Saving Mr Banks

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Saving Mr Banks

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 8:08 pm

http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/20 ... see-today/

Ahhhhhhhh! So excited for this one!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 11, 2013 8:56 pm

I must admit the trailer for this movie intrigued me ~ I like Tom Hanks a lot so that helps.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 9:57 pm

That is like saying "I like money", he isn't know for being hated. :D He could even be cast as Hitler and people would still respond favorably.

I don't know about this film though, other than die-hards I can't see it having a huge draw. It might be another cloud atlas for Hanks (won't be a flop but won't be anything to write home about)...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 12, 2013 5:59 am

Wizzard419 wrote:That is like saying "I like money", he isn't know for being hated. :D He could even be cast as Hitler and people would still respond favorably.

I don't know about this film though, other than die-hards I can't see it having a huge draw. It might be another cloud atlas for Hanks (won't be a flop but won't be anything to write home about)...
You are probably correct, this probably won't be a hugely successful film, but who could turn down a chance to film at Disneyland as Walt Disney?!

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Fri 12, 2013 8:08 am

I have watched the trailer at least 25 times... I'm obsessed!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Fri 12, 2013 8:26 am

wish I could have been an extra when they filmed at DL

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 12, 2013 8:40 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:wish I could have been an extra when they filmed at DL
Wouldn't it have been fun to dress up in period clothing and spend the day enjoying the parks and then get to be in the movie?!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 12, 2013 9:16 pm

If it was anything like filming for the holiday specials, it mostly is you doing the same thing over and over with no enjoyment.

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Sat 13, 2013 9:01 am

It's hard to see Walt Disney, and NOT see Tom Hanks - but I honestly can't think of another actor who could have pulled it off better.

Thoughts?

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Sat 13, 2013 10:54 am

Tom Hanks is a very good actor. Since this movie is a Christmas release, it seems like the movie is going after some Oscar nominations. I could see Tom Hanks possibly getting a nomination for best actor, but I will wait and see the other contenders. I am also excited to see Jason Schwartzman and B.J. Novak as the Sherman Brothers. I feel like that this trailer is one of those instances where the entire movie is basically shown, the movie still looks good though. This is a Disney movie within a Disney movie, thus Disneyception.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 13, 2013 12:38 pm

rusafee1183 wrote:It's hard to see Walt Disney, and NOT see Tom Hanks - but I honestly can't think of another actor who could have pulled it off better.

Thoughts?
What about Ryan Gosling? (The poster was a fake one circulating last year)

Going from the synopsis, the movie isn't going to be remotely accurate in regards to how it all ends. Apparently the author was angry about the movie and never forgave Disney for what they did to her story. She wasn't even invited to the premiere and the final conversation between her and Walt didn't provide any closure.

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Sat 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:Tom Hanks is a very good actor. Since this movie is a Christmas release, it seems like the movie is going after some Oscar nominations. I could see Tom Hanks possibly getting a nomination for best actor, but I will wait and see the other contenders. I am also excited to see Jason Schwartzman and B.J. Novak as the Sherman Brothers. I feel like that this trailer is one of those instances where the entire movie is basically shown, the movie still looks good though. This is a Disney movie within a Disney movie, thus Disneyception.
My husband said he didn't like the casting for thw Sherman Brothers. I thought it was pretty great! But, then again I am a fan of both of those actors.

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Sat 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
rusafee1183 wrote:It's hard to see Walt Disney, and NOT see Tom Hanks - but I honestly can't think of another actor who could have pulled it off better.

Thoughts?
What about Ryan Gosling? (The poster was a fake one circulating last year)

Going from the synopsis, the movie isn't going to be remotely accurate in regards to how it all ends. Apparently the author was angry about the movie and never forgave Disney for what they did to her story. She wasn't even invited to the premiere and the final conversation between her and Walt didn't provide any closure.

He actually looks pretty perfect for a younger Walt! Tom Hanks looks more like older Walt closer to when he passed. Ryan Gosling is a lot thinner, so would have been a better version of a younger Walt.

Side note - I would also love to see this 'fake' movie. LOL. Hopefully this will happen eventually too. :ccat:

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Jul Sun 14, 2013 9:15 pm

The trailer is so intriguing, and I've heard for years that Mrs. Travers did say after the premier "we need to cut it"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 14, 2013 9:56 pm

She scorned Disney until the day she died, and then from beyond the grave through her will. Her demands influenced who was and was not permitted to work on the musical adaptation of the book, though they may have bent the rules allowing the Disney songs to be added in since she was not pleased with those either.