Some Disney Magic Arrives in Chicago!

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Some Disney Magic Arrives in Chicago!

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 23, 2013 8:56 pm

The South Shore is down so much we never really bother with it. Much more convenient to have our car and come and go when we want to :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Fri 25, 2013 12:22 am

How exciting!!! That date should work for us, if that changes, I would let you know asap!

Nice job on the hotel cy! And parking in Chicago has always been insane and has gotten worse, unfortunately. We'll be driving in for the day! Looking forward to this! :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Fri 25, 2013 3:52 pm

We would likely be taking the Metra into the city and riding public transportation from there. That's what we usually do on Saturdays since the weekend pass is such a great deal!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sat 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Anyone know how easy it is to take the El or a bus from the Hilton to MSI? They charge parking at MSI, and it seems dorky to pay for parking twice. In Chicago.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Found a nice RTA map of Chicago ~ http://www.rtachicago.com/downloads/RTA%20SysMap.pdf
Google Maps ~ https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&g ... bjF3OqLMwP
And here is the info from the museum itself ~ http://www.msichicago.org/visit-the-mus ... ting-here/
I don't think the El runs along that route...
Looks like the bus would take just shy of 1/2 hour with the stops and the short walk to the bus stop from the hotel and then to the museum. Not sure what a bus ticket would run you, but it might be worthwhile to drive and pay the parking. The museum has a garage, but there is also outdoor parking with a parking meter paper slip set-up on the Henry Crown Space side (on Lakeshore)
And don't forget the Walt Disney Archives is an additional timed ticket entry, above the cost of getting in to the museum. You might qualify for a discount with your teaching background cy1229...not sure if you could finagle any sort of discount for the girls' admission or not. It doesn't look like there is any student discount beyond age 11. You might check with the Hilton to see if they have any discount tickets for the museum.
Hope some of that was helpful :D
We've lucked out on our last two trips as my brother had a membership and had tickets for us to use the one time, and I had free tickets the time before that for applying to the Month at the Museum program. Gosh I wish they would run that again and I could win!!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 07, 2014 9:44 am

I know the weather isn't playing nice right now, but are we still planning a meet-up at MSI on the 25th?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 07, 2014 7:42 pm

MmeLeota wrote:I know the weather isn't playing nice right now, but are we still planning a meet-up at MSI on the 25th?
As far as I know we are. I sure hope the weather cooperates because we are looking forward to it :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Tue 07, 2014 9:32 pm

We hope to be there! Bdude may be in Houston for work, if I can escape with him to the warmer weather, I may! If I am home, I will still come solo for the meetup!!! Hope the weather gets better, for sure!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Cool! I hear ya about escaping to somewhere warmer...Cbog40's conference is in Puerto Rico this year...you know I'm tagging along for that trip! (we're also trying to sneak a few WDW days in on the way back, if the budget will allow it)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Wed 08, 2014 6:18 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Cool! I hear ya about escaping to somewhere warmer...Cbog40's conference is in Puerto Rico this year...you know I'm tagging along for that trip! (we're also trying to sneak a few WDW days in on the way back, if the budget will allow it)
Now if only they would send Bdude somewhere cool like that!!! I will only tag along if we have enough Southwest points, so the verdict is still out. I would also hate to miss our meet up! I will keep you posted!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 15, 2014 7:34 am

Hey maybe we should exchange (real) names and phone numbers in a private message or something... Who all is definitely planning on being there?

And JSYK, there's a possibility of nasty weather here on central IN for that weekend, which might impede our ability to drive up.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 15, 2014 9:06 am

cy1229 wrote:Hey maybe we should exchange (real) names and phone numbers in a private message or something... Who all is definitely planning on being there?

And JSYK, there's a possibility of nasty weather here on central IN for that weekend, which might impede our ability to drive up.
I'll send a PM on FB as my inbox here is perpetually full...and I never remember to check it! I hope the weather holds :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Hopefully the weather will play nice...
*If* the weather doesn't, should we maybe consider an alternative date?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 15, 2014 2:25 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Hopefully the weather will play nice...
Most definitely! I'm guessing the cy1229 family is pretty well in since they require accommodations for their trip though...

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Amy wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Hopefully the weather will play nice...
Most definitely! I'm guessing the cy1229 family is pretty well in since they require accommodations for their trip though...
We would have to postpone to the latter half of February if the weather doesn't cooperate, or even the second week of March (Meghan's spring break) would work. Ellie has swim meets and practices scheduled through mid-February. This weekend happened to be a fluke weekend with nothing scheduled.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012