Some Disney Magic Arrives in Chicago!

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Some Disney Magic Arrives in Chicago!

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Sat 19, 2013 11:13 am

Ok Midwesterners...it has finally arrived! The Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives: Presented By D23 exhibit has officially opened in Chicago! Located inside the Museum of Science and Industry, the exhibit takes a look at the Walt Disney Company from its inception to the present. I'm in the process of writing a blog post with LOTS of pictures. I'll post a link here as soon as it's done.

Though we've already visited, we wouldn't mind going again if a mini meet-up were arranged... :mrgreen:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Some Disney Magic Arrives in Chicago!

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sat 19, 2013 11:32 am

MmeLeota wrote:Ok Midwesterners...it has finally arrived! The Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives: Presented By D23 exhibit has officially opened in Chicago! Located inside the Museum of Science and Industry, the exhibit takes a look at the Walt Disney Company from its inception to the present. I'm in the process of writing a blog post with LOTS of pictures. I'll post a link here as soon as it's done.

Though we've already visited, we wouldn't mind going again if a mini meet-up were arranged... :mrgreen:
I almost forgot about this!! I wish there was a way for me to get up there soon. Do you know when it closes?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Sat 19, 2013 12:53 pm

cy1229 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Ok Midwesterners...it has finally arrived! The Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives: Presented By D23 exhibit has officially opened in Chicago! Located inside the Museum of Science and Industry, the exhibit takes a look at the Walt Disney Company from its inception to the present. I'm in the process of writing a blog post with LOTS of pictures. I'll post a link here as soon as it's done.

I almost forgot about this!! I wish there was a way for me to get up there soon. Do you know when it closes?
It runs through May 4th...plenty of time to visit! :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 19, 2013 2:13 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
cy1229 wrote:

It runs through May 4th...plenty of time to visit! :)
Didn't realize it ran that long ~ cool! I was actually hoping to meet my brother and niece there this weekend for his birthday. They are going on Sunday but with Figment's medical problems these past few days we won't be able to go quite yet :( Plenty of time to see the exhibition and arrange a mini-meet though! :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 20, 2013 1:34 pm

I just read the other day that this opened and was going to mention it! It would be great to do a mini-meet up! Is there a certain time that would work for everyone?! I know it's probably hard for Amy to say at the moment, but lets plan a date!!! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I just read the other day that this opened and was going to mention it! It would be great to do a mini-meet up! Is there a certain time that would work for everyone?! I know it's probably hard for Amy to say at the moment, but lets plan a date!!! :D
My brother and his daughter are at the museum today. They were more interested in the space junk exhibit and I doubt they will go to the Disney exhibit until we go. Not sure we can fit that in before we head to Disneyland or not so probably sometime in 2014 for us.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:I just read the other day that this opened and was going to mention it! It would be great to do a mini-meet up! Is there a certain time that would work for everyone?! I know it's probably hard for Amy to say at the moment, but lets plan a date!!! :D
My brother and his daughter are at the museum today. They were more interested in the space junk exhibit and I doubt they will go to the Disney exhibit until we go. Not sure we can fit that in before we head to Disneyland or not so probably sometime in 2014 for us.
You don't think you'd be able to go anytime next year either?! :(

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 20, 2013 8:58 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
Amy wrote:
You don't think you'd be able to go anytime next year either?! :(
Ummm, b-babe, this is 2013 so next year is 2014 ;)
On second thought, maybe I should have used another comma in my sentence...but yes, I'm hoping we can make it sometime before the exhibit is over in May 2014 ~ better? ;)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I know the weather in January is always iffy, but it's a great time for me to plan because I don't have to go anywhere for work, and toward the end of the month Ellie's swim season is winding to an end, and we can travel a little easier. I can't fathom going to Chicago and MSI without my family in tow! So, let's say we have a Midwestern Meet-up at MSI on January 25 or February 1?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 21, 2013 7:47 pm

cy1229 wrote:I know the weather in January is always iffy, but it's a great time for me to plan because I don't have to go anywhere for work, and toward the end of the month Ellie's swim season is winding to an end, and we can travel a little easier. I can't fathom going to Chicago and MSI without my family in tow! So, let's say we have a Midwestern Meet-up at MSI on January 25 or February 1?
Sounds promising. Depending on weather of course...I'll have to check with my brother if he knows that far out which weekend he will have his daughter :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Sorry Amy, I misread what you said!!! :lol:

