Saving Mr Banks

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 19, 2014 12:50 am

So they put in that she hated the movie, was banned from the premiere (had to be snuck in), and scored Disney not only to her last dying breath but beyond through her will? :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 19, 2014 9:44 am

Wizzard419 wrote:So they put in that she hated the movie, was banned from the premiere (had to be snuck in), and scored Disney not only to her last dying breath but beyond through her will? :D
They included the fact that she wasn't invited to the premiere...not sure they really had the other parts in there...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 19, 2014 12:30 pm

So they end the movie with "This movie is fiction, here is what really happened"? :D

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Mon 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Over an early section of the opening credits, they show the image of the reel-to-reel tape recorder from the movie playing a tape, and actual audio of the story meetings is played for a few minutes.

Its almost as a way of the producers saying, "see, she really was this horrid in the story meetings"

Just by coincidence I was at a rinky-dink little Wal Mart today and looking at Music CDs and a Mary Poppins soundtrack CD caught my eye. It has the 40th Anniversary packaging design from 10 years ago and was only $7! The best part -- a second CD full of bonus tracks -- including about 40 minutes of those self-same recorded story meetings. Well worth seeking out if you can find it!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 20, 2014 9:53 pm

ZenMondo wrote:Over an early section of the opening credits, they show the image of the reel-to-reel tape recorder from the movie playing a tape, and actual audio of the story meetings is played for a few minutes.

Its almost as a way of the producers saying, "see, she really was this horrid in the story meetings"

Just by coincidence I was at a rinky-dink little Wal Mart today and looking at Music CDs and a Mary Poppins soundtrack CD caught my eye. It has the 40th Anniversary packaging design from 10 years ago and was only $7! The best part -- a second CD full of bonus tracks -- including about 40 minutes of those self-same recorded story meetings. Well worth seeking out if you can find it!
That second bonus CD is a pretty neat find! Might need to troll the bargain bin at the local Walmart the next time I brave going there :lol:

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Mon 20, 2014 10:57 pm

It was actually on the rack on the soundtracks section. It was total happenstance. The only reason I saw it because it was on the outside of the rack in a jumble of disorganized CDs. It is kind of a running joke that I will sometimes buy movies because of the quality of the Special Features on the disc. Some of my purchasing decisions are based almost more on the Special Features than the actual movie itself. So when I showed my ladyfriend the CD and I said "guess what it has?!" and she said, "SPECIAL FEATURES!" and I pretty much said "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THIS!" She also loved Saving Mr. Banks so she also thought the Story Meeting Recordings were a cool feature. Man I would have paid money just for that. But I get two more long format audio special features, OH and the entire Soundtrack to Mary Poppins.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 21, 2014 8:07 am

ZenMondo wrote:It was actually on the rack on the soundtracks section. It was total happenstance. The only reason I saw it because it was on the outside of the rack in a jumble of disorganized CDs. It is kind of a running joke that I will sometimes buy movies because of the quality of the Special Features on the disc. Some of my purchasing decisions are based almost more on the Special Features than the actual movie itself. So when I showed my ladyfriend the CD and I said "guess what it has?!" and she said, "SPECIAL FEATURES!" and I pretty much said "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THIS!" She also loved Saving Mr. Banks so she also thought the Story Meeting Recordings were a cool feature. Man I would have paid money just for that. But I get two more long format audio special features, OH and the entire Soundtrack to Mary Poppins.
That really is a great find :D I sometimes find the behind the scenes stuff more interesting than the movies or the soundtracks themselves too!

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Jan Tue 21, 2014 5:10 pm

A shame this movie didn't score higher Oscar nominations.

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Tue 21, 2014 5:24 pm

wxwiz wrote:A shame this movie didn't score higher Oscar nominations.
I know a lot of Disney fans had hoped for this, and while the movie resonated with us, don't think it is anywhere near "best picture" quality for the Academy Awards. That being said I think Emma Thompson's performance probably was kind of worthy.

But me and the Academy never saw eye to eye on most things. I (retroactively while a teenager in the 1980s) lost faith in the Academy's judgement with who they went with for Best Picture of 1977. And then as Disney fans, we knew the elation and heartbreak of 1991. Though I know it was only hope that Beauty and the Beast would win best picture, I knew it was a long shot. But kudos for being the first Animated feature to be nominated for best picture! It was much later that best animated feature was even a category (which surprisingly not counting Pixar films, Disney has never won).

I usually do not follow "awards season" (though a dear friend who works in the press side of the entertainment industry is putting in 18 hours days right now because of it), do have hopes for Frozen and "Get a Horse!". While I think best animated feature will go to the Miyazaki film as a good-bye tribute, I have high hopes for Mickey Mouse winning his second (competitive) Oscar.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Fri 07, 2014 10:43 am

we went and saw this at the Theater and I just preordered it on the Disney movie club.It was a family favorite, even if some of the things about PL Travers aren't accurate!!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Mon 10, 2014 10:07 am

I have it pre-ordered on Amazon for only $22.99...and that price may go down in the next week like it just did for Frozen ($19.99 right now for all 3)

Saving Mr. Banks Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital

Can't wait to watch it...hopefully next week. :D

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Mar Wed 19, 2014 11:42 am

So yesterday, not only did Frozen come out on disc, but so did this fine film. I was hoping to use that good pre-order coupon I got for Frozen to go towards the purchase of Saving Mr. Banks. Unfortunately, the Disney Store did not get any copies. I went down to the F.Y.E. and they had one and only one blu-ray left. I was prepared and had as "back up" a five dollar off coupon from Disney Movie Rewards just for this situation.

Now having just watched this film for the second time since I went and saw it in the theatre this past winter, I think it is even better the second time around.

I know a lot of us Disneyphiles thought we were "snubbed" by the Academy this year, but I never really thought so -- I did not come away from the film thinking that the film, though superb by Disney standards did not have the kind of qualities that attracts those in charge of the Oscars.

I have changed my mind in one case: Paul Giamatti at least deserved a nomination for best supporting actor for his role of Ralph, the Disney Company Limo Driver. I gotta tell you, that was my favorite performance of the whole film, and Giamatti's acting was sincere and endearing.

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Sep Sun 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I got my copy of Saving Mr. Banks 2 months ago when they released the movie here in Germany but I didn't have the time to watch the movie untill tonight.

It is one of the best movies I have seen in the past few years.

Can anyone tells me why Travers father died?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:I got my copy of Saving Mr. Banks 2 months ago when they released the movie here in Germany but I didn't have the time to watch the movie untill tonight.

It is one of the best movies I have seen in the past few years.

Can anyone tells me why Travers father died?
I liked the movie as well ~ from what I can tell digging around online, she indicated he was a very heavy drinker and an alcoholic, with the official cause of death listed as epileptic seizure delirium.

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Sep Mon 22, 2014 1:23 am

Finally saw this one a couple weeks ago. Really enjoyed it! Loved the actual recordings. What a story!