Disney Digital Movies

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Disney Digital Movies

Post by cy1229 » May Mon 19, 2014 6:15 am

Wizzard419 wrote:In the UK (and other countries) you are, US not.
So how are people supposed to listen to their old cd's on their MP3 players? Are they expected to re-purchase the music? If so that's downright idiotic.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 19, 2014 2:38 pm

The same way that women are supposed to have their husbands wave a flag in front of their car to clear the road when their wives are behind the wheel in Louisiana. Mainly, it's not enforced. :D

It might have changed recently though, but one reason they like to keep those things on the books is as a way in if they were unable to get a warrant any other way.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Mon 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Technically, you aren't circumventing the DRM with this form of ripping, you are extracting select files rather than copying an entire disc.
You cannot extract files from a DRM-protected DVD unless you remove that protection first.

And Wizz you're right, in the U.S. you can copy your own music.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 19, 2014 7:51 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:In the UK (and other countries) you are, US not.
So how are people supposed to listen to their old cd's on their MP3 players? Are they expected to re-purchase the music? If so that's downright idiotic.
It is, but think back to cassettes (or maybe records or 8 tracks)...when the CDs came out, I bet you purchased some of those same albums that you already owned.

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by snomasnayr » Jun Wed 04, 2014 9:54 am

cy1229 wrote:Back the digital, techno-mumbo-jumbo train up a bit. If I buy a cd and rip it to my computer to load to my MP3 player, I'm breaking the law?
I'm no law expert, but I have looked into the ripping of DVDs before. My understanding is that it is illegal to make programs that can break the DRM on a DVD, but it is not illegal to make a backup of the DVD (I'm guessing that includes using an "illegal" program to do it). I rip DVDs all the time, but only to watch on my iPod. It saves battery life not having to stream something, and I have it anywhere I go.

As for the CD ripping, I would assume it is legal, as long as you're not sharing the files you pulled off the CD or selling the CD to a used CD place and keep the files for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Here's what Wikipedia says about DVD ripping:

Circumvention of DVD copy protection

In the case where media contents are protected using some effective copy protection scheme, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998 makes it illegal to manufacture or distribute circumvention tools and use those tools for infringing purposes. In the 2009 case RealNetworks v. DVD CCA,[19] the final injunction reads, "while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."[20] This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.

The Librarian of Congress periodically issues rulings to exempt certain classes of works from the DMCA's prohibition on the circumvention of copy protection for non-infringing purposes. One such ruling in 2010 declared, among other things, that the Content Scramble System (CSS) commonly employed on commercial DVDs could be circumvented to enable non-infringing uses of the DVD's content.[21] The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) hailed the ruling as enabling DVD excerpts to be used for the well-established fair-use activities of criticism and commentary, and for the creation of derivative works by video remix artists.[22] However, the text of the ruling says the exemption can only be exercised by professional educators and their students, not the general public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_rippin ... protection