books, used, and it still had the Ultraviolet code inside. Hubby plopped the code in online, and voila! It works! I don't know if HPB has any financial arrangement with publishers or production companies for the products it sells second-hand, but I doubt it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 13, 2014 10:26 pm

I would, but you've done it before, you should enjoy these rare moments where you are right. :D

They put expiration dates on Disney/every other publisher's codes that come with physical copies, but they rarely actually expire. Third party sellers (AKA "Used") have been a bane of the publishing industry since the dawn of the used-book store, the publishers hate it because someone is making multiple transactions on their property while the creators, publishers, etc. only get their cut of the initial sale. Only recently have they (print/movies/console games) started to do anything about it. First it was lobbying to get the first-sale doctrine to apply to everything rather than just computer software, then it was using (for games and movies) physical codes that would unlock extra content, and finally it was the end of physical content all together.

What is also complicating things is digital, as it does not degrade over time, has been ruled as something you can re-sell in some countries. Good for the consumer but terrifying for the publishers and content producers.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Thu 15, 2014 8:58 am

Actually...the only way you can get the discounted version of the digital copy is if you have entered the Disney Movie Rewards code and linked it to your MyDisney profile.

Because the same profile is linked to everything Disney...they know more about you and it's a way for them to profile. I assume that once a code is used...you can't use it anymore. If an original owner decided to not use a code...that's their fault.

So my idea is still valid if the code has never been used. It's a way to sell digital media to customer who otherwise would never buy it because the added cost is too much. Stores who sell Disney movies won't be out any money either...as people who already own Blu-Ray versions of Disney movies aren't going to go back to Best Buy to purchase the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital combo pack.

As a Disney movie collector, I would gladly spend $50-$100 total to get digital versions of all of the Blu-Ray movies I own. But I won't even give it a thought if I have to pay $10-$20 per movie.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 15, 2014 3:04 pm

It's sort of valid... the tipping point will have to be when Disney no longer relies on physical stores to sell their products. While you are thinking only about movies, if they suddenly cross Wal-Mart by undercutting them, then shelf space for their other products will magically vanish. "Sorry Disney Infinity, Skylanders needs more space..."

The other thing about digital... you think of it as super cheap, but for the providers they can take a larger hit per copy than you might think. For every penny that comes in via iTunes, Amazon, GooglePlay, etc. 33% of it goes to the store, factor in your own DRM, hosting, etc. So while it is cheaper to produce, the money coming in may not be enough to sustain it, additionally DRM requires they maintain servers to allow the content to play, if the servers are taken offline the product will not function and you will have angry people.

Here you go, I'll take a 10% finders fee for finding it for you. :D
http://www.dvdfab.cn/
And it works on more than just Disney movies, plus it will format to whatever device you want to play it on.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 16, 2014 9:57 am

I have DVDFab...and have used it in the past. I just don't have the version that can rip Blu-Ray movies.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Then it's time for an upgrade or... other methods. :D Best part, no DRM.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Then it's time for an upgrade or... other methods. :D Best part, no DRM.
are you suggesting I break the law? :wink:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Well, you did say you were willing to pay "Between 50-100" to rip just your Disney blu-rays... So breaking the law would be optional. :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Fri 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Anything that circumvents DRM is technically not permitted, but ripping CD's used to be illegal too and it's probably only a matter of time before this becomes allowed. By that time, maybe the studios will be selling digital-only downloads for a couple bucks each :)

http://lifehacker.com/5978326/is-it-leg ... that-i-own
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Technically, you aren't circumventing the DRM with this form of ripping, you are extracting select files rather than copying an entire disc. The courts, if I recall, have been pro-ripping but have no idea what they are approving. At the same time media companies are not required to allow it with their products.

They would likely never go to super cheap media since, short of building their own super popular service, they lose an automatic third of the income straight to the service provider, then need to pay out everyone else before they could even dream of seeing a profit. At that point they would just rather go streaming.

DRM also has a few weird issues that sometimes pop up, if you're traveling internationally, your books, movies, games, etc. may not function if you have left the approved region. They seem to look at the IP of where the device is rather than the account holder, so you end up with installed content being locked out.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Sat 17, 2014 7:42 am

Back the digital, techno-mumbo-jumbo train up a bit. If I buy a cd and rip it to my computer to load to my MP3 player, I'm breaking the law?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 17, 2014 11:39 am

In the UK (and other countries) you are, US not.