Jan/Feb should work for us, I don't see why not!!! :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Wed 23, 2013 11:34 am

Ok... I just booked us a room for Friday 1/24 through Sunday 1/26 at the Hilton Chicago. It's on the south side of downtown. Got us a room with two double beds and two bathrooms at $108 a night AAA rate!!! Can you believe that rate?! Parking and Wifi are extra... $13 per day for wifi and $52 per day for self-parking (which is average in Chicago :shock: :shock: :shock: ). I requested a potential upgrade to the executive floor at $18 per night, which includes the lounge that serves continental breakfast. Hopeful we get the upgrade! Even if we don't, the rate is amazing for the location, and I thought I'd pass on the tip. A room with a double bed and just one bathroom goes for $99 a night w/ AAA, but 2 bathrooms for the 4 of us makes so much more sense.

Can we totally do this?!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 23, 2013 1:08 pm

cy1229 wrote:Ok... I just booked us a room for Friday 1/24 through Sunday 1/26 at the Hilton Chicago. It's on the south side of downtown. Got us a room with two double beds and two bathrooms at $108 a night AAA rate!!! Can you believe that rate?! Parking and Wifi are extra... $13 per day for wifi and $52 per day for self-parking (which is average in Chicago :shock: :shock: :shock: ). I requested a potential upgrade to the executive floor at $18 per night, which includes the lounge that serves continental breakfast. Hopeful we get the upgrade! Even if we don't, the rate is amazing for the location, and I thought I'd pass on the tip. A room with a double bed and just one bathroom goes for $99 a night w/ AAA, but 2 bathrooms for the 4 of us makes so much more sense.

Can we totally do this?!
Wow ~ the nightly rate sounds awesome, especially if you can upgrade to the lounge for only $18/night. But $52 per day for parking?! Holy carp! :shock:
I will take a look at the calendar and pencil it in ~ do you know which day you would likely go to the museum?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Wed 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Depending on weather, that weekend sounds ok from this end for now.

Oh, and I finally finished the post: http://thishappyplace.wordpress.com/201 ... o-chicago/

Warning: If you want to be totally and completely surprised by what is in the exhibit, don't read the blog post! Though we shared tons of pictures, we didn't show everything in the exhibit...there's got to be some sort of magic left... ;)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Wed 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Ok... I just booked us a room for Friday 1/24 through Sunday 1/26 at the Hilton Chicago. It's on the south side of downtown. Got us a room with two double beds and two bathrooms at $108 a night AAA rate!!! Can you believe that rate?! Parking and Wifi are extra... $13 per day for wifi and $52 per day for self-parking (which is average in Chicago :shock: :shock: :shock: ). I requested a potential upgrade to the executive floor at $18 per night, which includes the lounge that serves continental breakfast. Hopeful we get the upgrade! Even if we don't, the rate is amazing for the location, and I thought I'd pass on the tip. A room with a double bed and just one bathroom goes for $99 a night w/ AAA, but 2 bathrooms for the 4 of us makes so much more sense.

Can we totally do this?!
Wow ~ the nightly rate sounds awesome, especially if you can upgrade to the lounge for only $18/night. But $52 per day for parking?! Holy carp! :shock:
I will take a look at the calendar and pencil it in ~ do you know which day you would likely go to the museum?
We'd probably go Saturday 1/25. For you, Amy, I wonder if taking the South Shore line into Chicago, then transferring to the El would be a better deal. A pain, maybe, but certainly less $$. I know that you can park your car at the South Shore stations free of charge. For the 4 of us, it comes out to just about the same round-trip, maybe a little ahead but since we're picking Meghan up at 5:30 in Muncie then going to Chicago, we'd get in LAAATE. Don't really want to do that. Horrendous amounts of money for parking in downtown Chicago is pretty much par for the course, unfortunately.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012