Giving a Disney Store Cast Member a "Disney Moment"

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Giving a Disney Store Cast Member a "Disney Moment"

Post by ZenMondo » Mar Wed 19, 2014 11:28 am

So yesterday, I got to turn the tables somewhat and give a Disney Store cast member a "Disney Moment".

Yesterday was the release day for Frozen on blu-ray and dvd. My girlfriend had placed a pre-order on my behalf weeks and weeks ago, but we had to go to the mall and pick it up.

One of the "perks" of pre-ordering it was a pretty decent coupon -- so I decided to pick something else up. I went to pay with a card, and when you do so at the Disney Store, they ask to see your ID.

I presented my Autopia Driver's License -- a souvenir one can obtain at Disneyland at the attraction where you drive miniature cars around a miniature freeway. When presented she at first looked confused, then laughed uproariously, and then had to show all the other cashiers what I had just presented.

I kept the joke going, protesting sincerely, "Are you telling me, this is NOT a valid ID? I would think if anywhere would take an Autopia Driver's License it would be the Disney Store!"

Once my mundane California license was presented we finished up our transaction, but not before the friendly cashier smiled and told me I made her day.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Giving a Disney Store Cast Member a "Disney Moment"

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 19, 2014 11:33 am

That is awesome ~ so much fun! :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Wed 19, 2014 12:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Haha...so cool!

Walt would get a kick out of this.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by foldmama » Jun Tue 10, 2014 1:03 pm

So wait, you're telling me it's not considered acceptable ID at Disney! :mrgreen:

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jun Tue 10, 2014 10:27 pm

foldmama wrote:So wait, you're telling me it's not considered acceptable ID at Disney! :mrgreen:
I know, right? You know the same thing goes at the Parks. I was at that little pin shop in Frontierland this past April for my Birthday visit, and I did the same schtick with a cast member who had a service pin in excess of a decade (10 or 15 I do not remember) she just rolled her eyes and said, "You think you are the first one to try this?" I left my answer unspoken, "I did until now..."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 11, 2014 1:23 pm

ZenMondo wrote:
foldmama wrote:So wait, you're telling me it's not considered acceptable ID at Disney! :mrgreen:
I know, right? You know the same thing goes at the Parks. I was at that little pin shop in Frontierland this past April for my Birthday visit, and I did the same schtick with a cast member who had a service pin in excess of a decade (10 or 15 I do not remember) she just rolled her eyes and said, "You think you are the first one to try this?" I left my answer unspoken, "I did until now..."
That wasn't very Disney of her to do :(

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jun Wed 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Amy wrote:
ZenMondo wrote:
That wasn't very Disney of her to do :(
That's what I was thinking, but I've been in a snarky mood all week and thought it was just me being snarky to think that way.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Nah, I'm thinking part of being a Disney CM is the ability to smile, laugh and act as though whatever a guest tells/shows/does is an original...as long as it isn't inappropriate. Much like other service industries, the guest is always right, and the time for rolling your eyes is in your car or home, not at work, and certainly not in front of the guest. Most places don't offer that level of service, but Disney is one place that generally does, so actions like ZenMondo ran into stand out. And not in a good way.