The Thousandth Happy Haunt

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

The Thousandth Happy Haunt

Post by ZenMondo » Mar Fri 28, 2014 2:44 pm

I had this idea for a short story quite a while back, but sat down last night and committed it to electrons.

Mike Howard has a plan to become a permanent fixture of a popular Disneyland Attraction, the Haunted Mansion.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/215014296/The ... appy-Haunt

I'd love to know what you think, I was trying for some real verisimilitude with all the Disney trivia I packed in just two pages of text.

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: The Thousandth Happy Haunt

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Fri 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Gonna give a lot of ppl ideas ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Nice ~ I enjoyed it :hm_ghost:

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » Mar Sun 30, 2014 1:27 am

Nice story! I like all the trivia you put into it. Were there really 2 murders in Disneyland?? :shock:

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Mar Sun 30, 2014 2:23 am

Mupsy90 wrote:Nice story! I like all the trivia you put into it. Were there really 2 murders in Disneyland?? :shock:
As to the Disneyland Murders: The first was a guest altercation in Tomorrowland, where a guy pulled a knife and stabbed the other guy. I think the guy that got stabbed actually died at the hospital later, but the fatal blow was done in the park.

The second is pretty much reported as members of two rival gangs showing up at the park and having it out in the parking lot, that left one kid dead.

In some research on how incidents like this are reported in the Orange County register, I have learned of (at least) two suicides at the Mickey & Friends parking structure. On in 2010 and one in 2012. I did not included these incidents in my story for thematic reasons. Though guests have died with the actual park due to doing things they were not supposed to do, like swim across the rivers of america or get out of a people mover car in the middle of the track -- these were not intentional suicides but just fatal accidents or in the parlance of CalOSHA and the like "incidents".

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » Mar Sun 30, 2014 9:54 am

Wow! I had known about some accidental deaths in Disney but never the murders. A bit scary when you think about it! Makes we wish the security at the gates actually checked people better instead of just peeking into the bag with a flashlight. Although it is sad that you even have to do that at a place like Disney. :x ugh

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 31, 2014 11:25 am

Anyhow, you can't become the 1000th Happy Haunt that way; Disneyland auctioned off that position in a charity auction to a lawyer.

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Mar Mon 31, 2014 10:37 pm

mindflipper wrote:Anyhow, you can't become the 1000th Happy Haunt that way; Disneyland auctioned off that position in a charity auction to a lawyer.
By all accounts, Carey "Jay" Sharp of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, who did win said auction, and has his name on a tombstone in the graveyard scene may be a happy haunt, but in name only. The original auction mentions that the position of happy haunt is "honorary". That and the fact that Mr. Sharp is alive and well, still protects the verisimilitude of my little two-page amusement.