Dude belts out "Let it Go" and NAILS IT!

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Dude belts out "Let it Go" and NAILS IT!

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Mon 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Amy wrote:
ImagineerWannabe wrote:Agreed, acapella is great and Straight No Chaser is my favourite. I think they have some other Disney medleys as well. My personal favourite will always be their version of the 12 Days of Christmas though...out of season, but priceless.
I'll have to check out some of their other Disney songs. I loved Rockapella from Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, and then found their regular songs. Got to see them a few years back in concert ~ still sounding good all these years later!
I'm a HUGE Rockapella fan and have seen them in concert every time they come to Birmingham. I am friends with a girl who graduated from Indiana and she used to send me her favorite songs from Straight No Chaser (since they were formed at IU). This was back when iTunes didn't really exist...so you could either get MP3s from Napster or your friends...and I guess I chose the legal of the two.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Tue 11, 2014 6:48 am

I didn't even know Rockapella was still around until a few years ago I was looking for some new music and found their Comfort and Joy CD. It's a great set of Christmas music with new songs as well. Although the original bass/vocal percussionist (at least I think that's the one) from Carmen San Diego days isn't with them anymore.

youtube has been my friend for finding SNC stuff, although it got confusing when one set of guys went pro and the IU student group still used the same name. I think they've become "Another Round" and let the older group keep the SNC name.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Tue 11, 2014 10:56 am

The only original members of Rockapella that are still with the group are Scott Leonard (lead singer) and Jeff Thatcher (vocal percussionist). One of the guys who started it stayed with the group for a long time and retired maybe 2-3 years ago. The guy who wrote "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" left the group not too long after the show ended, I believe. Rockapella has a more Motown sound now...which I think suits them very well...but they still do a lot of the classic stuff in concert.

Don't want to hijack the thread...but if you are fans of a capella music...go check out Naturally 7. They are amazing. I saw them open for Michael Buble several years ago...they are unreal.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 11, 2014 11:56 am

theBIGyowski wrote:The only original members of Rockapella that are still with the group are Scott Leonard (lead singer) and Jeff Thatcher (vocal percussionist). One of the guys who started it stayed with the group for a long time and retired maybe 2-3 years ago. The guy who wrote "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" left the group not too long after the show ended, I believe. Rockapella has a more Motown sound now...which I think suits them very well...but they still do a lot of the classic stuff in concert.

Don't want to hijack the thread...but if you are fans of a capella music...go check out Naturally 7. They are amazing. I saw them open for Michael Buble several years ago...they are unreal.
Thanks for the tip ~ will check them out sometime later today or this week. I had checked out Rockapella online so I knew that there were only two original members still in it before I saw them in concert, but boy can they sing/percuss (?)
I have Let it Go stuck in my head...again...as I am taking a few versions around to students this week to see which level of Frozen book is appropriate for them. I only have samples of Let it Go and Do You Want to Build a Snowman so at least I have a few songs to alternate getting stuck in my head. Going to have to turn up the Subsonic tunes a bit higher in the car between lessons :lol:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Wed 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Let it Go is stuck in my head too :) Maybe it's because we just got deluged with snow again. Something is wrong when I'm breaking in new winter boots in March!

Anyhow, I'm trying to adopt this viewpoint, courtesy of a former SNC member turned newscaster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5603Nzmzw however after shovelling out AGAIN, it's hard.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 12, 2014 8:54 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:Let it Go is stuck in my head too :) Maybe it's because we just got deluged with snow again. Something is wrong when I'm breaking in new winter boots in March!

Anyhow, I'm trying to adopt this viewpoint, courtesy of a former SNC member turned newscaster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5603Nzmzw however after shovelling out AGAIN, it's hard.
Cute ~ He actually sings really well too!

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Mar Tue 25, 2014 3:37 pm

my daughter taught herself to play "Let It Go" on the piano.
Daily.
Several times a day, in fact.

I'm ready to jump out the window! (but only the first floor)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Wyntuck wrote:my daughter taught herself to play "Let It Go" on the piano.
Daily.
Several times a day, in fact.

I'm ready to jump out the window! (but only the first floor)
:lol: I have 12 families with the entire Frozen piano book and 1 more family with just a couple of the individual song sheets. Yup, pretty much everyday is a Frozen song-fest in my head now...but the kids are certainly practicing more which is an entirely good trade-off in my opinion :D