Saving Mr Banks

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Sun 14, 2013 11:38 pm

From IMDB:

So fervent was Travers' dislike of the Disney adaptation, and of the way she had been treated during the production, that well into her 90s, when she was approached by famed stage producer Cameron Mackintosh (Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Oliver!, Cats) to do the stage musical, she acquiesced upon the condition that only English-born writers (and specifically NO Americans) and no one from the film production were to be directly involved with the creative process of the stage musical. This specifically excluded the Sherman Brothers from writing additional songs for the production, even though they were still very prolific. However, original songs and other aspects from the 1964 film were allowed to be incorporated into the production. These points were stipulated in her last will and testament.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Mon 15, 2013 9:32 am

I want to say that this is Disney's attempt to show why Mrs. Travers felt the way she did about her stories and her beloved Mary Poppins. Most of the world doesn't know who Mrs. Travers is and I think this is a way to show that. Kind of like what was done with "Finding Neverland" and showing how Barrie came up with Peter Pan.

Sure there will be "Disney" magic added to sugarcoat a few things here and there...but I think the intent is to show Travers' side and why Mary Poppins was so important to her...and why she had so much frustration with Walt and the people who made the movie.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Mon 15, 2013 12:55 pm

I won't lie, I would have enjoyed to see Ryan Gosling as a younger Walt based on that fan art poster. But I am quite excited for this film because I love both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson so it should be something interesting!

crayonmonster
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by crayonmonster » Aug Sun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I suppose the movie is a "we wish it had happened this way" version...trying to give a happy ending to something unfortunate.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Sun 18, 2013 1:50 pm

After seeing the previews at the D23 Expo last weekend, I'm more excited for this film. I still can't see Walt in Tom Hanks, nor can I see Richard Sherman in Jason Schwartzman...but I think both will do well in their roles. Jason was at the expo and both him and B.J. Novak performed "Let's Go Fly a Kite" and Jason nailed the piano playing! He talked about going to Richard's home to learn his style of playing.
At another panel presentation, Bob Gurr mentioned that there are little nuances that were incorporated into the movie that brought back many memories from his days of working with Walt.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 18, 2013 3:18 pm

MmeLeota wrote:After seeing the previews at the D23 Expo last weekend, I'm more excited for this film. I still can't see Walt in Tom Hanks, nor can I see Richard Sherman in Jason Schwartzman...but I think both will do well in their roles. Jason was at the expo and both him and B.J. Novak performed "Let's Go Fly a Kite" and Jason nailed the piano playing! He talked about going to Richard's home to learn his style of playing.
At another panel presentation, Bob Gurr mentioned that there are little nuances that were incorporated into the movie that brought back many memories from his days of working with Walt.
Neat!

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 8:30 am

I am really interested in seeing this movie. I had no idea the story behind the development of Mary Poppins and I find this quite fascinating.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Wed 11, 2013 10:53 am

I'm so excited to see this movie! I loved seeing the pictures from the premiere and cannot wait to see Tom Hanks as Walt Disney!!!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Dec Wed 11, 2013 10:58 am

Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors because he's so versatile. I think we'll still be able to tell it's him, but I also think he's going to capture much of the essence of Walt Disney. Kind of like in Forrest Gump, or Philadelphia. After seeing more trailers for this film, it's on our "must-do" list. Probably opening night, since both girls will be officially done for the semester with finals, homework, etc on that night! Maybe a triple date with their boyfriends... yeah that isn't too weird. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Wed 11, 2013 11:35 am

I'm with you. I LOVE tom hanks and think he is one of the best actors ever. Definitely a viewing in the first weekend...maybe two! :-) If anyone is going to do WD justice, it is Tom Hanks.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Thu 12, 2013 10:25 am

DEFINITELY GO SEE THIS FILM!!!!
(yes, I'm yelling...) :shock:

We were fortunate enough to see it last week (in a double feature presentation with "Mary Poppins") in Chicago, and we both loved it! The storytelling and cast were both perfect! Now, I imagine that parts of the story were tweaked slightly for film purposes, but it was a wonderfully done film.

On a side note, Emma Thompson fully deserves the Golden Globe and SAG nominations she received for this role! Congratulations Ms. Thompson!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 12, 2013 1:00 pm

MmeLeota wrote:DEFINITELY GO SEE THIS FILM!!!!
(yes, I'm yelling...) :shock:

We were fortunate enough to see it last week (in a double feature presentation with "Mary Poppins") in Chicago, and we both loved it! The storytelling and cast were both perfect! Now, I imagine that parts of the story were tweaked slightly for film purposes, but it was a wonderfully done film.

On a side note, Emma Thompson fully deserves the Golden Globe and SAG nominations she received for this role! Congratulations Ms. Thompson!
Wow ~ sounds like a glowing recommendation! I'm guessing we will probably see it once it comes out on DVD. I don't know if it will make it to the cheap theater or not.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 15, 2013 2:38 pm

The only real problem is they re-wrote the history, especially the ending, which voids any real merit for the story.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 17, 2013 10:30 am

Wizzard419 wrote:The only real problem is they re-wrote the history, especially the ending, which voids any real merit for the story.
I agree with that. I know it was changed. But knowing the true ending doesn't change what I loved about the movie.

proudcanuck
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by proudcanuck » Dec Wed 18, 2013 3:46 am

I have not been to the theatre for a while, but I am planning on seeing this movie. Looks vey intriguing.